An old friend decided to get a tortoise on a whim and I'm mad

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
I have had many people ask me about my torts (they're my background on my computer at work) and of course being the proud mother I am I can't help but go on about how wonderful my little guys are. a lot of people have wanted one but when I explain the amount of care they take they are usually turned off. I have had people contact me wanting me to take their tortoise they can no longer care for which is really hard because I know I don't have enough room and resources for a third. all you can do is educate you shouldn't feel badly for being a proud parent of a healthy tort

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Yep... do not isolate yourself because of this. A lot of things we can't control. What you did such as sending him/her the articles to read and links to TFO are more than enough. You do your part, his/her ignorance is something that is out of your league.
He /she got the idea of tortoise from you, yes it is, but who don't get idea from others? I have a car, suddenly someone imitate me but don't know how to drive and have car accident. My fault?
:D:D:D
Cheer up, don't think too much.;););)

Holly'sMom

You know both petco's I go to have these for 130$. one Petco has 4 of these in a small (prob 25gl tank)! Then the other has 2 hermise( not sure if that's spelled right) and 2 Russians again together in a tank just as small. They can barely move wo walking on each other.. THEN I asked for help in reptiles, explaining to the guy who came to help that I needed to get a different or third lamp/bulb because i was having issues getting my 3 temps w just one basking light and heat lamp. He looked at me like I was crazy telling me I only needed one temp 80-85*F all over and he'd never heard that a tortoise needed 3 different temps and even after I'd pulled up a link on enclosures he still acted like I was being overly complicated...That's part of the reason people end up w pets they can't care for! Rather than read themselves they rely on the people at pet stores who may not have any experience w an animal to tell them what they need or they just don't care.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Acworth, GA
You know both petco's I go to have these for 130$. one Petco has 4 of these in a small (prob 25gl tank)! Then the other has 2 hermise( not sure if that's spelled right) and 2 Russians again together in a tank just as small. They can barely move wo walking on each other.. THEN I asked for help in reptiles, explaining to the guy who came to help that I needed to get a different or third lamp/bulb because i was having issues getting my 3 temps w just one basking light and heat lamp. He looked at me like I was crazy telling me I only needed one temp 80-85*F all over and he'd never heard that a tortoise needed 3 different temps and even after I'd pulled up a link on enclosures he still acted like I was being overly complicated...That's part of the reason people end up w pets they can't care for! Rather than read themselves they rely on the people at pet stores who may not have any experience w an animal to tell them what they need or they just don't care.

I worked at a Petsmart for awhile as a cashier. Sadly, I was one of very few with actual reptile experience. At least if I was there, I could talk to people in the check out line about what they were purchasing and why.... Not every pet store has actual pet owners. The petcare people would come cover the register for me in order to help people with things like basking lights and egg incubation.. The works!

Melissa, I feel your pain. It is NOT on your shoulders. I've had friends attempt the same thing based on my reptiles (bearded dragons, tortoises, snakes) and it only ended well on occasion. The best you can do is push the information in her face and hope for the best. I love showing pictures of my babies and talking them up, but some people see the cuteness and ignore my rambling of feeding and soaking routines. Selective hearing. A lot of us are guilty of reptile impulse buys. I know I am. Just thankful I found forums like this one for help. Good luck to you!