Losing hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
If he is still on the Flagyl, is it causing him to go off of his food? (it usually give humans stomach side effects)
Or have you stopped that?

Gosh, you have worked so hard for him. No one could have done more...

He started the flagyl right when he stopped eating. He barely took the first pill but wouldn't take anymore.

I am trying my best for him. I will keep trying. Thank you!

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, England, UK
I haven't read through the whole thread, so apologies first of all. Sorry to hear he is not feeling well again... is the flagyl you have a suspension or the tablets?

Metronidazole (flagyl) can act as an appetite stimulant in tortoises.

tiffanyluvstorts

5 Year Member
I am a newbie here and this is my first post so I'm not even sure if it will be posted but I wanted you to know that I have been following you and Tank and my prayers are with you both. Please don't give up hope. Also, please keep up with these updates. I tune in just to see how things are going. Xoxo

ainfalt

5 Year Member
johnreuk said:
I haven't read through the whole thread, so apologies first of all. Sorry to hear he is not feeling well again... is the flagyl you have a suspension or the tablets?

Metronidazole (flagyl) can act as an appetite stimulant in tortoises.

It's in pill form. My boyfriend says Tank took the pill this morning and he took most of the pill this evening. I really hope it will help his appetite. He just seems so weak like all his energy is depleted.

tiffanyluvstorts said:
I am a newbie here and this is my first post so I'm not even sure if it will be posted but I wanted you to know that I have been following you and Tank and my prayers are with you both. Please don't give up hope. Also, please keep up with these updates. I tune in just to see how things are going. Xoxo

Welcome to the forum! This place is absolutely amazing and helpful with great people who are very experienced with tortoises.

Thank you for the prayers! I won't give up on him for sure. I care so much for him that It feels like I'm emotionally wearing down sometimes. Each day does bring more hope that he will eat and be/stay healthy. I'm not sure if this is lethargy or maybe he is the most sedentary tortoise ever.

I will keep up the updates as things change. Thank you again :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I am relatively new here and just read this entire thread. I feel so bad for you and Tank.
Sending jingles and white light.
How horrible to not be able to identify such a problem.
Ann from CT

ainfalt

5 Year Member
He seems to be doing about the same. He was walking a little bit more today and has taken his pill yesterday but has not eaten very much today. Not much change. :(

ckromulus

5 Year Member
ainfalt said:
He seems to be doing about the same. He was walking a little bit more today and has taken his pill yesterday but has not eaten very much today. Not much change. :(

I remember reading your first post about Tank! So sorry to hear this has happened to you. I'm pulling for Tank and it is obvious that you have done everything you can to save him, regardless of the outcome. Good luck and keep us posted!

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
I pray and hope for you Tank, keep fighting little man!

Owner of one little Hermann Tort. :)

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Just said a prayer for Tank. :) hope he will be better soon! I just read this entire thread & it was a heart tugger... I was soo happy when he ate again & then in tears when he stopped. :( keep US updated! More prayers will be sent up!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

ainfalt

5 Year Member
My heart just keeps breaking. I can't help but think that tank is losing whatever battle he's fighting. He hasn't eaten anything for the past 2 days & moves as little as possible. I don't know what else to do. When I come outside he used to pop his head up to see me. He doesn't even move or open his eyes now.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376013543.858180.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
This has to be so extremely hard for you.
It is hard to think about. It doesn't sound like he has very long...:(

gwenn

5 Year Member
my father says. take a wet towel. turn the turtle in it . keep it hot @ 104 farenheit . moisture by 80% .. he can have a lung inflammation. .

Sent from my GT-I9100 Belgium

KimC90

5 Year Member
I have been following you and tanks story and I wish the best for you both. My prayers go out to your home.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Did his bowels ever move? What did the vets give him for that?

krh11b23

5 Year Member
How is tank doing? It's been a while.

Oh sorry never mind I just saw

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Did his bowels ever move? What did the vets give him for that?

They gave him fluids, tube fed him, gave him antibiotics and probiotics I believe. He did end up getting rid of the constipation and dehydration he had but then he started to have some diarrhea. The vet gave him antibiotics for that in pill form (after I brought in a stool sample) which he wouldn't take because he wouldn't eat, not even his very favorite foods. He stopped most activity and then yesterday and today he's had a lot of bowl movements. Now his penis has been stuck out for 10 hours.

Tank exposed himself this morning & it's been out all day. Now I'm just worried about that. If it's not one thing, it's another....

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Ainfalt,

The last picture of Tank you posted made my heart just break for you. It's so obvious how much you love on him.

Did you try the moist towel suggestion made by Gwen ? It seems simple, but who knows.

The flashing for extended period of time is a conundrum. Wonder if he's just sexually frustrated and feeling the need? Again seems stupidly simple, but hell we humans can get out of sorts about nonsense, so why not torts?

I really do keep hoping for a positive update and was cheering for Tank when he finally got to the point the tube could be removed. This next set of roadblocks is just gut wrenching for me, and I'm sure everyone else here to read.

As you said, lots of positive energy is being directed at you and Tank so know that your story is heard and you have support. Keep loving on Tank, and whatever the outcome he has obviously been adored.

Chin up tort-momma, fight isn't over till its over so keep doing your best

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Status
Not open for further replies.