Heating a large enclosure?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
FYI, you can use brooder bulbs for tortoises. As with any bulb, you want a flood, rather than spot light,and you don't want it too close.
Enclosure is looking good!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
FYI, you can use brooder bulbs for tortoises. As with any bulb, you want a flood, rather than spot light,and you don't want it too close.
Enclosure is looking good!
Thanks. I do have the hundred 25 W router flood bulbs. They make it too hot right now but I will probably put them in later this winter when the house gets colder.The glass on them is clear, is that a problem, I noticed the glass on other floodlights is white.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks. I do have the hundred 25 W router flood bulbs. They make it too hot right now but I will probably put them in later this winter when the house gets colder.The glass on them is clear, is that a problem, I noticed the glass on other floodlights is white.

@leigti - the color of the bulb doesn't matter, clear, opaque, white, etc. these lights all put out the same amount of heat at 125watts. Just monitor the distance from the bulb to the substrate area. Good luck.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@leigti - the color of the bulb doesn't matter, clear, opaque, white, etc. these lights all put out the same amount of heat at 125watts. Just monitor the distance from the bulb to the substrate area. Good luck.
Thanks, I just didn't know if the clearness would cause Eye issues etc. they actually worked well to heat the enclosure and so I will be using them later this winter.

horse

Florida
What species are you housing in this?

Quite simply, if you're temps are too cool you'll need to raise the wattage, lower the fixture, or raise the room temp.

A closed chamber easily solves all of these issues, but making a stock tank into a closed chamber isn't easy or attractive in most cases.
Listen to Tom.Since enclosing my table the heat and humidity easy to maintain.

Reactions: Tom