Changing the world?

yillt

Hello everyone. The title is a but dramatic but hopefully it's caught your attention as I'm looking for input. I am involved in a project which is supposed to be confidential so I can't give you the details unfortunately as much as I'd love to. But I'll explain it a bit. It's for teens. We form groups and come up with things the world needs. For example 'more fresh water pumps in Africa.' Then I'm our groups we research that topic and plan it. The project funds our trip and we will go to Africa and help build water tanks. I'm not looking for ideas to copy bit It would be interesting to know what you think the world needs.:)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
Hello everyone. The title is a but dramatic but hopefully it's caught your attention as I'm looking for input. I am involved in a project which is supposed to be confidential so I can't give you the details unfortunately as much as I'd love to. But I'll explain it a bit. It's for teens. We form groups and come up with things the world needs. For example 'more fresh water pumps in Africa.' Then I'm our groups we research that topic and plan it. The project funds our trip and we will go to Africa and help build water tanks. I'm not looking for ideas to copy bit It would be interesting to know what you think the world needs.:)

go you :) I think the world needs more people like you! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The world needs American Politicians to be held accountable for their crimes.

The world needs to see an end to political correctness, "Newspeak", "Double Talk", and the thought police. You've read "1984" by George Orwell, right? How about "Animal Farm"?

The world needs to see and end to any religion that tells its followers that they must kill any person of any other religion who will not convert.

The people of the world need the means to fight back against tyranny, be it foreign in or domestic.

ArcT

My 2 cents: Start simple. Find someplace with a problem such as Malaria spreading or dirty drinking water. Figure out how to provide better mosquito nets or drink filtering devices.

Any change that provides long term improvement for a part of society that is lacking will make the world a better place.

"Great acts are made up of small deeds."

-Lao Tzu

W Shaw

The Swami Beyondananda says people waste too much energy in changing the world. He suggests that we just toilet train the world so that we never have to change it again. I love the Swami!

More seriously, are you aware of the Roots and Shoots program? It was started by Jane Goodall. Might be worth having a gander at, for your kids. The way they work is, the kids commit to 3 projects, which must all be local to your area. One must benefit animals (nonhuman ones), one must benefit humans, and the 3rd must benefit the environment. They're definitely of the "Think globally, act locally" mindset.

I think the world needs more respect for nonhuman critters. Not just the ones who benefit humans directly, but all critters. Even people who claim to be "animal lovers" often don't think twice about crushing a spider to death or using cuttlebones in tortoise enclosures, because those animals aren't on their list of animals whose lives matter.

ArcT

One more suggestion: Permaculture.

Lots of little projects that can make a big impact.
It doesnt change the world all at once but if you have families everywhere that can provide for themselves basic necessities, you will end up with a group of people that focuses their thoughts outward instead of only on where the next drink or meal is coming from.

Last edited:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Population control by empowering women to take/have more control of their life in regards to many things but mostly family planning. This can be education or access to learning tools. It's very 'place' dependent. I don't think you will find a 'new' thing that changing the world could use, but a new "way" to act or implement is what a younger POV is all about.

All crisis in the world precipitate from populations of humans overwhelming _______ (fill in the blank).

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
The world needs us to treat everyone the way we would like them to treat us.

How can we do this ? One person at a time. Try it. It is contagious.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I never tried to dampen enthusiasm towards trying to change the world. But I've never believed in just giving
people stuff. One of my favorite program to come out in a very long time deals with doing micro loans to people to help set themselves up in businesses around the world. Great ideas truly start out small but don't try to change the world try to help one person at a time better themselves through hard work and you will probably see a big change later on. don't get discouraged a lot of people and I mean a lot of people will tell you you are foolish or wrong or naive or any other word you can think of. I also agree with @Will about population control it sounds a little facist but I truly believe there are too many people how do you go about that I really don't know. Just change one person's life @a time I think you will see a bigger and better result that way honestly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never tried to dampen enthusiasm towards trying to change the world. But I've never believed in just giving
people stuff. One of my favorite program to come out in a very long time deals with doing micro loans to people to help set themselves up in businesses around the world. Great ideas truly start out small but don't try to change the world try to help one person at a time better themselves through hard work and you will probably see a big change later on. don't get discouraged a lot of people and I mean a lot of people will tell you you are foolish or wrong or naive or any other word you can think of. I also agree with @Will about population control it sounds a little facist but I truly believe there are too many people how do you go about that I really don't know. Just change one person's life @a time I think you will see a bigger and better result that way honestly.
In some countries, the population is over ran with mouths they can't afford to feed because of the high numbers of rape.The way to help those countries is castration. In the USA, don't support the poor if they keep having kids.
As for changing the world, I believe in changing the country you live in first. When there is no more homeless and starving kids, then go beyond the borders.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
In some countries, the population is over ran with mouths they can't afford to feed because of the high numbers of rape.The way to help those countries is castration. In the USA, don't support the poor if they keep having kids.
As for changing the world, I believe in changing the country you live in first. When there is no more homeless and starving kids, then go beyond the borders.
you feel free to go to other countries and start castrating the men & see how far you get ok?

