what a difference in the way I look at things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tequillakma

5 Year Member
it's amazing how the animals in someone's life can change the way we look at things.

When driving or walking down a road, I look at the weeds and I think to myself "I wonder if Squirt can eat those?!?!" rofl.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
When ever we buy plants for the yard we always consider if the tortoises can eat them and if they can't we wont buy it...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I see free stuff on the side of the road and I invision it made into a tort enclosure. I see cactus growing and I want to break a piece off, I am a chicken so I don't. I invision tort pens all over my yard. I am awful at building things, but it looks great in my head. I think I have lost my mind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its called obsession, and I have it bad too...

Today I went to my parents house and a friend of theirs had trimmed the mulberry tree and thrown the branches in the rubbish bin!!! I was appalled at the waste of perfectly good tortoise food! I had to call that person and tell them to never touch the mulberry tree again... or at least call me so I can come collect the fresh cut branches. Its summer for goodness sake. Tortoise food is in short supply this time of year here. Don't these people know anything?!! :)

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
Ha! At least I am not alone in my insanity! In mug raised flower beds that are to built wnen the deck is finished I already have the plants picked out for my "tortoise garden" of tort friendly produce. My whole family thinks I have lost whatever marbles I had left, and many just don't understand how fun and adorable tortoises are.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Well....glad im not alone on this one...
When i walk through the street and i see a big dandelion i pick it up on the way back from my trip and when my next door neighbour closes her curtains or goes to bed i runs soo fast to her hedges in her garden and pull out the bindweed gently so it will grow back again i save it in my hedges for when it grows big and juicy ;)
i have not been caught up until now but i think im tempting fate! :D :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Angi said:
I see free stuff on the side of the road and I invision it made into a tort enclosure. I see cactus growing and I want to break a piece off, I am a chicken so I don't. I invision tort pens all over my yard. I am awful at building things, but it looks great in my head. I think I have lost my mind.

I have grabbed a few pads, lol.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have planted more plants in 2 months then I have ever planted in my life....no lie. I do not have a green thumb..but you know what, my plants are doing pretty good and so are my Torts. Just bought two Salvia plants..now I looked at their enclosure this morning and said, hmm.. I think 10 more cinder blocks and I can enlarge this thing. LOL....:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Isn't just plants. I also look critically at bookcases, other's back yards, the quality of fencing, and on and on, all based on the value for tortoises... I have lost what few marbles I had, apparently.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You guys crack me up! I don't have a tortoise yet & I eye things around the yard, Home Depot & my kids book shelves!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Oh, definitely. I do that everywhere I go. I look at plants - and if possible, I feel them between my thumb and forefinger, too - to assess whether they would be tasty for my tortoises to eat or not. I have found myself looking at roadside weeds and thinking, "Delicious!" And of course, the nice thing about having greens in the house for tortoises is, it encourages you to eat better yourself. :)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
lol! I do this constantly, on my drive to work there are these gorgeous tall white flowers, I want so badly to know if Boulder can eat them. I rarely have the time to stop and take a photo though :(

dalano73 said:
Angi said:

I have grabbed a few pads, lol.

Living in the desert there are a tons of cactus, however when my hubby and I went looking in the washes in our area to break some off for Boulder we hiked forever, then finally had to walk into a new developement and took a fruit from a cactus there, lol! we were baffled, we see them everywhere until we start looking!

Schlomo

5 Year Member
My neighbor does not take care of their front yard so they have a lot of nice weeds growing. They used to be an eyesore. Now, they look great and I found myself over there yesterday pulling out some for my torts.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
I ran across the street with a plastic bag to mooch weeds off my neighbor! He and his wife have met my torts and love them too... he was glad to give me the weeds from his flower bed. Then invited me to stay for an ice cold Corona!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
FranklinAndTara said:
I ran across the street with a plastic bag to mooch weeds off my neighbor! He and his wife have met my torts and love them too... he was glad to give me the weeds from his flower bed. Then invited me to stay for an ice cold Corona!

My neighbors bring me the greens from their vegetable garden, and my torties love it. :)

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
GeoTerraTestudo said:
FranklinAndTara said:

My neighbors bring me the greens from their vegetable garden, and my torties love it. :)

I got out of the car that night and immediately yelled " Todd!!! Can I have your weeds!?!?!?!?"
he looked at me like "huh?"
Nice! I brought my torts over ... their best affort at entertaining us was going to sleep. It was hilarious... we were talking about the torts and each tort found a corner and stuck their head in it and slept. They couldnt be bothered by us humans!

Status
Not open for further replies.