Changing the world?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
On a lighter note, but still capturing the heaviness of the topic.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/chancesoftheworld/

This is a not so short PBS show regarding Richard Ogust and one or two iterations of his turtle collection and how he was looking at changing the world in regards to turtles. I built one of four phases of his giant facilities. He actually spent several hundred thousand $$ on his collection and was an early supporter of the conservation program that I ran for 10 years. He lead with his heart and that did not get him a result he wanted, he was somewhat depressed after several years of battles with different ways of going about conservation and what role he played in it.

@yillt a new thing to do may be very difficult to come up with, even if it feels like you have. A new way or method to implement an idea already out there is every bit as good and may lead to results that can be compared to past methods and their relative success.

Figuring out if you made a difference is an important part of a program/project. There are many ways to do this, and they are project dependent. Usually there is a pre-implementation of the project phase where the people who will get the benefit of your project are surveyed for their awareness of the types of things that you intend to change. Then a post project survey that is essentially the same survey. The success of the project/program can sometimes be measured by the change in responses to the two surveys. The surveys can be very informal with a the help of a local that may be a un-realized central figure in a community, like a postal worker, or vendor where everyone passes through in one day.

If you did a turtle conservation project, the pre test might be a group of images of turtles from the area on the wall. One would be a species not from the area. The postal worker or cafe server would never prompt conversation, just record people comments. Then the group of pictures is removed. You do your awareness project. Then some time later the groups of images are returned and the change in awareness/attitude is recorded. This is a cryptic thing done all the time all over the place.

A formal question directed before and after can be done too.

Then your result will be based on a quantitative change in awareness (education), as well as some actual thing that is done.

The man who invented segways, now co-opted as hover boards. He invented a device to deliver clean water to anywhere in the world, as clean water is the number one health issue in the world. After much work and finding a funder the field tests were not inspiring. People would bring dirty water to the device, run it through and collect the clean water into the container that the dirty water had been collected in, re-soiling the clean water. This is an example of a halfway technology. An educational component was required, and clean water containers. Many simple ways for really good things to fail. An on the ground collaborator is often needed so you can see the nature of the problem in the eyes of someone experiencing the problem. Your new fresh look also has to understand the problem from the eyes of someone in the issue.

There is a good chance you will have success where more experienced people have failed, as you are not mired in past solutions, good ones or bad.

Turtlepete

South Florida
The world needs American Politicians to be held accountable for their crimes.

The world needs to see an end to political correctness, "Newspeak", "Double Talk", and the thought police. You've read "1984" by George Orwell, right? How about "Animal Farm"?

The world needs to see and end to any religion that tells its followers that they must kill any person of any other religion who will not convert.

The people of the world need the means to fight back against tyranny, be it foreign in or domestic.

Lets not forget corporate crimes either. I'd like to see the corporate heads of Chevron put to whatever justice the tribes of the Amazon see fit...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everyone in a 'situation' has a role. There is no getting out of it. Until you accept that everyone has a role, there is no moving forward. Making a man not able to have children does not stop violence. Empowering women is a best response. Castrated men can rape. Maybe you mean penis removal?
Yes, sorry, exactly what I mean, total removal.

W Shaw

The world needs American Politicians to be held accountable for their crimes.

The world needs to see an end to political correctness, "Newspeak", "Double Talk", and the thought police. You've read "1984" by George Orwell, right? How about "Animal Farm"?

The world needs to see and end to any religion that tells its followers that they must kill any person of any other religion who will not convert.

The people of the world need the means to fight back against tyranny, be it foreign in or domestic.

Not just the American politicians. I have friends who were beaten, tortured and killed in an internment camp by British ones. American politicians are certainly guilty of being corrupted by power, but they're not alone.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Yes, sorry, exactly what I mean, total removal.
Well, if you think about it, women can rape other women, so it's not the act with the specific organ, but rather the act as violence or dominance. That can't be cut off. It's educating women to best take control of situations. Rape is an extreme moment, the overall point is there are many 'next day regrets' and those can be greatly reduced through education.

Check it out, what education can do https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Cups_of_Tea as one example.

W Shaw

Part of the problem with real change is that it's not a fast process and there are always setbacks. You have a victory over here and you lose one over there. You just have to keep picking yourself up and walking forward, knowing all the while that it may not be yourself but your children or even your grandchildren who finally see the victory. As one of my favorite musicians says, "You can fall, but you must not lie down." This is where I think a lot of Americans get discouraged, because we're a people accustomed to instant gratification and movies with happy endings. I played a role in a really big change, but in the course of making that change, I saw a lot of Americans come and go. They'd latch on to one case or another, and if that case was lost, so were 2/3 of the Americans, because they went into it thinking they were going to be heroes. Never occurred to them that there was a high probability that that case would be lost, so when it happened they would just give up. The rest of us would take a deep breath, maybe take a day to deal with it, and then pick ourselves up and get back to work.

