Heating a large enclosure?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
The important thing to keep in mind with the higher watt CHE's or bulbs for that matter is that your fixtures are ceramic and rated that high of wattage. I tend to go way higher than I'd ever possibly need, just for the sake of safety.
I am using the 10.5 inch brooder lamp, ceramic socket and rated to 300 W. Those should be sufficient I think. I'm a little hesitant to go up to the superhigh wattages. If my critters will get enough UVB then I won't worry so much about the lamps blocking out some of it if they are positioned lower than The UV tube. But I think I will have to put the two heat lamps on that and to make the entire and warm enough. I don't know if I'm going to get this all done by the time I go out of town this week if not I'll finish it up next week. They will make do for now, today they're outside in the gorgeous sunshine.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am also testing some ideas with moving some slate tiles and rocks around to help spread out some of the heat from the bulb.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is definitely easier to try to get the enclosure right without the tortoises actually in it :) i'm glad they are outside today so I can shuffle things around and not worry about them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I decided to not do anything Else till I get back into town. I'm going to keep reading everybody's suggestions, keep doing more research. This time next week I'll be ready to do what I need to get it done. Thank you everybody for your input.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What about making an arch of chicken wire or garden fencing over the part of the stock tank with the basking light. Cover this with aluminum foil. you can drill a couple of holes in the edge of the stock tank on the back side and loosely attach the wire with zip ties (to act as a 'hinge'). Then use a clamp to hold the front side on, so you can lift it to maintain the enclosure. Just hold in the heat- not pretty, but it works.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What about making an arch of chicken wire or garden fencing over the part of the stock tank with the basking light. Cover this with aluminum foil. you can drill a couple of holes in the edge of the stock tank on the back side and loosely attach the wire with zip ties (to act as a 'hinge'). Then use a clamp to hold the front side on, so you can lift it to maintain the enclosure. Just hold in the heat- not pretty, but it works.
That definitely fits in with my idea of covering half of the enclosure. Between the stock tanks and the brooder lamps this thing is not exactly pretty anyway :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What a great idea! I may modify this for my own, now covered in dust, stock feeders. Here I thought I was a master of redneckery, and it turns out I was over thinking it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Generally the wire is stiff enough that it can be propped up on the front end with a stick.
I used garden fencing, (snipped off the pointy parts), but most kinds of wire has been rolled up, so 'wants' to stay in an arch.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do halogen bulbs give off heat? Such as in 100 W halogen floodlight. I have been told yes and I have been told no. So could somebody please break the tie :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do halogen bulbs give off heat? Such as in 100 W halogen floodlight. I have been told yes and I have been told no. So could somebody please break the tie :)
Never mind, I don't think I'm in a get a halogen because it will be too bright.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What heat source spreads out the heat the Best over a wider area? I'm hovering between to each of CHE, flood light, or 150 W Sunglow daylight blue bulb. My neighbor gave me the lights from his chicken coop but they are clear, not frosted at all, so I'm not sure that is safe.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Finally finished the glass on the lid as it became dislodged. It is lined inside with window door sealant (the plastic type not chemical) to further keep humidity in. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Generally the wire is stiff enough that it can be propped up on the front end with a stick.
I used garden fencing, (snipped off the pointy parts), but most kinds of wire has been rolled up, so 'wants' to stay in an arch.
I finished the indoor enclosure, see my new thread :) but I think I may have to try the chicken wire approach later in the winter when the house gets colder.when I tried hotter bulbs it made too hot of a hotspot and I would have to lower these lights too low and they would block the UV. So it's a partially close chamber for later this year.