New tortoise owner: please help!

amne1984

Location (City and/or State)
Cicero, IL
Hello,

My name is Annie, and my sister recently gave me her red-footed tortoise (I named her Tortsky) ; my sister was a poor tortoise owner and I've always had to intervene in the past to help rectify issues (changing her water bowl, soaking her, etc), and now that she's officially mine, I'd like to make sure Tortsky gets healthy and has what she needs. I took a picture of her shell; can someone tell me how old she is and if she's dehydrated? She's about 6.5 inches right now. Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.34.05 PM.png

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
None of us can tell how old is she/he
you might want to soak her/him for 20 Minutes in Warm Water.
show a picture of the enclosure
what are the temperature and humidity
what do you feed her/him?

amne1984

Cicero, IL
None of us can tell how old is she/he
you might want to soak her/him for 20 Minutes in Warm Water.
show a picture of the enclosure
what are the temperature and humidity
what do you feed her/him?

Here is a picture of her terrarium. I will be moving her to a much larger enclosure soon. I plan to build an 8x4 enclosure within the next couple weeks. She already has a UVB/UVA heat lamp I got her last fall, but before that, I know my sister used a heat lamp that didn't have UVA/UVB, so I'm worried Tortsky might have lasting damage from spending long periods of time without proper lighting.

Her diet largely consisted of those Mixed Green bags you buy in grocery stores; lettuce, radicchio, carrots, butter lettuce. I limit the amount of spinach I give her because I read it's unhealthy for redfoots.

Occasionally, I'll give her a slice of banana, strawberries, and--during the summer--I've picked some dandelions.

I just bought some Mazuri Tortoise Diet food online, which should be coming in about a week or so.

Also, we live in Chicago, so I can only take her outside during the summer months. She spent most of this past winter indoors in this terrarium, so she didn't get much exercise. I let her out as much as my sister would allow, so she could walk around and get exercise, but even in our heated home, she would quickly get too cold.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 1.38.42 AM.png

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Redfoots get about a a foot long you’ll need something WAYY Bigger, feed more variety try cutting the carrots and add spring mix, mustard, collard, etc. i’ll link a care sheet.
i’ll wait for some one more experienced to come.

Good Luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good of you to take on the responsibility for caring for your sister's tortoise. We have a couple of very good care sheets for you to read and learn from:

I'm afraid that your aquarium, while rather large, still isn't big enough for your tortoise. Here's a link to an enclosure one of our members built for their redfooted tortoise: