Feeling a bit homocidal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Went over to Tuck's house, to speak with his sister and mother (dad's been out of the picture for quite a while, it appears)....Sister (17) told me that her BF (29!) told her he'd bought Apollonia at PetSmart and that she's sorry, but she had no idea that the patio wasn't a good place to keep her...kinda snotty and not too bright!

The mom was too drunk to add much to the conversation, except to point out that if I wanted to confront the BF, he'll be in the county jail (until his trial for Grand Theft Auto, possession of a controlled substance [crystal meth] and high-speed running from the law) for a while. He got caught Wednesday, which may be the best news out of this whole mess.

Now I know why Tuck likes to hang out at our house so much, but I really feel sorry for his sister...she seems to need some serious guidance before she takes a few more wrong turns!

Tuck's offered to pay me for Apollonia, but I told him I appreciated the gesture, but that that wouldn't be fair.

Guess that's where it ends.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Wow that sounds like an episode of Jerry Springer! So sorry this happened! :(

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Terry Allan Hall said:
Went over to Tuck's house, to speak with his sister and mother (dad's been out of the picture for quite a while, it appears)....Sister (17) told me that her BF (29!) told her he'd bought Apollonia at PetSmart and that she's sorry, but she had no idea that the patio wasn't a good place to keep her...kinda snotty and not too bright!

The mom was too drunk to add much to the conversation, except to point out that if I wanted to confront the BF, he'll be in the county jail (until his trial for Grand Theft Auto, possession of a controlled substance [crystal meth] and high-speed running from the law) for a while. He got caught Wednesday, which may be the best news out of this whole mess.

Now I know why Tuck likes to hang out at our house so much, but I really feel sorry for his sister...she seems to need some serious guidance before she takes a few more wrong turns!

Tuck's offered to pay me for Apollonia, but I told him I appreciated the gesture, but that that wouldn't be fair.

Guess that's where it ends.

Wow........ This explains so much, but at least the little boy is making the right choices, been better if he did it sooner if he knew.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
That's sickening. That mother has issues of her own. I mean Dangit at 17 there's no way I would have been allowed to date a guy that much older. Tuck needs good influence in his life.

I'm Sorry for your loss.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Ugh, I'd keep Tuck under your wing. He obviously needs a steady role model. People suck...

Minority1

5 Year Member
I wouldn't blame the girl, she had no knowledge on how to care for a tortoise. I'm pretty sure she assumed it was a maintenance free pet. It wasn't the best conclusion but at least you know the culprit's paying some form of punishment one way or the other. Let's hope the they tack on sex offender to his list and be done with him.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Kind of a messed up family, although maybe the little boy still has a shot. Seems the BF has a pattern of criminal activity, and poor little Apollonia happened to be one of his victims. Looks like he's finally going to get what's coming to him. I'm just sorry he targeted your household before finally getting busted. :(

BTW - If the girl says her boyfriend gave her your tortoise, can't that be used against him?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Well Terry, it's a good thing that too old for that girl tortoise thief is in the pokey. Crystal meth. Wow. That is serious stupid going on in his head. And that girl too, and mom. Oy. My grandfather, a wise man who adored his 4 CDT tortoises, always said that you do not pay karma when you are 6 feet under, you pay it before you die. That criminal got his karma back like right away, I will say. I am just so sad that baby Apollonia had to pay for his journey and life lesson with her life. Sad-mad ... sad-mad ... repeat ... crazy angry. So bloody wrong to have taken her from her family and for her to have been left outside for chrissakes. Sigh.

M

Maggie Cummings

That was simply very painful to read. I am so sorry that happened to you and the tortoises. Freakin horrible people. I am so sorry...

Logan J

5 Year Member
It's like wonder if that kid had a pet and someone stole it and didn't feed it or anything they would be so upset people are absolutely clueless and they should be held accountable

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I hope the B.F.enjoys his time in the county jail.
He could have some rather interesting encounters and I hope he does! He deserves the very best, that the county jails have to offer. There are some big fella's there.

I did not sleep last night! This is the saddest story I have heard.

Hugs to you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That was simply very painful to read. I am so sorry that happened to you and the tortoises.

Terry, I am completely with Maggie and she said this from our hearts to yours....

Rest in peace precious :tort:

EKLC

5 Year Member
Rest in peace little Apollonia. So sorry this happened to you both, we are really at the mercy of the dirtbags out there. I come home everyday hoping no one has jumped my fence.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Terry I am so sorry I only just read this-how very sad.....

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tortoise said:
Terry I am so sorry I only just read this-how very sad.....

Thanks...it's hurting a bit less, but still some.

Amazing how our tortoises (and other pets) become a such big part of our lives.

Spent several hours this week making the enclosures "rip-off" proof...rebuilt the covers by replacing the pine frames with rock maple (and have probably burned up my drill!), added high-quality locks, and moved our guard-dog's sleeping box between the two enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with everyone else's sentiments here, pretty much. Pugsandkids has the right idea. If there is any "reason" to all of this, it might be to make you realize how much Tuck NEEDS you. Your influence might be the turning point in his life. I was once in that spot, Tucks's spot, and one man made the difference for me, when all else in life was trying to drag me to the dark side.

I wish you the best Terry. Good luck.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would agree with Tom, We never really know what the master plan is. Maybe you can give the boy the attention that he needs and give him another example of how you live your life, Im sure he doesnt have any good examples at home. The meth addict sitting in jail will have plenty of time to think, he will either change or pick up where he left off when he gets out. I have lived in his shoes before and spent several years in prison myself because of drugs. Thats what I needed to make a permanent change,,,,,,Kind of a rough place:D....I worry about my tortoises being stolen all the time and have taken drastic measures to prevent it. Sorry for this sad ending to your tortoise,,,, this is every tortoise keepers nightmare.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Oh my goodness, what a sad, sad loss :'-(
Worse part is that I know that pain firsthand. I lost my first herd to murder. Came home to see a bunch of kids running away from our yard, and left behind was 10 dead bodies in a pool of blood. One was missing and later returned to me in pieces. Only my 2 favorite boxies survived and that was because I had them with me. Dad and I (I was a teenager) went to talk to their parents and all of them shrugged their shoulders saying "well, they wanted to see what they were like inside. And, they're just turtles!" Yep, perfectly reasonable and acceptable, right?!?! They eventually poisoned our cat and dog too...
I'm literally shaking and teary eyed right now.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
diaboliqueturtle said:
Oh my goodness, what a sad, sad loss :'-(
Worse part is that I know that pain firsthand. I lost my first herd to murder. Came home to see a bunch of kids running away from our yard, and left behind was 10 dead bodies in a pool of blood. One was missing and later returned to me in pieces. Only my 2 favorite boxies survived and that was because I had them with me. Dad and I (I was a teenager) went to talk to their parents and all of them shrugged their shoulders saying "well, they wanted to see what they were like inside. And, they're just turtles!" Yep, perfectly reasonable and acceptable, right?!?! They eventually poisoned our cat and dog too...
I'm literally shaking and teary eyed right now.

Wow, so this has happened to someone else, too?! Oh, this is just terrible. I am so sorry to hear that from you as well. In both cases, it seems like the perpetrators come from really ignorant, depraved backgrounds. Of course, that is still no excuse. Just awful. :(

BTW - Did you report them to the authorities?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I was devastated at losing my buddies in such a callous way. I can't say I'm over it, even after close to 25 years.
I don't know/remember if my dad reported them but, they were minors so I doubt anything came of it if he did :-/
I'm super protective of my "kids", although I don't live in that godawful small town anymore, I just can't bring myself to let my boxie or red foot outside unattended...

Status
Not open for further replies.