Sending my tortoise mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am eventaully going to bulid a version of the hutch pictured below but bigger for Little Foot to spent her summer days, i am going to use chicken wire small enough so her head does get stuck but big enough for her to see out, but i have heard that you shouldn't let them see out for some reason like it sends them mad that they can see whats around them but cant get to it. What is the truth behind this?

Another thing i am planning to plant grass, danilion weeds, forget me nots, and other safe flowers for a hermans in a small lipped tray and place that in the run section of the hutch so she can eat them and play in them, will this be fine?

Heres in a picture of the hutch
hutch.jpg

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
rosiee, tortoises will get stressed if they can see something they want but can't get to it. you will notice your tort will pace and claw at the wire. its probably a good idea to line the bottom of that hutch with something opaque.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would suggest getting some 1"x2" wire and lay it on the ground under your tort run. Attach it to the sides(chain link ties work good). That way the grass can still grow thru the holes for him to eat.
Yes, I agree with the other posters that you need to put up walls so he can't see out. He may still pace some at first, but he will be less apt to try to dig out and be less stressed. 1"x12" boards work. I use a metal flashing that is 50' long and comes in 12",18", 20" & 24" from Home Depot. I set it up in an oval shape so there are no corners. It also is slick so they can't climb it. I use dog Igloo houses for them to use to hide and sleep in. I also get shade cloth at Home Depot to cover one end of the run to provide shade. I just attach it with safety pins so the wind doesn't blow it away. I would provide photos but my camera battery is dead.
Good luck
Patsy

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i was going to put a chicken wire like thing on the base of the open bit of the enclosure for that reason any way and thanks for clearing it up you two. Now i no that i will probably make a a rectangle shape, with 1/4 sheltered with a wood flap and the other 3/4 with a wire flap, none of that probably make sense but i'll post pictures when done.

Keep advice coming though if anybody has any.

Status
Not open for further replies.