tortoise and dog??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy1

My bull terrier protects my tortoises. They are best of friends. That's my personal experience. But I put the effort in the training. uploadfromtaptalk1440453350818.jpguploadfromtaptalk1440453368760.jpguploadfromtaptalk1440453420893.jpg

Ozzy1

It was literally like this with mine until I separated them! X
Until you separated them, what happened.
Mine is left in the house together every day. The tortoises hit's the side of his tank to get out so he can snug into the dog lol

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Until you separated them, what happened.
Mine is left in the house together every day. The tortoises hit's the side of his tank to get out so he can snug into the dog lol

They'd be in the garden together all day. The dog would barely go near my tort when this happened and instead would scare off anything else that came into the garden like birds and cats and bark whenever the tort was stuck behind something or in difficulty.
I split them up for the first time yesterday and my dog got into the enclosure and started scratching at my tort x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Luckily you learn faster then some. There may be an exception, but usually not. The bad thing, when you think your dog won't hurt your tort, when it happens, the poor tortoise is the one that pays for the dog owner insisting their dog would never hurt their tortoise. I sure hope it doesn't happen, to anyone, but the chances are in favor of the tortoise getting used as a dog chew toy.
Supervising your dog and tort is usually not when it's going to happen. It's when you look away or walk away. That's how smart dogs are. They know when their owners are gone, that's when they can get away with being bad.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think all dog attack stories start with my dog loves my tortoise protects It pays attention to it. it's not worth the risk in my opinion I can only say your tortoiseyour decision

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Well it sounded like you was in a bad position at home.
Honestly, having a family member repeatedly ignore your wishes to keep your pet safe and telling you to f-off had me worried for you too. Your situation is quite unusual and it sounded like you were in an unhealthy living situation. .

This and this.

If I was one of the people who came off as rude, it was not my intent and I do apologize if that was the case.
My concern was for you, your tort and your Nan. I work with people that have illnesses that affect their behaviour and their behaviour towards others, and I am also charged with noting what for many are seemingly innocuous reactions that could point to escalating in these individuals. I suppose this is a case of bringing my work home with me. :/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just to make sure we are on the same page here...Dogs near a tortoise isn't an issue WHEN SUPERVISED.

Right now I'm sitting in my backyard, my tortoise is roaming along the fence and my large dog is laying on the grass. He ignores the tortoise. I'm glad about that. But when I go inside, the dog comes too! I won't leave them alone, at all.

My dog is very well behaved and very obedient. People comment all the time on that. So even though my dog is super awesome and my tortoise free roams the yard, they are never alone together.
We spend lots of time in the garden/backyard together. Multiple times a day...But I'm always there.
When I'm not home the dog has his own fenced off section of the yard to make sure he can't access the tort.

If you and Nan are in the garden with tort and dog that's a different situation than the dog and tort together alone.

Since the dog shows heavy interest in the tortoise (the scratching incident) I'd probably leash the dog while in the garden together...But they don't need to be totally isolated.

Does this make sense?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

immiexxo

UK
Just to make sure we are on the same page here...Dogs near a tortoise isn't an issue WHEN SUPERVISED.

Right now I'm sitting in my backyard, my tortoise is roaming along the fence and my large dog is laying on the grass. He ignores the tortoise. I'm glad about that. But when I go inside, the dog comes too! I won't leave them alone, at all.

My dog is very well behaved and very obedient. People comment all the time on that. So even though my dog is super awesome and my tortoise free roams the yard, they are never alone together.
We spend lots of time in the garden/backyard together. Multiple times a day...But I'm always there.
When I'm not home the dog has his own fenced off section of the yard to make sure he can't access the tort.

If you and Nan are in the garden with tort and dog that's a different situation than the dog and tort together alone.

Since the dog shows heavy interest in the tortoise (the scratching incident) I'd probably leash the dog while in the garden together...But they don't need to be totally isolated.

Does this make sense?

This incident happened while being supervised

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a little Chihuahua that for all of his fifteen plus years lived side by side with tortoises. Most of the tortoises being as large as my dog and there never was an issue, however I never left them together (In the yard) without supervision.....Then one day, I did something different. I had my sick female RF inside the house while I was trying to administer a shot of antibiotic into her armpit and my little dog when absolutely nuts barking and growling and trying to get at the tortoise. Biting me in the process. Thankfully it was a nine pound dog and I'm a large person. Otherwise, things might not have ended so well.
My advice is that it would only take one time...............
Even one time in 15 years is too much of a chance.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What could I possibly have said that would make you worry for me?
I'm not pretending to have anything wrong with me I was merely seeking advice on whether dogs and torts could potentially get on or whether it's a no no?

The worry was for your tortoise and your grandmother. If you reread what you posted, you should see how we formed our impression. You led us to it. You presented your nan as utterly unreasonable.

No one was rude to you. As the thread continued and you reported further resistance from your grandmother and the dog scratching the tortoise (which is construed as an attack in this context, whether deliberate or not), we became less laid back and more insistent.

We do not see politeness in stepping back and letting the unwary run off cliffs or endanger their animals. That's indifference or despair. We're not giving up on you. Don't give up on us.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
The first words out of any dog owners mouth , after it has bitten someone and/or something is "Gee he has never done anything like that before !"
I don't see anything new or constructive left to be said here ?..................
m0984.gif

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I don't even know why it's still going on, everything is sorted now
I'm glad everything has been worked out. On behalf of the forum, I want to apologize if it appeared as though we were attacking your grandmother. That wasn't our intention. I believe emotions from learning about the situation may have taken over a bit and colored the way things were worded. I sincerely hope you will continue to be a member of the forum and learn as much as you can while also teaching us things you may know that we don't. I also hope to see pictures of your cutie shell-butt buddy :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The first words out of any dog owners mouth , after it has bitten someone and/or something is "Gee he has never done anything like that before !"
I don't see anything new or constructive left to be said here ?..................
m0984.gif
Man. How are you loading those emojis. I have too have that one. So funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.