I'm so mad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Hey guys, I just have to vent. I found a really nice big red foot male for sale on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. I contacted the guy who had him, and he gave me a call back pretty quick. He was out in Phoenix AZ. He told me that he acquired him from another source, (I can't remember). He explained to me how he was familiar with shipping animals since he deals with birds. I guess he ships them.... I don't know.
Anyway, I paid him through Pay Pal on the 12th, but due to family stuff, he couldn't get him into the mail until Friday the 19th. I had spoken with him on the day before, and he told me that he would ship Friday to my house for a Saturday delivery.

Saturday rolls around, and I wait all day until about 4:30 pm to start getting concerned about the tortoise not arriving. I call and text message the guy, and what do you know,... no response. I call U.P.S. and they tell me that he won't be arriving until Monday the 22nd. At this point I am so mad at this guy for lying to me, and U.P.S for allowing an animal to sit in an un-climate controlled warehouse for 4 days.

They explained that he shipped him Next Day Air Saver, which I didn't realize meant it will arrive the next business day. Shame on him for doing this and lying to me. I'm worried about hydration and temperature issues while in transit. Instead of coming straight from Arizona to Texas, he went to Kentucky before coming to Fort Worth. He could have frozen, who knows?

I have made it clear to him that I want my shipping money back. He won't return my phone calls or text messages. Anyone have any idea what I should do? If the red foot arrives ok, should I pursue getting my shipping costs refunded to me. Or should I just leave it alone, and just be glad that he made it safely? I'm not as worked up as I was yesterday. I just don't know what I should do at this point. Thanks for reading my rant.

-Matt

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
If and when he doesn't arrive safely, pursue the matter via the paypale dispute court. PP, despite what they say really doesn't side with a seller very often. You'll need all emails, texts, etc to even have a chance at getting a partial refund.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
yes, well they will fight him for it..
Let me get you the info to call

go to your tool bar in that site and click on resolution center....

it will send you through a disputing transaction

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That really stinks! I hope all is well. Please keep us posted!!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you pay for a product and it is not delivered paypal will usually refund the money, but since he never specified what type of shipping he uses you may have a tough time disputing it with paypal, but it couldn't hurt to try though.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
but the shipping was to be in a certain time and that wasnt honored.

copy and past

must wait 7 days to start a dispute

You and the seller have 20 days to resolve the dispute or escalate it to a PayPal claim.

The seller reviews your message and replies in the Resolution Center. This is your opportunity to communicate directly and resolve the issue by exchanging message posts. Communicate clearly and include suggestions about how to resolve the issue, such as through a full or partial refund.

PayPal can view all posted messages in case the dispute is escalated to a claim.

We place a hold on all funds related to the transaction until the dispute is resolved or closed.

PayPal Customer Service:

1-402-935-2050
(a U.S. telephone number)

4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST Monday through Friday
6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST Saturday and Sunday

i just called paypal..

You cant get your money back over shipping issues..

But if you used ebay, you can contest that the item is not as promised...

I spoke to Ben just now

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Just by opening a dispute, the money will be held and the Seller will get the message when the funds are not in their account.

maybe the seller will refund some fees due to the irresponsibility of possibly endangering a live animal.

Either way we still have to wait to see the Tort.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The guy's an idiot for even considering shipping on a Friday to begin with. Weekends and holidays are killer for animals in the mail. In fact, IME, a responsible seller will only ship Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, and never around major holidays, in order to be relatively sure there won't be any hold ups along the way.

I hope the tort arrives alive and well... That must just really suck. I stress bad enough when having snakes shipped overnight from breeders who've done it a million times. I can't imagine having to wait through an entire weekend! =(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't worry about the shipping costs. The tortoise was shipped afterall. What I would worry about is if the animal is sick or has died because of weather. You might oughta' worry about the cost of the animal.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I would complain to the BBB.......

Not like it will help, your situation, but they would contact him and then if any one ever looked him up..he would have a complaint against him...

i am sure he is opperating as a business, and if not... call the IRS!!! call his city and report him....

tell him all these things you will do in a email.. give him the proper numbers that you will call.. so he believes you

I might be instigating..but i am mad

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Shame on you for not doing your homework and being 100% certain of all aspects of shipping, ie. routes, temperatures, and delivery times. UPS makes it very clear about transit times. If you did not specify Next Day Air with Saturday delivery, you don't have a leg to stand on. If you both agreed to Next Day Air, he did infact hold up his end of the deal and used a form of Next Day service.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks for the help guys! Yes, this guy is an idiot. I know animals should always come next day. When he told me next day air saver, and told me it would be here Saturday I didn't think twice. I was stupid for not thinking about it more. I guess I was excited. I will find out tomorrow the state of the tortoise, and let you guys know.

Tim/Robin said:
Shame on you for not doing your homework and being 100% certain of all aspects of shipping, ie. routes, temperatures, and delivery times. UPS makes it very clear about transit times. If you did not specify Next Day Air with Saturday delivery, you don't have a leg to stand on. If you both agreed to Next Day Air, he did infact hold up his end of the deal and used a form of Next Day service.

You're right, shame on me.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I would be contacting a supervisor of UPS in whatever state the box is in not worrying about refunding a shipping cost. I would demand that they make sure that the box that the tortoise is in is safe from extreme cold and explain that there is a live animal in there. I should think that if you get involved enough with UPS they would help you and the tortoise.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I was going to say the same thing.. but thought that I might be going to far....

But since some one else agrees.....

They do care for live animals more.....

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Candy said:
I would be contacting a supervisor of UPS in whatever state the box is in not worrying about refunding a shipping cost. I would demand that they make sure that the box that the tortoise is in is safe from extreme cold and explain that there is a live animal in there. I should think that if you get involved enough with UPS they would help you and the tortoise.

Amen.

I hope he arrives alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.