A new home for my Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I posted this up in the Enclosure section already, but I figured a lot of people with Russians might not look there often.

Here it before any paint. I used 1/2 inch plywood for everything on the enclosure.

PC240800.jpg
PC240801.jpg

I made the hood for the lights hinged for better access to the lights.
PC240803.jpg

The enclosure does not have a frame. I used pocket hole construction. Its fairly easy to use, very strong and does not require a frame.

This is picture of a pocket hole
pocket_hole_detail_250.jpg

I did use a 2x4 and 2x2 frame on base as I plan on having about 6" of substrate.

I put on a layer of primer
PC240804.jpg

PC240805.jpg

PC240806.jpg

After a few layers of black paint
P1010920.jpg

P1010921.jpg

I capped the corners for strength and making sure there are no escapes
P1010922.jpg

I lined the bottom and six inches up the side with FRP board (fiber reinforced plastic) to protect the wood from moisture and the tortoises nails. I also sealed the corners and installed the glass with GE silicone 1.

P1010923.jpg
P1010924.jpg
P1010925.jpg

Today I installed the lighting and wired everything up. There is double 4' T-8 florescent fixture. One full spectrum tube and one Reptisun UVB tube to help balance the lighting. Also I have two ceramic fixtures on separate dimmers for halogen lights.

75% of the enclosure will have 6" of top soil/sand mix. The other quarter will be sort of split level. The bottom will still have an inch or so of substrate and the top will have slate.

Along the back will be live plants. I have three or four aloe vera, two Christmas cacti, and two different spider plants. All of these are edible and the tortoises have had an aloe vera with them for ten months with just the occasional nibble.

I still need to install the doors on the base, finish the split level section, and then get everything settled. I hope the tortoises are in there new home within the week.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
kimber_lee_314 said:
Very nice ... you should go into business!

Haha I wish, maybe one day in the distant future when I can retire.

After this I plan on building a matching base for my aquatic turtles with a 75 gallon aqurium and a raised land area on the back quarter for basking.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Man that enclosure looks awesome! :D I love to see your aquatic turtle setup when it's ready.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
I finished the lighting last week. Worked on it last night and most of today and it is basically finished. Just letting the substrate get up to room temperature. The soil/sand has been out in a garage for a week or so now.

All that's left is painting the doors and aligning them. Tomorrow morning the torts are going in there new home.

P1090923.jpg

P1090925.jpg

Pepper, our Toy Poodle (who's looking pretty shaggy), kept sneaking into the photos.
P1090926.jpg

The framework for the raised area and the divider for the plants.
P1090927.jpg

The almost finished product
P1090929.jpg

P1090930.jpg

P1090931.jpg

A tortoise's eye view from the raised section
P1090932.jpg

P1090933.jpg

P1090935.jpg

P1090936.jpg

P1090937.jpg

P1090940.jpg

P1090941.jpg

I can't wait to see how the tortoises like their new home.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow that looks incredible!! Puts my little pine box tortoise table to shame :p
I can't wait to see pics with the Russians in there!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ChiKat said:
Wow that looks incredible!! Puts my little pine box tortoise table to shame :p
I can't wait to see pics with the Russians in there!

Don't use pine for a tort table, pine's emits toxic fumes. So does cedar. Have you tried maple or oak? Aspen and birch also work. Not trying to be a know-it-all, just wanna see tortoises in the right enviroment. :p

BTW datsun, forgot to mention how incredible your habitat looks. You put lots of effort and the whole things looks real innovative. Incredible job!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is true that pine can be toxic to tortoises. However, pine building materials are kiln dried, and very rarely retain any of the sap or harmful oils that are what makes pine toxic. I build my enclosures out of pine because it is cheap. As long as the wood does not give off a strong odor, and there is good ventilation, it is perfectly okay to use pine.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
kyryah said:
It is true that pine can be toxic to tortoises. However, pine building materials are kiln dried, and very rarely retain any of the sap or harmful oils that are what makes pine toxic. I build my enclosures out of pine because it is cheap. As long as the wood does not give off a strong odor, and there is good ventilation, it is perfectly okay to use pine.

Ohhhhhh...okay. Thanks for the notification Kristina.

Status
Not open for further replies.