Large Indoor Enclosure Advice

evilsharky

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn
Hey all!

I just put in an order for a T70 PVC cage (8'x3'x2') from animal plastics(AP) and would like to inquire some advice from people who have a same/similar sized enclosure. I have already asked Tom about his customization on his cages from AP but would like to hear from others as well. Please let me know if you guys have any other suggestions/changes. My customization is listed below.

Customization:
-Lock
-6" litter dam
-LED mounted in the front
-2x incandescent sockets (for basking, 1 on each side)
-22" acardia 12% HO tube (will hang it from the top with hooks myself) <-- Let me know your way of hanging your UVB!
-2x RHP from pro-products. 500 BTU/h, 150 watt, 18" x 24" x 1" radiant panel for the warm side and 425 BTU/h, 125 watt, 15" x 24" x 1" for the cool side <-- This is what they recommended and I was thinking it was excessive. Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Brian

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
I have 1-120W RHP from vivarium electronics in each of my 2 large enclosures. they are controlled by the VE 300-2 contoller, works perfectly day in day out , it easily keeps my 4x8x3 enclosures at whatever temp I need , I would say that the 2 RHPs one that is 150w and the other 125w is probably overkill

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
My enclosures are inside my shop, so, it is always @ 72degrees. Are you going to use this enclosure outside?

evilsharky

Brooklyn
No this will be indoors but it is an indian star hatchling so I do want to keep the temps above 80 at all times. It gets pretty cold here(NY) in the winters so I think I would need atleast 2 RHPs. Not too sure about the high wattages (125W and 150W) that they recommended though.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
my 4x8x3 enclosures stay at 80 degrees at night to 90 + degrees during the day no problem with one 120w rhp. There is also 3 -65W incandescent bulbs for basking areas ,plus UVB, plus an LED grow light in each