I don't know what to do (tortoise vomited)

Strycalcyla

Location (City and/or State)
Searcy, Arkansas
I have an African spurred tortoise who is 6 years old. I am unsure of the gender, but I will use male pronouns. However I'm freaking out because last Thursday he vomited, and since then he hasn't eaten or drank anything. I've been making sure he gets sunshine and I put food and water down for him. I've even tried to use a syringe to give him a mixture of water and strawberries to get something in his system but nothing is working. He is extremely lethargic and I am so scared because now hes not moving at all and something is coming from his nose. Is he dead? what do I do? I am so scared. I can't go to a vet for him because it is very far away and I don't drive, I also don't know if they would see him. The local vet places can do nothing, I've called and checked Thank you for reading this.

daniellenc

Maryland
Without a vet your little guy can’t be diagnosed. Has he been yawning a lot or breathing with his mouth open? The drainage from the nose has me thinking respiratory infection.

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
Without a vet your little guy can’t be diagnosed. Has he been yawning a lot or breathing with his mouth open? The drainage from the nose has me thinking respiratory infection.
Thank you for replying. I thought it might be a respiratory infection as well but he hasn't been breathing through his mouth or yawning a lot.

Bee62

Germany
Can you take pictures of him and upload them ?
Can you poke him gently on a leg or head. Is he reacting ? Why do you think he is dead ?
Pics could help us trying help you.

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
Can you take pictures of him and upload them ?
Can you poke him gently on a leg or head. Is he reacting ? Why do you think he is dead ?
Pics could help us trying help you.
He wasn't reacting or moving when i would touche his leg. I even touched by his neck and he didn't react and he never lets me do that. I can try to upload pictures but i am unsure if i will be able to. If I am however they will be in a reply below. Thank you

Bee62

Germany
He wasn't reacting or moving when i would touche his leg. I even touched by his neck and he didn't react and he never lets me do that. I can try to upload pictures but i am unsure if i will be able to. If I am however they will be in a reply below. Thank you
When you have taken some actual pics on your PC you can upload them with the botton below "upload a file". It is easy.
Is your tortoise in a warm enclosure ? When he is too cold he is lethargic. Is it warm outside at present where you live ?

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
When you have taken some actual pics on your PC you can upload them with the botton below "upload a file". It is easy.
Is your tortoise in a warm enclosure ? When he is too cold he is lethargic. Is it warm outside at present where you live ?
Thank you. It is pretty warm here, i live in Arkansas. I try to keep him at temperatures above 75 degrees

Bee62

Germany
Thank you. It is pretty warm here, i live in Arkansas. I try to keep him at temperatures above 75 degrees
75 F is way too cold that he can digest his food properly. Sulcata tortoises need temps around 85 F and a basking place with 102 F.
That could be your problem or the problem of your tortoise. A respiration infect could be possible too with these low temps.
How are your night temps ?

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
75 F is way too cold that he can digest his food properly. Sulcata tortoises need temps around 85 F and a basking place with 102 F.
That could be your problem or the problem of your tortoise. A respiration infect could be possible too with these low temps.
How are your night temps ?
Around the 80's, I don't think i worded my last reply right, sorry about that. I don't let him get down to 75 but during the day it is usually 90 to 95 currently and night's are around 75 to 80 but at night i make sure he has a heat lamp and is put in an enclosure. Though since he has gotten worse i brought his enclosure inside and have been making sure he stays warm. usually he eats every day. I just checked up on him again and took some pictures and he is stiff and there was bubbles from his nose but i wiped them away for the pictures.

Bee62

Germany
Around the 80's, I don't think i worded my last reply right, sorry about that. I don't let him get down to 75 but during the day it is usually 90 to 95 currently and night's are around 75 to 80 but at night i make sure he has a heat lamp and is put in an enclosure. Though since he has gotten worse i brought his enclosure inside and have been making sure he stays warm. usually he eats every day. I just checked up on him again and took some pictures and he is stiff and there was bubbles from his nose but i wiped them away for the pictures.
Temps are okay so far.
Oh, but that doesen`t sound good that he is stiff. I am sorry to hear that.
It is possible that he eats something toxic ? I ask because of the vomiting.

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
It could be. We have a privacy fence and we let him roam back there when he was feeling well. We had areas for shade and food and water set up so that he could do as he pleased. But we also have free ranged chickens back there, they're my mothers

Bee62

Germany
Now I saw the pics. He doesen`t look well.
I would try and soak him in shallow warm water. Don`t let his nostrils get under water. When there is no reaction he is probably dead.

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
Now I saw the pics. He doesen`t look well.
I would try and soak him in shallow warm water. Don`t let his nostrils get under water. When there is no reaction he is probably dead.
Ok can do that. Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry that i may have been too late. please keep us in your thoughts

Bee62

Germany
It could be. We have a privacy fence and we let him roam back there when he was feeling well. We had areas for shade and food and water set up so that he could do as he pleased. But we also have free ranged chickens back there, they're my mothers
Maybe a neighbor sprayed chemicals that are toxic ?

Bee62

Germany
Ok can do that. Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry that i may have been too late. please keep us in your thoughts
Please try the soak and give an update on your tortoise. My fingers are crossed for him. I will sure keep you in my thoughts too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for caring so much for him. I am very sorry for your little pet and really hope he can recover, if it's not too late!

Strycalcyla

Searcy, Arkansas
I soaked him and got no reaction. I waited for a bit and it was the same. I am very sorry to say that he has passed away. Thank you all for the help and support. I wish i had found this website sooner.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So sorry he did not make it! He was lucky to have someone who cared.