WILD FIRES AND MUD SLIDES

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
with the mud slides in CA and the wild fires in TX I hope all our members and their shelled friends are safe and not in the paths of either one. I didn't hear about Oregon or Washington until Cowboy Ken informed me. So this goes out to anyone that lives where I may have missed, these terrible things happening.

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for the thought Barb! By those events, make us humble as a human. At least, makes me humble.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm too arrogant to be humble :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
with the mud slides in CA and the wild fires in TX I hope all our members and their shelled friends are safe and not in the paths of either one.
One thing here Barb, I'm here in Oregon and we, as well as Washington State, suffered terribly from fires burning. At one point our governor declared us in an actual state of emergency. The overall draught has caused plenty to just be dead and dried out. Finally our overall humidity levels have gone back up, helping the brave men and women out there working their arses off to put them out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One thing here Barb, I'm here in Oregon and we, as well as Washington State, suffered terribly from fires burning. At one point our governor declared us in an actual state of emergency. The overall draught has caused plenty to just be dead and dried out. Finally our overall humidity levels have gone back up, helping the brave men and women out there working their arses off to put them out.
Thanks Ken, I never heard. There has been some terrible things this year all over, and it seems worst then past years.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sadly getting worse.
Look at yesterdays hurricane.
As global temperatures rise, so do the chances of more frequent and more powerful natural disasters. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly getting worse.
Look at yesterdays hurricane.
As global temperatures rise, so do the chances of more frequent and more powerful natural disasters. :(

The weather this whole year seems to have been weird all over. Each year seems to be worst then the last.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I haven't kept track of that hurricane down in Mexico. They say the winds are almost 200 miles an hour. I can't even imagine that. Tornadoes are like that but they don't last for hours. I hope Texas doesn't float away. They said they're going to get a lot of rain also. And up here we are dry as a bone with no rain in sight. They say it's going to be a warmer and dryer winter. Not good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those mudslides were only about 10 miles north of me. We didn't even get one drop of rain here. It was sunny the whole time. Freaky freaky weather all summer long this year. It rained half a dozen times the summer. I can't remember that last time a single drop of rain ever fell here in summer and we had days of warm rain this year. We are anticipating some really rough times this winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They say we, here in Chicago, Michigan, etc, are suppose to have a mild winter. Not sure how correct they will be, upper Michigan and the UP already had snow. I'm all for a mild winter. We had a very rainy late spring and early summer, tornadoes that were in the out lying areas, were really bad, just crazy all over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those mudslides were only about 10 miles north of me. We didn't even get one drop of rain here. It was sunny the whole time. Freaky freaky weather all summer long this year. It rained half a dozen times the summer. I can't remember that last time a single drop of rain ever fell here in summer and we had days of warm rain this year. We are anticipating some really rough times this winter.

Glad it wasn't closer, but I bet you could have used some of the rain, just not that much.

Prairie Mom

This fire was the closest one has been to our house on Sunday!!! We were only a couple streets away from the evacuation zone. Whew! Grab your tortoise and your insurance policy, people!!!
ridgecrest fire.jpg
Luckily it was contained in the same day. Here's a crazy video of this same fire that someone posted on youtube. You can see a single gust of wind take out a whole hill side! Nuts!

Fires have been non-stop this year. We lost NINE THOUSAND acres just outside of the town bordering us. I never thought I'd say this, but.... I'm ready for lots of snow now. When's the next blizzard???

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This fire was the closest one has been to our house on Sunday!!! We were only a couple streets away from the evacuation zone. Whew! Grab your tortoise and your insurance policy, people!!!
View attachment 155331
Luckily it was contained in the same day. Here's a crazy video of this same fire that someone posted on youtube. You can see a single gust of wind take out a whole hill side! Nuts!

Fires have been non-stop this year. We lost NINE THOUSAND acres just outside of the town bordering us. I never thought I'd say this, but.... I'm ready for lots of snow now. When's the next blizzard???
Goodness!!!!
Nature still shocks and surprises us, yet it's power is awesome.

Prairie Mom

Also, we ALWAYS have the kind of wind shown in the film. Seriously-it's non-stop. It was quite an adjustment moving here. Once I went to a natural park area with my kids and my 3 year old asked me "Mommy, why are the trees STILL?" --It blew my mind! In her world, the trees always dance and move!