Irritation

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma
Thank you Jon G for showing us that a tortoise is, indeed, a turtle. Just wanted to say something about the unheeded advice, the endless excuses for why people mistreat their pets. It is heartbreaking, for sure. But I am sure there are readers out there who benefit from your advice who never post here, people who realize that taking a turtle for a pet is a much bigger commitment than, say, caring for a cat or dog. I did not realize what I was really doing when I bought a precious little Sulcata from a pet store. But thanks to this forum I learned what is right and what is wrong and though I HAVE made mistakes, I think my turtle’s home is better than adequate. (If I didn’t live in WA, it might be perfect.) BTW, what do you think about a 5-6 yr old Sully (HA) who is pushing 50 lbs? Overfed? Or might he be the dreaded Sudanese variety?

Also, with global warming, I expect in a few years SW Washington will be a haven for Sulcatas and there will be a highway of tortoises racing up here for the fabulous habitat! (A girl can dream...)
A 50lb 5 yr old is quite normal.. ive seen much bigger also

GMDVM

Ionia New York
My peeve is when they get a tiny enclosure, we tell them its way too small, and they say they don't have space for something bigger or can't afford another enclosure. THEN DON'T HAVE A TORTISE IF YOU CAN'T MEET ITS BASIC ENCLOSURE NEEDS!!!
I have dealt with this every day for almost 40 years but with dogs and cats mostly. It is eternally frustrating Like people who live in an apartment and buy an Australian Cattle Dog or a Labrador then can’t understand why their dog is neurotic and has eaten the couch. Then they get upset at me because they dont have any money to pay for medical expenses incurred by their pet ingesting some of the couch ( or socks or rocks or underwear).
and please dont tell me veterinary care is too expensive. There’s pet insurance ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Jon G for showing us that a tortoise is, indeed, a turtle. Just wanted to say something about the unheeded advice, the endless excuses for why people mistreat their pets. It is heartbreaking, for sure. But I am sure there are readers out there who benefit from your advice who never post here, people who realize that taking a turtle for a pet is a much bigger commitment than, say, caring for a cat or dog. I did not realize what I was really doing when I bought a precious little Sulcata from a pet store. But thanks to this forum I learned what is right and what is wrong and though I HAVE made mistakes, I think my turtle’s home is better than adequate. (If I didn’t live in WA, it might be perfect.) BTW, what do you think about a 5-6 yr old Sully (HA) who is pushing 50 lbs? Overfed? Or might he be the dreaded Sudanese variety?

Also, with global warming, I expect in a few years SW Washington will be a haven for Sulcatas and there will be a highway of tortoises racing up here for the fabulous habitat! (A girl can dream...)
We've all made mistakes. I've made lots of them. That is one way I know what to tell people NOT to do. Because I've done it! I hate the excuses. Animals need what they need. They don't care about your finances of space limitations. If you can't afford to house, feed and care for a horse, don't get a horse. This is so easy to understand, and many people who like horses don't get a horse for this reason. Why is it so much harder to get this point across with pet reptiles?

I know that a lot of people read these posts without commenting. That is one reason why I just cannot let bad info or bad advice stand. I drive @Yvonne crazy sometimes because I won't just let some people give bad advice. I know people reading will take that wrong advice if its not contested.

Your post was a good one. Thanks for sharing your POV on the subject.

5-6 years old and pushing 50 pounds is normal and healthy for a sulcata that has been cared for properly. An average of 10 pounds a year (not counting their first year) is pretty normal for a well started baby that is fed well and kept warm, hydrated and humid.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have dealt with this every day for almost 40 years but with dogs and cats mostly. It is eternally frustrating Like people who live in an apartment and buy an Australian Cattle Dog or a Labrador then can’t understand why their dog is neurotic and has eaten the couch. Then they get upset at me because they dont have any money to pay for medical expenses incurred by their pet ingesting some of the couch ( or socks or rocks or underwear).
and please dont tell me veterinary care is too expensive. There’s pet insurance ?

I was just charged $164.00 for a poop and
Urate sample...
Is this normal???
My pet insurance gave me back $54.00.
WTH????......
should I complain to the insurance ?
Or find another doctor?? ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's why we'll never have a Sulcata. It would be indoors for about half the year in this climate. A 10lbs Redfoot is one thing, a 100+lbs walking tank is quite another.
My Sulcata tortoise Bob was around 100 lbs. I am 75 years old and that tank was more fun than ANY other pet I've had...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maggie,
The following excerpt in quotes was taken from Wikipedia under the subject "turtle/naming and etymology" regarding naming of different types of chelonians. I believe this is accurate and reflects my understanding that it is not technically wrong to call a tortoise a turtle. This Wikipedia entry (Turtles) in it's entirety is very informative and contains a wealth of information for anyone interested in the classification of and natural history of the different types of chelonians (turtles) including tortoises.

"Naming and etymology
The common terms "turtle", "tortoise" and "terrapin", depending on the English dialect used,[5] are common names and do not reflect precise biological or taxonomic distinctions.[6] "Turtle" may name either the order as a whole, or to particular turtles that make up a form taxon that is not monophyletic, or may apply only to aquatic species. "Tortoise" usually means any land-dwelling, non-swimming chelonian.[7] "Terrapin" is used for several species of small, edible, hard-shell turtles, typically those found in brackish waters.

In North America, all chelonians are commonly called "turtles",[8][7] just as in Spanish, they are all called tortuga.[9] "Tortoise" is used only in reference to fully terrestrial turtles or, more narrowly, only those members of Testudinidae, the family of modern land tortoises.[8][7] Terrapin may refer to small semi-aquatic turtles that live in fresh and brackish water, in particular the diamondback terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin).[10][11][12][13] Although the members of the genus Terrapene dwell mostly on land, they are referred to as box turtles rather than tortoises.[6] The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists uses "turtle" to describe all species of the order Testudines, regardless of whether they are land-dwelling or sea-dwelling, and uses "tortoise" as a more specific term for slow-moving terrestrial species.[5]

In the United Kingdom, the word turtle is used for water-dwelling species, including ones known in the US as terrapins, but not for terrestrial species, which are known only as tortoises.

The word chelonian is popular among veterinarians, scientists, and conservationists working with these animals as a catch-all name for any member of the superorder Chelonia, which includes all turtles living and extinct, as well as their immediate ancestors. Chelonia is based on the Greek word for turtles, χελώνη chelone; Greek χέλυς chelys "tortoise" is also used in the formation of scientific names of chelonians.[14] Testudines, on the other hand, is based on the Latin word for tortoise, testudo.[15] Terrapin comes from an Algonquian word for turtle.[8][16]

This article uses "turtle" for the entire order, which is a single clade."

I'm not trying to be a know it all...just trying to provide accurate info for the benefit/education of everyone who follows this forum.
It has been stated many times that turtle can be used for both turtle and tortoise and it's not wrong. In some countries they use turtle all the time instead of tortoise.
However, this is a USA based forum and we use the terms differently, hence tortoise forum with a turtle section. I will always correct people and it will always be a pet peeve of mine too.
Thanks for the info even though most of us still want it said to our correct way lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with you except the vet care part. Vet care is very expensive where I live. Some states/cities much cheaper. I have had pet insurance before and its barely helpful.