Heating a large enclosure?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I do realize that that is the way it's going to have to be until I get it right. ATTACH=full]95755[/ATTACH]
This doesn't need to be trial and error on your part. Many of us have already done the research needed to provide a tortoise the best environment possible so that you don't have to guess. Many of these same people have offered up solid recommendations for you in this regard. I, for one, would be happy to lay out exactly what I have as a set up for my now 2 year old sulcata. Here's a photo of him from a few months back. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410667399.323594.jpgthis was achieved here in the Oregon liquid sunshine.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
This doesn't need to be trial and error on your part. Many of us have already done the research needed to provide a tortoise the best environment possible so that you don't have to guess. Many of these same people have offered up solid recommendations for you in this regard. I, for one, would be happy to lay out exactly what I have as a set up for my now 2 year old sulcata. Here's a photo of him from a few months back. View attachment 95779this was achieved here in the Oregon liquid sunshine.
I didn't mean that in a derogatory way towards anybody. We were able to I have done what people suggested and some of it has just not worked in my situation. It's very hard to give advice on enclosures when you can't really see them and be there. So I do appreciate everybody's information and I will keep trying things until something works. We had I have done some of the shopping locally so I can return things, which is what I did today. I'm going to continue to get suggestions and do research before I make any more purchases. I still have about a month or so before they are inside full-time. Either I'm going to have to get a very strong bold or figure out a way to make a close chamber or a combination of both. Or lower the bulb and just hope that not too much of the UV is blocked by the big domes. I do know it's going to take to heat hours per enclosure I think you have a little bit more liquid in your sunshine then I do on my end of Washington. I will make this work. And I will continue to listen to everybody's advice and figure out what works for my situation. I am very very glad that I have a UV index meter and attempt gun. Without those two items I would definitely not have things right, although I would think that they were right. They definitely need to be on everybody's list if they're going to have to keep their tortoises inside for a certain amount of time. Think I will take a look at some closed chamber type options, maybe make a highbred of a tort table and close chamber. I appreciate everybody's help, thank you.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
leigti, if you were a tad bit closer, I'd offer to come up for the day a build/help build an enclosure for you.
Can you maybe get an old dresser at a garage sale, gut it, flip it on its side so the opening faces the front. Then you could install a sliding window in a frame to fill the area, paint and seal it, mount the CHE and Powersun in ceramic fixtures, fill with substrate and and tortoise? This might be a good option.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I was going crazy with the height of bulbs, it being too hot directly under, fear of fire, etc. I broke down and bought a Kanes heating pad with a thermostat. Problem solved. Now the source of heat is directly under the tort. Controlled to a steady 92. There is a hide that he carries around (shoves) that I keep humid. No shell rot because the pad is dry. The hide is humid. But that thing cost ALOT!. But it was worth it for the peace of mind I have now. There is more area in the enclosure for him to get to that isn't heated. He has a choice.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
leigti, if you were a tad bit closer, I'd offer to come up for the day a build/help build an enclosure for you.
Can you maybe get an old dresser at a garage sale, gut it, flip it on its side so the opening faces the front. Then you could install a sliding window in a frame to fill the area, paint and seal it, mount the CHE and Powersun in ceramic fixtures, fill with substrate and and tortoise? This might be a good option.
Yeah, I think I am probably a solid five or six hours away from you at least. It takes four hours to get to Portland from here, I don't know where you are from Portland. I have already invested quite a lot of money in the stock tanks so I would like to make that work. I think I have the lighting figured out, at least I will by the end of this next week. Now it's just the heat I'm trying to figure out. Maybe I'll add more substrate, right now there's about five or 6 inches in it but the sides are 20 inches tall. In the picture above do you see why I would be concerned that if I lower the lights they would block the UVB? Am I just worrying too much about that, if so lowering the lights would be the easier solution. I still may have to make a partial closed chamber during the coldest part of winter though. Someday I would love to come out to your place and see all your tortoises and how they are set up.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hopefully a weekend bash not during a “Red Flag Fire" weekend! We've had them before here in early August. Not for tortoises but bull riding, campers, tents and humans all over the place. And most importantly, a good time had by all.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've used those heat-type flood lights to provide added daytime heat in the past.
Years ago, I had set up a couple of livestock water tanks for sulcata that would come to me in the winter. They do provide a good footprint of heat, but if you where to drop a feather over the area, it would float up on the air current of hot air escaping the into the room. These produced so much wasted heat that the power company did a stop over at the house as a preliminary investigation thinking we had an illegal pot growing operation.
Since then, with money being tighter and the lights doing nothing to keep the heat up at night, I've stopped using them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I've used those heat-type flood lights to provide added daytime heat in the past.
Years ago, I had set up a couple of livestock water tanks for sulcata that would come to me in the winter. They do provide a good footprint of heat, but if you where to drop a feather over the area, it would float up on the air current of hot air escaping the into the room. These produced so much wasted heat that the power company did a stop over at the house as a preliminary investigation thinking we had an illegal pot growing operation.
Since then, with money being tighter and the lights doing nothing to keep the heat up at night, I've stopped using them.
Well, pot is legal in Washington now :) but I don't think I want the cops at my house anyway. I just wondered about those bulbs because when I was buying the fixture that was suggested to me.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well heck. Get an apartment fridge, set it for 54°f and brumate them.
Burmation makes me nervous, I've never done it before and I haven't researched it enough. And I've only had the box turtle for a few months. I live in a tiny little house so I can always increase the heat in the entire house or put a space heater in that room. I'm only worried about keeping part of the enclosure around 90°. It's big enough that it can have quite a temperature variance from end to end. I want to make sure that the box turtle enclosure is warm enough because it will be more humid and damp compared to the Russians. As you know I will definitely get this figured out if is just bringing up more issues than my 1 foot tall enclosures did. When they are finally done they will end up being much better enclosures, just a little bit more work on my end at the beginning.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
My closed chamber is 8ft by 4ft and 30inch high, I use two che's one is 250w and one is 150w also have two 36" uv tubes in there.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My closed chamber is 8ft by 4ft and 30inch high, I use two che's one is 250w and one is 150w also have two 36" uv tubes in there.
I am using a 48 inch UV tube. I thought about the 250 W CHE but I was a little hesitant to go that high. The 100 W did nothing, couldn't get past 83°. Do you happen to have a picture of your enclosure? I will probably have to close off at least part of mine to keep the one and warmer. The rest of the enclosure can be room temperature. Thanks for the information.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The important thing to keep in mind with the higher watt CHE's or bulbs for that matter is that your fixtures are ceramic and rated that high of wattage. I tend to go way higher than I'd ever possibly need, just for the sake of safety.