W Shaw

Population control generally happens naturally when poverty and infant mortality are addressed. In affluent countries, where parents aren't so dependent on children to care for them in their later years, and education and birth control are readily available, people tend to have fewer children. Even in affluent countries like the US, the wealthy and well educated generally have fewer children than the impoverished and uneducated. So, if we can address those issues there would be no need to enforce limits.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Population control generally happens naturally when poverty and infant mortality are addressed. In affluent countries, where parents aren't so dependent on children to care for them in their later years, and education and birth control are readily available, people tend to have fewer children. Even in affluent countries like the US, the wealthy and well educated generally have fewer children than the impoverished and uneducated. So, if we can address those issues there would be no need to enforce limits.
how you go about doing that in other countries?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
you feel free to go to other countries and start castrating the men & see how far you get ok?
No thanks. They should be taking care of it themselves. It would be nice if they did something. I am talking about the rapist, not just any/all men. They don't do anything to the rapist, it's so common, no one turns them in either. Castration would make the next rapist reconsider.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tie tubes, same result for population control, but violence can still occur, yes, I think we can agree on that. But the same with castration, violence can still occur.

Educating people is a good move, but in most places where some kinds of this violence occurs, is as much the woman as the man for lack of education. The bigger deficit in education is with woman. Not intelligence, education.

Rare, an NGO, did a series of soap opera like radio shows that sought to make men better understand treating women in a way that was not just a baby factory. It had modest success. When they focused on women the saturation of message went much higher. Birth rate actually dropped. No Orwellian effort, just education aimed towards women that they were not in fact 'baby factories'.

In short women who say yes to husbands and boyfriend are not treated as meat, and fewer babies result. Not a TFO topic for the most part, but women have much more control than they seem to acknowledge, and that is an education based issue.

I am parroting what the woman who set this into implementation said at a speaker engagement. This is what a woman sorted out for island nations in the Caribbean. This overall plan and implementation has been published.

My suggestion for this OP is that this is a worthy goal to change the world is not Orwellian, and takes new methods or strategies to implement.

The guy who wrote "Three Cups of Tea" did a similar thing in a very different part of the world.

China recently stopped there one couple one child policy, as they have redirected the culture and it seems to now be self regulating. China;s method was a bit closer to Orwellian.

If you can think of one issue that is more basic than human population, please do share. No need for mutilation Barb, unless you seek to tie your own tubes first. Telling comment though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you are wrong Will. Rape is of no fault of the women. Making a women not able to have children does not stop rape. It will stop her from populating, which she may have choosen to do anyway if she wasn't raped, but she can still be raped. My method, will stop both. Luckily in this country, most of the time, it is legal to end a pregnancy of rape. In the places I am more referring to, it's not done, unless they mutilate themselves, which is another sick practice in these same places, and not really for the forum.
However, totally agree on the education end of it. Education is always a plus, in many places it would in itself be a big world changer.

W Shaw

how you go about doing that in other countries?

By bringing in organizations that can educate children (A friend of mine has built several schools), organizations like Doctors Without Borders to facilitate medical care, and educate mothers. By the microloans spoken of in an earlier post, that help people in developing countries to start small businesses. One company has created a microscope that only costs 12 cents to make, because Malaria is easily diagnosed with a microscope, but microscopes are often not available to clinics in developing countries. There is no one magic bullet. But there are things that can be done over time to give developing nations a hand up (which is not the same as a handout). Of course, the irony is not entirely lost on me when I watch Doctors Without Borders providing free medical care in so many countries, while I, in the most affluent nation in the world , have no access to medical care, other than my small stash of outdated antibiotics in case of a major emergency.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Population control by empowering women to take/have more control of their life in regards to many things but mostly family planning. This can be education or access to learning tools. It's very 'place' dependent. I don't think you will find a 'new' thing that changing the world could use, but a new "way" to act or implement is what a younger POV is all about.

All crisis in the world precipitate from populations of humans overwhelming _______ (fill in the blank).
YESSSS!!!! :):):)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
I think you are wrong Will. Rape is of no fault of the women. Making a women not able to have children does not stop rape. It will stop her from populating, which she may have choosen to do anyway if she wasn't raped, but she can still be raped. My method, will stop both. Luckily in this country, most of the time, it is legal to end a pregnancy of rape. In the places I am more referring to, it's not done, unless they mutilate themselves, which is another sick practice in these same places, and not really for the forum.
However, totally agree on the education end of it. Education is always a plus, in many places it would in itself be a big world changer.
Everyone in a 'situation' has a role. There is no getting out of it. Until you accept that everyone has a role, there is no moving forward. Making a man not able to have children does not stop violence. Empowering women is a best response. Castrated men can rape. Maybe you mean penis removal?

yillt

Hello everyone
Thanks for the wonderful ideas and keep them coming. I may just add that as much as I love the 'originality' I don't think I will be able to go round 'castrating' people. I'm on saying that the ideas aren't welcome because they most certainly are but I'm just stating that as a 13 year old, I don't think I could put that idea forward. But all the ideas are wonderful. Thank you.