New Russian Enclosure Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I started building a new enclosure about two weeks ago and have been working on it during my free time.

It is slightly larger than 2'x4'. The base is two feet tall and the enclosure is about two and a half feet tall. I was planning on having six to seven inches of dirt/sand mix on 3/4 of the enclosure and the last quarter go down into a burrow like area with slate covered area overhead.

In the hood area there will be a double 4' t-8 fixture and two other halogen fixtures. The bottom and lower half of sides will be covered with FRP board with the corners siliconed to protect it from moisture.

I am planning on planting aloe and sedum along the rear is slightly raised section that I hope will prevent the tortoises from uprooting it too badly.

Here it is so far. The enclosure is 1/2 plywood. I used primarily pocket hole screw construction so no frame was necessary. I did use a frame on the base for extra support.

The final color will be black.

PC240800.jpg
PC240801.jpg

I have the front part of the hood hinged for better access to the lighting. Also all the halogens have dimmers built in and all lights are on a timer.
PC240803.jpg
PC240804.jpg
PC240805.jpg

PC240806.jpg

I put the first coat of black paint on today and will probably need another two to get the finish I want.
Then install the glass and FRP board.
After that I'll install the electrical and the actual interior for the torts.

Let me know what you think and any other ideas you have.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
Here are some updates.

Some sanding, two coats of black paint on the inside and three coats on the outside later and this is what you get.

P1010920.jpg

P1010921.jpg
P1010922.jpg

I lined the bottom of the cage with FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) board along the bottom and six inches up the side and sealed the seams with GE silicone 1. This should protect the wood from the moisture in the substrate and from any digging tortoises.

I also installed the glass and am letting that all cure for now.

P1010924.jpg
P1010925.jpg

I'm going to install and wire all the lighting up today hopefully. A double 4' florescent fixture and two halogen ceramic halogen fixtures with dimmers. I should be able to get plenty of light for the plants I'll be putting in there.

Right now I have two christmas cacti, three aloe vera and I'd still like to get another edible plant possibly.

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
I finished the lighting last week. Worked on it last night and most of today and it is basically finished. Just letting the substrate get up to room temperature. The soil/sand has been out in a garage for a week or so now.

All that's left is painting the doors and aligning them. Tomorrow morning the torts are going in there new home.

P1090923.jpg

P1090925.jpg

Pepper, our Toy Poodle (who's looking pretty shaggy), kept sneaking into the photos.
P1090926.jpg

The framework for the raised area and the divider for the plants.
P1090927.jpg

The almost finished product
P1090929.jpg

P1090930.jpg

P1090931.jpg

A tortoise's eye view from the raised section
P1090932.jpg

P1090933.jpg

P1090935.jpg

P1090936.jpg

P1090937.jpg

P1090940.jpg

P1090941.jpg

I can't wait to see how the tortoises like their new home.

B K

5 Year Member
It looks great. I’m sure they will love it.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's really nice, Dustin:

You've worked pretty hard on it and it shows. Can you describe your heating and lighting arrangement?

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Wow that looks great! I'm sure the torts are gonna love it!

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
emysemys said:
That's really nice, Dustin:

You've worked pretty hard on it and it shows. Can you describe your heating and lighting arrangement?

Thank you.

I have two 4' t-8 (florescent lamps) and two 60 watt halogens. The halogens' fixtures are on separate dimmers. I will probably go out today and grab some higher wattage halogens as I'm only getting a surface temp of 96 on my basking spot.

One florescent is a Reptisun 10.0 and the other a 5000k to help balance the light spectrum

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
beautiful tort box. Im lovin the rasied plants. Lets see them stomp them now

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Looks great. Well designed, and very pleasing to look at. Our russian never lets me dress up her enclosure. Destructive little creatures.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
HAH! Mine will be better..!

okay, probably not. *runs away and cries*

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know, it has been a few months since you showed us those finished pictures, how is it working out for you in reality? Any problems or things you would do differently next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.