Nose nuzzles and eskimo kisses

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I have a Russian tort, Morla, who is the absolute sunshine of my life!

I've read that torts aren't meant to be handled, but Morla seems to love cuddling, beyond just a source of warmth. (The other day, she left her fave spot on her pet heating pad to crawl across and sleep on my chest.)

One thing she does which is adorable is poke her head out and touch noses softly. Then, she will (sometimes) nuzzle my nose for a little bit. She esp does this when she's feeling happy (like after a good meal, soak, and poop!).

She will not do/has not ever done this when she's "mad" at me (like when I first started tube-hydrating her) or annoyed (like after I clip her nails)--she'll literally snub me by moving her head away like a bratty child and bop me on the nose with a foot. She also has times she feels like walking around or being put down, in which then she'll just look right past me and kick to get down, very clearly avoiding a nuzzle.

Does anyone else tort do this?

Sa Ga

MN
Mine bite.
Be careful

Your Russisns? How sad!!! Mine NEVER bites me (even when I'm tubing her) and is in fact VERY careful when I hand feed her not to get me. You can see her slowly calculating where to bite her food and avoid me. (Although all holds barred when there is broccoli involved! Her exuberance with that is ....sometimes painful! ) Lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine are Redfoot. Generally much calmer than Russians.
My shoes have missing chunks from them biting me.
One tortoise in particular.
They all act differently.

Sa Ga

MN
Mine are Redfoot. Generally much calmer than Russians.
My shoes have missing chunks from them biting me.
One tortoise in particular.
They all act differently.

SO cute!!! You've got spicy little monsters! They really are their own people though, and every single one is chockful of character!

Your poor shoes! It is amazing how hard they bite (the torts, not shoes)! In fact, I just asked my vet the other day at Mo's checkup why they DON'T bite in defense. She said Russians just tend to be really gentle creatures (w/ other torts excepting, of course!).

I can't even imagine Morla fighting someone.... it'd be the slowest, most deliberate deathmatch ever!!! Lol

Sa Ga

MN
@ZEROPILOT - please post some pics here of your chompers! I'd love to see them--and your shoes! Lol

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I read somewhere that touching something with their nose signifies curiosity, and is also a "getting to know you" type of action.

Maybe that explains some of the behavior you're seeing?

Sa Ga

MN
So she's like, "Mmmm, good supper. Ah, great poop. Sigh, relaxing bath... Hey, how u doin'?"

Unless she's mad of course... Then she's like, "F that. I don't care." Lol

Sa Ga

MN
I read somewhere that touching something with their nose signifies curiosity, and is also a "getting to know you" type of action.

Maybe that explains some of the behavior you're seeing?

Do yours do that?