Here's the musician if you're interested :)

Last edited:

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Part of the problem with real change is that it's not a fast process and there are always setbacks. You have a victory over here and you lose one over there. You just have to keep picking yourself up and walking forward, knowing all the while that it may not be yourself but your children or even your grandchildren who finally see the victory. As one of my favorite musicians says, "You can fall, but you must not lie down." This is where I think a lot of Americans get discouraged, because we're a people accustomed to instant gratification and movies with happy endings. I played a role in a really big change, but in the course of making that change, I saw a lot of Americans come and go. They'd latch on to one case or another, and if that case was lost, so were 2/3 of the Americans, because they went into it thinking they were going to be heroes. Never occurred to them that there was a high probability that that case would be lost, so when it happened they would just give up. The rest of us would take a deep breath, maybe take a day to deal with it, and then pick ourselves up and get back to work.

Here's the musician if you're interested :)

well put!!! it's not all about us, 'be the change in the world you want to see'

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm putting on my moderator hat now. I haven't been following this thread, but just now read the whole thing. Can we please take this in another direction? No more rape please? And try to make your political responses be less riot-inciting. This is a thread that may soon be closed.

Last edited:

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
I'm putting on my moderator hat now. I haven't been following this thread, but just now read the whole thing. Can we please take this in another direction? No more rape please? And try to make your political responses be less riot-inciting. This is a thread that may soon be closed.

well said miss yvonnee! more joy in the world, focus on the good:)

Turtlepete

South Florida
I think you are wrong Will. Rape is of no fault of the women. Making a women not able to have children does not stop rape. It will stop her from populating, which she may have choosen to do anyway if she wasn't raped, but she can still be raped. My method, will stop both. Luckily in this country, most of the time, it is legal to end a pregnancy of rape. In the places I am more referring to, it's not done, unless they mutilate themselves, which is another sick practice in these same places, and not really for the forum.
However, totally agree on the education end of it. Education is always a plus, in many places it would in itself be a big world changer.

You are aware rape happens to men as well, right…? Domestic violence, rape, mutilation of the *ahem* "nether regions"…all of these are crimes that are carried out against men just as much as women. What do you suggest we do to women in these scenarios?

Education is indeed a plus.

If you sincerely want to change the world, educate and properly raise your children, and your children's children. Foster a generation that once again believes the way to achievement is getting off the couch and doing what needs done, not whining and complaining about how their lack of "privilege" or anatomical features are their main setback in life. I am terrified of a world controlled by people who were raised to think that whatever they don't have in life is the fault of someone else.
Talking about stuff is great, if your goal is to set out a plan and act upon it. If you plan to merely talk about it and wait for someone else to do it, then save your breath. We American's have this incredible way of telling other countries how to do things, countries that we have almost unanimously never set foot in and are massively ignorant of the actual events taking place in the region.

Last edited:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!

I shouldn't have taken this thread as a place to educate Wellington, sorry about that. But then again she did sorta lead us that way, as a Moderator no-less. Good thing we have many Mods. Mods moderating Mods. Your the internal mod's mod today. Good job. Yeah, opps. I love you Yvonne.

Wholly self monitoring Batman, what was that?

Just to many people, no fair way to eliminate all already here, so we ought to stop having so many.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I shouldn't have taken this thread as a place to educate Wellington, sorry about that. But then again she did sorta lead us that way, as a Moderator no-less. Good thing we have many Mods. Mods moderating Mods. Your the internal mod's mod today. Good job. Yeah, opps. I love you Yvonne.

Wholly self monitoring Batman, what was that?

Just to many people, no fair way to eliminate all already here, so we ought to stop having so many.
Just so you know, I stated my post and because you didn't pick up what I was putting down, you lead it into a rape thing. So let's get it straight, who ran thIs off. Not the mod no less. My point that I was making and answering had to do with over populating!

Turtlepete

South Florida
In some countries, the population is over ran with mouths they can't afford to feed because of the high numbers of rape.The way to help those countries is castration. In the USA, don't support the poor if they keep having kids.
As for changing the world, I believe in changing the country you live in first. When there is no more homeless and starving kids, then go beyond the borders.
No thanks. They should be taking care of it themselves. It would be nice if they did something. I am talking about the rapist, not just any/all men. They don't do anything to the rapist, it's so common, no one turns them in either. Castration would make the next rapist reconsider.
Just so you know, I stated my post and because you didn't pick up what I was putting down, you lead it into a rape thing. So let's get it straight, who ran thIs off. Not the mod no less. My point that I was making and answering had to do with over populating!

While Will did absolutely explore the topic in detail, which might not necessarily have its place on this forum, he only expanded on a topic that you brought up with your ideas of castration in foreign countries. I don't believe he was attacking you, simply trying to educate and further explore a topic, an appropriate response to an idea as radical as castration.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this is why we can't have nice things. :-(

Turtlepete

South Florida
this is why we can't have nice things. :-(

We're mostly adults here, we should be able to discuss varying ideas without feeling insulted by another's beliefs or reacting overly emotionally to someone else's response.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
whether or not we're adult is not the point this is a family forum discussions about rape I don't think belong on a Family Forum.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
We're mostly adults here, we should be able to discuss varying ideas without feeling insulted by another's beliefs or reacting overly emotionally to someone else's response.

Most of us are adults but the original poster is only 13.

I wish there was a symbol on each minors avatar pic so we would know who the young ones are.