Russian Tortoise with a Loss of Appetite

ForrestSBGT

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hello, I have a female Russian tortoise of whom is immensely picky. She will not eat the greens of which she requires. She used to have the largest obsession of food; constantly begging for more, but, something happened. She became quite lethargic--constantly sleeping. I wonder if it was due to brumation, because she is now very active, but she still will not eat. She loves to roam on the porch and constantly wants out of her tank. The temperature of the substrate beneath her heating lamp is around 110 degrees Fahrenheit, and the humidity is between 30-40%. Her enclosure is provided with a shallow water bowl, a hide, and decorative plants for a sense of comfort, perhaps. If anyone has any advice, it would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you
Forrest

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A picture of her and the enclosure will help us spot any problems.
If she is an adult, a tank is way too small for her. An adult Russian needs a minimum of 4x8 feet.
What type of bulbs are you using for heat and uvb?
When fall rolls around those the brumate/hibernate start slowing down and not wanting to eat to get ready for the hibernating. That's when lights need to be a little brighter and stay on longer.
I would also get the basking down to 95-100.

ForrestSBGT

Kentucky
A picture of her and the enclosure will help us spot any problems.
If she is an adult, a tank is way too small for her. An adult Russian needs a minimum of 4x8 feet.
What type of bulbs are you using for heat and uvb?
When fall rolls around those the brumate/hibernate start slowing down and not wanting to eat to get ready for the hibernating. That's when lights need to be a little brighter and stay on longer.
I would also get the basking down to 95-100.
I have known since I have had her that she needs a more large enclosure, however, I am not an adult and I do not have any money of my own. My father refuses to buy/build a new enclosure for her. I have been thinking about selling her, but I love her with all of my heart. I try my best to keep her happy and healthy. I will lower the temperature under her basking lamp and see if there are any improvements.

Thank you very much for replying,
Forrest

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, this post is for your dad.
If this tortoise does not have a proper sized enclosure, she will not be able to get the exercise she needs to keep her muscle strength and will not be able to walk properly. Also the stress of being in a small enclosure could make her sick and you don't want a vet bill or to not treat it.
An enclosure doesn't have to be fancy or made with new wood. I built my tortoises enclosure all out of used wood. They are not pretty but they work.
You can even buy a couple of the large tote boxes, cut holes in one end of them, big enough for the tort to fit thru and join them together with the holes matching up so the tort can go from one tote to the next.
In my area, there are always a lot of wood skids for free. Some people sell them but a lot of places just put them out for the taking. The wood from those can make a good enclosure.
If you don't have floor space for a proper sized enclosure, a lot of people build two levels with a ramp from the bottom to top level.
If you have any questions or need help building something, just ask on this forum. We have all kinds of members that are willing to help.
Please help your child to learn the right way to owning an animal.