How to safely hang lights inside enclosure?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I have new enclosed boxes for the torts. 4' x 2' x 2' high. The lights/CHE will hang from the ceiling.
(Pictured outside, and inside ceiling.)
I have some Zoomed fixtures that have the wire hangers. But my Flukers only have the clamps, which I have not used. I have just had them sitting on the wire mesh. The clamps wont work for this either.
How does everyone else suspend their lights? Some of the pictures I am looking at here, seem to show fixtures just hanging by the cords???
I dont feel safe doing that. Has anyone rigged up a hanger for a Fluker fixture? The one I have does have little holes at the top of the dome. I hooked on a Zoomed hanger and it worked okay. But I dont have extras. Are these little hangers available to buy maybe?
Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 1383540303492.jpg
    1383540303492.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 1383540324437.jpg
    1383540324437.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 114

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would think you could just hang them with some small chain and eye bolts or cup hooks (if you use cup hooks, be sure to crimp them closed so that the light cannot fall off the hook) into the center support board in the ceiling of the enclosure.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I use cup hooks and wrap the cord once around the hook. It holds up fine and is easy to adjust. No possible way for it to fall or come loose unless the cup hook pulls loose from the wood. To stop that, I only secure it in real wood and not in particle board. I NEVER hang the light from the clip or the hanger they come with either. I always hang by the cord. Much safer that way!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Although hard to find now, you could make your own hangers for the dome fixture by cutting and bend sections of wire coat hangers. Placing the ends in the holes at the top and forming a loop.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: How to safely hang lights inside enclosure?

Cowboy_Ken said:
Although hard to find now, you could make your own hangers for the dome fixture by cutting and bend sections of wire coat hangers. Placing the ends in the holes at the top and forming a loop.

I did think about that Ken. I am old.... I have a closet full of wire hangers. ;)

Saleama said:
I use cup hooks and wrap the cord once around the hook. It holds up fine and is easy to adjust. No possible way for it to fall or come loose unless the cup hook pulls loose from the wood. To stop that, I only secure it in real wood and not in particle board. I NEVER hang the light from the clip or the hanger they come with either. I always hang by the cord. Much safer that way!

Really?! Wht not hang from the hangers?
I would be afraid to hang from the cord. Those ceramic fixtures are heavy. But I have noticed that it looks as if a lot of ppl do so.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I made an l bracket from a cheap aluminum broom handle that had broken. I bent it where i wanted, left the screw in end as a place to more easily let the clamp grip, and secured it to the outside of my table. Measure twice cut once and it is long enough, sturdy (the metal supports itself at a 90 degree angle) great for hanging the che and a clamp light fixture. If the frequent gorgeous "let Mommy take you to the park for the afternoon" days stop coming I want to get a fluorescent uvb tube to suspend on the other side where he rats. He is a little pig and spends copious amounts of time on that side.