Decided to get a Russian

wd1882

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama, USA
I've recently decided I want to get a Russian tortoise. Not because they're the "easiest" to take care of or anything, or the cheapest. I've always had an odd attraction to Russia, so it makes sense to me.

I've decided I'm ready for the commitment of owning one. Now it's down to the habitat, and conditions. Which I want to have all worked out before I even think of buying one.

I live in Central Alabama, the humidity can vary here, but it's typically 40%-60%. I currently have a barometer in my room, and it's at around 36% in here. My room is always the hottest room in the house, something I really want to combat and bring down. It's currently around 85° in here according to this barometer.
Are either of those conditions going to cause any complications? Specifically the temperature?

As for the indoor habitat, what size should it be? I plan on building it myself rather than just buying an aquarium.

Once I get all this worked out, where should I purchase the tortoise? I don't have any pet stores other than PetSmart and Petco around here that sell reptiles other than snakes. Any websites that can be recommended?

I appreciate any help. :)

Thanks.

P.S. How much harder are Greek Tortoises to take care of? Taking into account size and such.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
If its an adult russian than i wouldnt worry to much about the humidity. Just give the tortoise 3-4 soaks (more are always fine) a week for 20 mins to maintain its hydration and allow it to deficate. One nice thing about Russians is that they can be an indoor tortoise forever if you want them to and provide enough space. Instead of building something from scratch, there are some different raised garden beds on amazon that work great as tort homes and most have tents or are made like tents to keep humidity high. You would have to make a base and cover it with a shower curtain so dirt and water dont leak out anywhere but that is easy and most likely inexpensive. As far as your temperature goes, I would think 85 would be fine for a cool side and definitely warmer on the warm side and basking areas but someone who is more experienced with russians will be able to help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Personally I have had a Greek tortoise for a little more than four years, and I hadn't dealt with animals, I'd never had a pet before, so you can imagine the stress. However, I did a lot of research on the net, and later on I joined the forum. I learnt how to deal with my tort, what to feed it, how to give it a soak, and so on. Believe me, I now love it! If you're intending to go for a tort as a pet please keep in mind: patience and sunlight.

Now that you are a member here, go into diffierent forums/threads that may be of help to you when it comes to choosing the species yoo want.

And of course.....good luck!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Symbieh there's some great care sheets under Species Specific for Russians and Greeks which should tell you all you need to know about temps humidity, diet etc. to help you decide and if you look at the Enclosures section you'll get lots of good ideas. I also found the Beginners Mistakes thread useful to help me avoid making the same mistakes.
So read and ask as many questions as you need there's always someone around to help and point you in the right direction and welcome to the forum.