tortoise and dog??

Status
Not open for further replies.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Sorry to hear of your situation , after reading I guess you have 2 options . Keep him locked in your room , or move . I would probably choose the latter , if a person couldn't honor such a simple request ! But that's just the way I am . ;)
I tend to agree with this statement. They don't have much respect for you. And your tortoise will pay the price. If at all possible look for a new place to live. If not your tortoise may have to be confined for a while. If I was in your situation I would can find my tortoise where they can't get to him. Then I would be looking for a place to live ASAP.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm due to move within the next four weeks anyway so he'll be in my room unless I'm home where I can supervise x
sounds like a plan

immiexxo

UK
Hey!
If you've read my other posts you'll know I've been worried about my tortoise and my nans dog. I've been keeping them apart, they've been letting the dog near my Percy!
I told them this morning he will be staying in my room during the days I'm working and will be out outside in his enclosure AWAY from the dog only when I'm around to supervise.
I got called stupid, 'my dog wouldn't do that' 'my dogs well behaved' bulllll!

So anyway, Got home from work and no one was in. Put Percy outside for an hour before they got back home with the dog. Percy was then put in his enclosure away from dog.

I went upstairs for about fifteen minutes leaving my nan to watch the tortoise who was in his enclosure so the dog couldn't get him! I literally had just got changed and put my hair up, wasn't rushing as Percy was safe.
Went downstairs cause I heard the dog barking. Dog miraculously got into the enclosure. This is my nan opening it for the dog to see my tortoise when I said not to!!!!

My little tortoise had been scratched at a lot. Thankfully only his shell. Is he hurt? How will I know if he's hurt? What can I do to calm him and keep him from being stressed? I'm so upset and angry.

So glad that Percy is okay and hopefully now they can see why I said I didn't want the dog near him.

Please help, will he be okay? What signs shall I look for to see if he's injured?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Can you post pictures? Do you see any puncture marks on the shell? How's his head and legs look?

immiexxo

UK
Can you post pictures? Do you see any puncture marks on the shell? How's his head and legs look?

I will do but he's in his shell and won't come out so I'm giving him a few minutes to calm down as he's so scared. I couldn't see any marks on the shell just light scratches but I don't know about his legs or head as of yet. Shall I check now or let him relax a while?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I agree also tortoises have nerves connected to their shells so he definitely felt it and maybe shocken up because of that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry you had this scare. I sure hope they realize now what their dog can do. If it's just scratches, your tort is very lucky. Post pics. I would give him a warm soak, and then let him be for the rest of the day, yet making sure he is acting normal.
I would then let your GP know, this is too never happen again, or they will be paying a very expensive vet bill.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Just scratches on the shell but no blood. most likely just surface damage.let the tortoise relax he will get over it soon

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I will do but he's in his shell and won't come out so I'm giving him a few minutes to calm down as he's so scared. I couldn't see any marks on the shell just light scratches but I don't know about his legs or head as of yet. Shall I check now or let him relax a while?

Look over what you can see and if there isn't any obvious injuries or blood, I'd let him be to calm him down. Once he calms down, and starts moving around you can see if there are any other injuries.

Forgive me if you've already said this but what size dog is it?

immiexxo

UK
Hey guys! Don't know if you've seen my other post but. .

Got home from work and no one was in. Put Percy outside for an hour before they got back home with the dog. Percy was then put in his enclosure away from dog.

I went upstairs for about fifteen minutes leaving my nan to watch the tortoise who was in his enclosure so the dog couldn't get him! I literally had just got changed and put my hair up, wasn't rushing as Percy was safe.
Went downstairs cause I heard the dog barking. Dog miraculously got into the enclosure. This is my nan opening it for the dog to see my tortoise when I said not to!!!!

My little tortoise had been scratched at a lot. Thankfully only his shell. Is he hurt? How will I know if he's hurt? What can I do to calm him and keep him from being stressed? I'm so upset andangry.

So glad that Percy is okay and hopefully now they can see why I said I didn't want the dog near him.

Please help, will he be okay? What signs shall I look for to see if he's injured?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
don't worry your tortoise will stay withdrawn until he feel safe again it's how they protect themselves

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Jack Russells have very high prey drive. I can't imagine how anyone would think it would be okay with a tortoise or any small defenseless animal, no matter how well trained. Stay calm. But do ask her if she's willing to pay thousands in vet bills and bury your tortoise. Don't attack her or her dog, but don't trust her.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Jack Russells are very aggressive dogs. My MIL had one and it killed everything it got near, including my SIL's cat and the neighbor's chicken.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you don't see any blood or punctures, I would assume the tortoise is fine (albeit frightened). Hopefully this will further your conviction to not leave your tortoise near your nan for any amount of time. It only takes a few minutes for something terrible to happen and these people have proven to you, time and again, that they do not respect your wishes for tortoise safety.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Any update on sly nans reaction since this happened? Will she now leave the tort alone or continue to think that it's ok?

I've read your past posts and I'm frustrated for you!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Oh my goodness this is ridiculous! Honestly, I would have completely 100% flipped out at this point. Screaming and possible cursing included. Hell, I'd take him to the vet and do a complete work-up (x-rays, blood work, antibiotic ointment if needed) and stick her with the bill. Maybe that's what it will take to get it through her head?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh my goodness this is ridiculous! Honestly, I would have completely 100% flipped out at this point. Screaming and possible cursing included. Hell, I'd take him to the vet and do a complete work-up (x-rays, blood work, antibiotic ointment if needed) and stick her with the bill. Maybe that's what it will take to get it through her head?
I would do all of that and then I would get mad. Time to move.

immiexxo

UK
Any update on sly nans reaction since this happened? Will she now leave the tort alone or continue to think that it's ok?

I've read your past posts and I'm frustrated for you!

She literally just keeps laughing about it and telling me to 'f**k off'!! I've told her she'll be paying vet bills and she finds it funny.
I am going to be out of here very soon, im only here temporarily before I go back to uni so I won't be here forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.