My Russians!

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonwonderland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I've seen a lot of people introducing their various tortoises, so I figured I'd do the same! :)

0114131807_zpsc7d25693.jpg

My tank is 7 ft. long and 3 ft. wide. There's a 48 inch UVB light in the middle and a basking light at one end. It stays around 85 on the warm side, 70 on the cool. I put in a trash can for them to have as a house, but Nina has taken it over. There are pieces of wood and quite a few rocks to decorate and serve as an obstacle course of sorts. :p My substrate is 75/25 organic soil and sand, and I introduced some night crawlers and wax worms today to start a bio climate.

0114131842_zpsa54a6ac3.jpg

If you look really close, you might be able to see Nina in there. She's the smallest girl at just under 5 inches. She likes to stay buried after 6p.m. and doesn't re-surface until breakfast at 7 a.m. :)

0114131843_zps0c3e8090.jpg

This is Elana. She's just a tiny bit bigger than Nina at a perfect 5 inches. She's really shy, but funny to watch. She's horrible at digging a hole to bury herself in. The trash can was meant for her. :p

0114131806_zps8e61009b.jpg

Finally, we have Dimitri and Marta. Dimitri is my big boy, only a hair under 5 inches. He's the most fun to let run around the house, but is determined to either poop in as many places as possible or make it out the doggy door. He now has to be fitted with a paper towel taped to his rear to catch any accidents. :p Marta is my biggest girl at 5.25 inches. She's my piggy of the bunch and likes to bring snacks back to the basking rock with her. She also doesn't put up with any nonsense from my cat or dog, and she won't hesitate to take a bite out of them if they get rough! My cat learned that lesson the hard way!

Sorry if the post is super long, but I wanted to introduce myself and them properly! :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Thats great! I hope to have 4 Russians myself eventually. Are you breeding them?

allisonwonderland

5 Year Member
Ohio
Spn785 said:
Thats great! I hope to have 4 Russians myself eventually. Are you breeding them?

They're not old enough to breed yet, but that is the plan! I originally was only going to have Dimitri and Marta, but baby Russians are so cute! So, I decided to go big or go home! It's worked out really well! :) As soon as we get some eggs (which won't be for another year probably), I'll make sure I post lots of pictures then too!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Very fun! You have a nice big enclosure, too. Do they spend some time outside in the Summer?

allisonwonderland said:
Spn785 said:

They're not old enough to breed yet, but that is the plan! I originally was only going to have Dimitri and Marta, but baby Russians are so cute! So, I decided to go big or go home! It's worked out really well! :) As soon as we get some eggs (which won't be for another year probably), I'll make sure I post lots of pictures then too!

allisonwonderland

5 Year Member
Ohio
We haven't had a summer yet for them to play outside, but we do plan on getting a baby pool that they can be in for a couple hours a day once it's not all gross out. I live in an apartment complex right now, so I don't really want to leave them out all day. But hopefully we'll get a house soon, and we plan on having an entire tortoise room for them! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.