RIP big sweet guy, Tank.

Ann from CT

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i'm so so sorry for your loss but i sure am proud of you for the difficult decision you made, it shows how much love you had for that little guy! you did the best you could and no one could ask for more!

mikeh

5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss. It brought tears to my eyes. I read all your posts and my heart truly goes out to you. You did everything you could and knew.
If you decide to get another tort in the future and I believe you will make some torts life very happy, and you deserve it, I would get the back yard thoroughly checked for possible toxic chemical residues (rat poison, old chemical spills spots in soil that are being absorbed by grass, fertilizers, pesticide, etc) just in case. Especially since you rent not knowing what's been going on back there prior to you from previous tenant, owner or builder. Check with your neighbours if they are using any pesticide/chemicals/poisons that are leaching into your yard. Its a wild guess but at this point good as any and as it seemed he got better at the vet, only worse once back in the yard, and more importantly to eliminate this possibility for the future. Also as unthinkable as this sounds eliminate the possibility of a cruel neighbour of harming your tort by throwing poison over your fence while you are away. I hope I am not being insensitive, just don't want the same thing to happen to you if you decide to get another tort, which I hope you do!
My best,
Mike

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TortForum mobile app

ainfalt

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
I am so sorry for your loss. It brought tears to my eyes. I read all your posts and my heart truly goes out to you. You did everything you could and knew.
If you decide to get another tort in the future and I believe you will make some torts life very happy, and you deserve it, I would get the back yard thoroughly checked for possible toxic chemical residues (rat poison, old chemical spills spots in soil that are being absorbed by grass, fertilizers, pesticide, etc) just in case. Especially since you rent not knowing what's been going on back there prior to you from previous tenant, owner or builder. Check with your neighbours if they are using any pesticide/chemicals/poisons that are leaching into your yard. Its a wild guess but at this point good as any and as it seemed he got better at the vet, only worse once back in the yard, and more importantly to eliminate this possibility for the future. Also as unthinkable as this sounds eliminate the possibility of a cruel neighbour of harming your tort by throwing poison over your fence while you are away. I hope I am not being insensitive, just don't want the same thing to happen to you if you decide to get another tort, which I hope you do!
My best,
Mike

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TortForum mobile app

These are some good points to keep in mind. Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. I'm missing him like crazy. A good portion of my day (pretty much all the time I had when I wasn't working) was with him so I have a lot of time that I don't really know what else to do but miss him. I am thinking of volunteering at a tortoise rescue in the area if I can. I probably won't be getting one of my own for a while and I would like to wait until I've settled into a house that I buy myself. That way I can start knowing everything is clean and tort friendly as Mike has suggested.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's a very smart move. Volunteering your time to help other torts is a wonderful way way to honor Tank. Who know, you may even fall in love with one there that you may be able to adopt. Your heart will mend in time. I'll be thinking of you. Please keep in touch here at the forum.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
samsmom said:
i'm so so sorry for your loss but i sure am proud of you for the difficult decision you made, it shows how much love you had for that little guy! you did the best you could and no one could ask for more!

I couldn't agree more. By making this hard decision for him you have showed your undying love and dedication. Be proud of yourself for doing everything you could and give your boyfriend a big hug for supporting you though all this. I am so sorry that you lost your little guy but I think volunteering will be a service to any tort you come in contact with because you are now armed with so much knowledge and understanding. Good luck to you!

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I'm so sorry. Please keep us up to date on all the torts you will be helping at the rescue, if that's what you choose to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.