Feeling a bit homocidal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Apollonia, my youngest Hermann's, was stolen off of my porch about a week ago, while sunning, and a local youngster just brought her home...seems his sister's boyfriend "found" her and gave her to the sister, who has kept her outside all this time, including the last few days and nights, with temps down into the mid-30s (weird weather for these parts @ this time of the year!) on a concrete slab porch...no food, water or any kind of shelter!

Apollonia is currently extremely lethargic, her eyes are VERY sunken, and she's just laying in some shallow, warm water (figured she's pretty dehydrated)...I'm hoping she survives, but she looks terrible.

Could use some prayers, folks! :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is terrible. I am so sorry. Only the best of vibes heading your way. Please keep us posted. The poor thing:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is VERY good news that she came home.

Lots of TLC will have her back up and running in no time.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sorry this happened. Such a shame. Shes back to yah though Terry. Good vibes comin your way.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats good the little boy got it back so you can help her recover . The best wishes to you and your little shelled buddy

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sorry to hear that happened. She should have had a long life. :(

Could she have escaped from the porch or are you sure she was stolen?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tortus said:
Sorry to hear that happened. She should have had a long life. :(

Could she have escaped from the porch or are you sure she was stolen?

Definitely stolen...my porch has an 18" tall plywood "fence" around it, built back when I had a 35# sulcata and I've never had one get over it. Anything over 8" is beyond my Hermann's torts climbing ability. And he had to have opened the gate, about 40' from the porch, to get to her.

Called a friend on the Sherriff's Dept., but he feels that unless I can find a witness, not much can be done.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am so sorry that you lost your baby. This is a very sad story.
My thoughts and prayers are now with you!
I am sorry for your loss.

ulkal

5 Year Member
I am sorry that your tortoise died. Cannot believe someone would do that,so infuriating.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
If it was me I would still go and talk to the parents of the kid and if they have any decency they will at least question the kid
usually a parent can tell if the child is lying if enough pressure is given
just what I would do and it is worth a try
wont bring your little one back but may help save another in the future
So sorry for your loss

Minority1

5 Year Member
sueb4653 said:
If it was me I would still go and talk to the parents of the kid and if they have any decency they will at least question the kid
usually a parent can tell if the child is lying if enough pressure is given
just what I would do and it is worth a try
wont bring your little one back but may help save another in the future
So sorry for your loss

Agreed. You deserve at the very least a sincere apology from the little thief. The girlfriend and her brother can back up your claims.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
This makes me so sick to my stomach. So wrong. A kid being stupid and immoral has cost the life of this sweet little tortoise. I am so sorry Terry. A pink candle for healing.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
This jerk just stole your pet tortoise right off your porch, only to neglect it and let it get deathly ill?! And how did the little brother figure out the tortoise actually belongs to you, anyway?

So sorry to hear about this. I know I would be furious about this. In fact, I have worried about this myself sometimes. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely demand compensation. Not that it would bring your beloved pet back. But for me, it would help bring closure, and help care for the pets that still remain. Outrageous.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
GeoTerraTestudo said:
And how did the little brother figure out the tortoise actually belongs to you, anyway?

I wondered this myself. I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually the one who stole it, and then blamed it on his sister's boyfriend. Then out of guilt, and seeing it was lethargic, returned it. It seems like the parents would have noticed a tortoise on the porch.

Sad ending.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortus said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
And how did the little brother figure out the tortoise actually belongs to you, anyway?

I wondered this myself. I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually the one who stole it, and then blamed it on his sister's boyfriend. Then out of guilt, and seeing it was lethargic, returned it. It seems like the parents would have noticed a tortoise on the porch.

Sad ending.

I'm wondering the same. In any event, whether it's the little boy or the teenage boyfriend, in my opinion, that family should be approached about this crime. And it is a crime: not only theft, but animal cruelty as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.