Helping the world

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is there any doubt in your mind that you could wire a house better than me, or that I could get your dogs to listen to me better than you?
I would hope my dogs would take my side on this .hahaha

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
You are a man that should start a thread in the "Personal Promotion" section!

Am I right Mike? And Ken?
I would, but the time involved would be staggering!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just remember Ken is a great guy and I'm an awesome guy . David is captain awesome. So to promote yourself you'll have to come up with your own catchphrases.hahaha

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Whats wrong with greed? I could survive on much less income with a much more meager life style. I work hard and bust my patootie so I can have more stuff and better stuff. If someone else wants to be lazy and work less, but live more meagerly, I have no issue with that. Why should anyone else care if I want to work harder, achieve more and make more?

And arrogance? What if I am better than someone else? Why if I try harder, practice more, and as a result achieve more? I would try to demonstrate good sportsmanship, but let's face it, some people are better than others. I once rode motocross with Mike LaRocco. He was better than me. A lot better.
I've always understood word "greed" as a very negative one. I think that example you give above to me sounds more like ... "Ambition" or "drive". Anyway "greed" for me has always gad very negative connotation. I have never seen anything good about it. Here I looked up the Definition of "greed" just for the sake of argument: "GREED-
noun

intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.
Word Origin
late 16th century: back-formation from greedy." And here is how I have always understood ARROGANCE
"Simple Definition of arrogance
: an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people". I just googled the above definitions, there arrogance comes from Meriam-Webster, "greed" i think is just a "wiki"

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've always understood word "greed" as a very negative one. I think that example you give above to me sounds more like ... "Ambition" or "drive". Anyway "greed" for me has always gad very negative connotation. I have never seen anything good about it. Here I looked up the Definition of "greed" just for the sake of argument: "GREED-
noun

intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.
Word Origin
late 16th century: back-formation from greedy." And here is how I have always understood ARROGANCE
"Simple Definition of arrogance
: an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people". I just googled the above definitions, there arrogance comes from Meriam-Webster, "greed" i think is just a "wiki"

Is arrogance worse than false modesty?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I hate cancer. Really hate it. But I always wonder, if people didn't die from cancer or heart disease, what would we do with all those people. We would live forever. Something needs to be continually killing off humans or there would be too many of us. Am I wrong? Just speaking philosophically...
I have watched 4 very close family die from this horiible disease. My niece was just 18 when she lost her fight. If faced with over population, personaly I would rather see a society were we controlled who could have or to continue having children...... and I'm on both sides of that fence too having adopted from foster care. also speaking philosophically of course.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have watched 4 very close family die from this horiible disease. My niece was just 18 when she lost her fight. If faced with over population, personaly I would rather see a society were we controlled who could have or to continue having children...... and I'm on both sides of that fence too having adopted from foster care. also speaking philosophically of course.

Very deep stuff. Controversial subject for sure, but I tend to agree with you.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Is arrogance worse than false modesty?
No worse, just different. Arrogant people are often honest about their belief in their own superiority. A person who is falsly modest is a liar. I find it that dealing with abnoxious prick is less stressful than dancing around stupid games of some passive-aggressive hypocrite. Those usually have hidden agendas, that takes way too much energy.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
No worse, just different. Arrogant people are often honest about their belief in their own superiority. A person who is falsly modest is a liar. I find it that dealing with abnoxious prick is less stressful than dancing around stupid games of some passive-aggressive hypocrite. Those usually have hidden agendas, that takes way too much energy.
I can tell you from personal experience, it is hard to be modest when you are AWESOME!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Interesting discussion! I want to add thoughts:) ...

I consider "greed" to be more like putting your desires for excess above even the basic well being of others and doing whatever it takes to obtain your desire even if the consequences are hurtful. I don't feel working hard and striving for what you feel is the best standard of living for your family is greedy at all. Now, if you're cheating the poor widow down the street out of cash just to put in a new pool liner, then we'll have a chat:D

I also think you can better yourself and know your strengths and even be aware others' limitations without being arrogant. There is always a petty, prideful, self-importance to arrogant people. They tend to be the kind of people that try to raise themselves up by putting others down or drawing attention to others' weaknesses. The strongest most amazing examples of human kind I have known have always been among the best examples of humility. I don't think that is a coincidence.
You sound like you could totally be my spokesperson:) you speak my mind. I love that!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I can tell you from personal experience, it is hard to be modest when you are AWESOME!!!
Oh I know right?!?! So then don't be MODEST, if you think you are awesome then protraying yourself anything less would be a lie. There is a way to be "awesome" without hypocricy (false modesty, just for the appearances) and/or arrogance (being a jerk). I call that "honest assertiveness". There's absolutely nothing wrong with realizing your own selfworth and respecting own self, but all that can be done with tact and good taste.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Adam pls explain this expression (assuming it is one). Haven't heard it bfr, foreign language learning is never done! You learn until the day you draw your last breath:)
Apart from the running Meerkat thing in CDR there is an insurance company in the UK called CompareTheMarket.com which advertises with meerkats that get annoyed about the confusion with their CompareTheMeerkat.com website. (You have to see the ads... the Brits get it :D)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Apart from the running Meerkat thing in CDR there is an insurance company in the UK called CompareTheMarket.com which advertises with meerkats that get annoyed about the confusion with their CompareTheMeerkat.com website. (You have to see the ads... the Brits get it :D)
Thank you to @JoesMum for a better answer than i could give.
Meerkats = insurance salesmen.
Nuff said.
Aha! Thank you both

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh, the weird British humor that isn't funny. Got it. :D