Hermann’s tortoise poop. Is this healthy?

vklaq

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have an 8-9 month old hermann’s and recently I’ve noticed his poop is watery, it also looks like it has some undigested food in it and I was wondering if this is healthy? I feed him weeds from outside including field madder, dandelion greens, the occasional dandelion flower, endive, carrot, cilantro and kale.

Attachments

• IMG_6904.jpeg
    IMG_6904.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
How do you keep him - inside or outside? What are temperatures (night low, day ambient cold/warm part and under the basking lamp)?

vklaq

Florida
Hello!
How do you keep him - inside or outside? What are temperatures (night low, day ambient cold/warm part and under the basking lamp)?
It gets around 65-70F at night in the enclosure, 80-85F during the day, under the heat lamp is ~95F and I have him outside for most of the day and inside during the night

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh, that wonderful Florida weather!

To my limited knowledge, there are common reasons for a runny stool like this:
1. Too low temperatures, so he can't fully digest food.
2. Parasites (flagellates)
3. Wrong foods like sugary fruits in excess and lack of fiber.

If this situation lasts for a while and there is more goo I would take a stool sample to the vet to check for protozoans.

vklaq

Florida
Oh, that wonderful Florida weather!

To my limited knowledge, there are common reasons for a runny stool like this:
1. Too low temperatures, so he can't fully digest food.
2. Parasites (flagellates)
3. Wrong foods like sugary fruits in excess and lack of fiber.

If this situation lasts for a while and there is more goo I would take a stool sample to the vet to check for protozoans.
Alright, I haven’t fed him any fruit ever and I’m not sure about parasites, I can try feeding him more fiber rich foods. Are the temps fine?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Alright, I haven’t fed him any fruit ever and I’m not sure about parasites, I can try feeding him more fiber rich foods. Are the temps fine?
Temps sound fine. You may temporarily increase night temps to 80 for couple of weeks, this may help if he doesn't get warm enough during the day (if he doesn't bask under the sun or lamp, for example).

The weeds you feed him have enough fiber (there are not an iceberg lettuce). I doubt this is the issue.

If such runny stool only happened once, I would not worry.

vklaq

Florida
Temps sound fine. You may temporarily increase night temps to 80 for couple of weeks, this may help if he doesn't get warm enough during the day (if he doesn't bask under the sun or lamp, for example).

The weeds you feed him have enough fiber (there are not an iceberg lettuce). I doubt this is the issue.

If such runny stool only happened once, I would not worry.
Alright, I can try making it warmer during the night but I’ve noticed this watery stool for the last 3-4 times

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Check if it gets better with higher temperatures. If not - get a sample to the vet for a fecal test.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Is it a constant watery poop or just recently? Has he had a lot of dandelion flowers of late? The flowers eaten in excess can cause runny stools

vklaq

Florida
Is it a constant watery poop or just recently? Has he had a lot of dandelion flowers of late? The flowers eaten in excess can cause runny stools
I’ve only noticed the watery stool within the past couple weeks and I feed him a couple dandelion flowers every few days, which I have been doing ever since I got him about 6 months ago.