Helping the world

Prairie Mom

Whats wrong with greed? I could survive on much less income with a much more meager life style. I work hard and bust my patootie so I can have more stuff and better stuff. If someone else wants to be lazy and work less, but live more meagerly, I have no issue with that. Why should anyone else care if I want to work harder, achieve more and make more?

And arrogance? What if I am better than someone else? Why if I try harder, practice more, and as a result achieve more? I would try to demonstrate good sportsmanship, but let's face it, some people are better than others. I once rode motocross with Mike LaRocco. He was better than me. A lot better.
Interesting discussion! I want to add thoughts:) ...

I consider "greed" to be more like putting your desires for excess above even the basic well being of others and doing whatever it takes to obtain your desire even if the consequences are hurtful. I don't feel working hard and striving for what you feel is the best standard of living for your family is greedy at all. Now, if you're cheating the poor widow down the street out of cash just to put in a new pool liner, then we'll have a chat:D

I also think you can better yourself and know your strengths and even be aware others' limitations without being arrogant. There is always a petty, prideful, self-importance to arrogant people. They tend to be the kind of people that try to raise themselves up by putting others down or drawing attention to others' weaknesses. The strongest most amazing examples of human kind I have known have always been among the best examples of humility. I don't think that is a coincidence.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
...in other words, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That may be true, and you also think one person is better than another. Is Tom better than Hitler? YES. Would Tom be a worse person just because some lunatic preferred Hitler? NO!

Equality beyond having equal opportunity is crap. It holds everyone back. Greed isn't bad in itself. It drives people. Some people create,build. Others use and consume. Some are in-between. Let the cream float to the top. Let us each be better than the other at our individual things. It makes the world go round. You have the same opportunities I do. Don't try to drag me down because others frittered theirs away.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
And yes, I am better than Tom!

(c'mon, take a breath and have a chuckle, Tom)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it would be bad to be better than someone else, then wouldn't we all have to lower ourselves to the level of the worst person?
Not necessarily. We help bring everyone else to higher standards.lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Whats wrong with greed? I could survive on much less income with a much more meager life style. I work hard and bust my patootie so I can have more stuff and better stuff. If someone else wants to be lazy and work less, but live more meagerly, I have no issue with that. Why should anyone else care if I want to work harder, achieve more and make more?

And arrogance? What if I am better than someone else? Why if I try harder, practice more, and as a result achieve more? I would try to demonstrate good sportsmanship, but let's face it, some people are better than others. I once rode motocross with Mike LaRocco. He was better than me. A lot better.
Greed.... not hard work to earn what you have . Arrogance ..I'm a electrician. I can wire stuff better than you Tom but does that make me a better person than you ? Nope I don't think so . Just because one person maybe better at something than others doesn't give anyone the right belittle others .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Interesting discussion! I want to add thoughts:) ...

I consider "greed" to be more like putting your desires for excess above even the basic well being of others and doing whatever it takes to obtain your desire even if the consequences are hurtful. I don't feel working hard and striving for what you feel is the best standard of living for your family is greedy at all. Now, if you're cheating the poor widow down the street out of cash just to put in a new pool liner, then we'll have a chat:D

I also think you can better yourself and know your strengths and even be aware others' limitations without being arrogant. There is always a petty, prideful, self-importance to arrogant people. They tend to be the kind of people that try to raise themselves up by putting others down or drawing attention to others' weaknesses. The strongest most amazing examples of human kind I have known have always been among the best examples of humility. I don't think that is a coincidence.
You said what I'm thinking. I'm not good with words . You're better than I . Word smith.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Maybe another good thing to get rid of is laziness.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And yes, I am better than Tom!

(c'mon, take a breath and have a chuckle, Tom)

I am. I am chuckling.

We may have to contest this claim... I KNOW I can beat you at lots of stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arrogance ..I'm a electrician. I can wire stuff better than you Tom but does that make me a better person than you ? Nope I don't think so . Just because one person maybe better at something than others doesn't give anyone the right belittle others .

If I wired a house, there is a good chance it would burn down. If you wired the same house, it would likely be done correctly.

In my book that makes you better than me. I'll bet I'm better than you at training dogs though… Neither of us would belittle the other, but we both know who is better at what. Right?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I am. I am chuckling.

We may have to contest this claim... I KNOW I can beat you at lots of stuff.
I am sure you have some finely honed skills. Sure, they aren't good skills.... LOL J/K, messing with ya.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If I wired a house, there is a good chance it would burn down. If you wired the same house, it would likely be done correctly.

In my book that makes you better than me. I'll bet I'm better than you at training dogs though… Neither of us would belittle the other, but we both know who is better at what. Right?
I'm by no means a dog trainer. But my dogs lesson to me . Haha I'm sure if I applied myself to training dogs I'd kick your but at it . . ...... arrogant;)

Reactions: Tom

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tom I don't wire houses . I'm an industrial motor control electrician. I run a crew of guys that build an troubleshoot PLC panels for water plant control. But I have wired houses like the one I live in . I wired my house but nobody else's .

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
What is the character limit for these posts? I don't think they give me enough to list all the things I am great at.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the character limit for these posts? I don't think they give me enough to list all the things I am great at.

You are a man that should start a thread in the "Personal Promotion" section!

Am I right Mike? And Ken?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom I don't wire houses . I'm an industrial motor control electrician. I run a crew of guys that build an troubleshoot PLC panels for water plant control. But I have wired houses like the one I live in . I wired my house but nobody else's .

Is there any doubt in your mind that you could wire a house better than me, or that I could get your dogs to listen to me better than you?