stones vs tort :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Hi. I just added some stones well flat stone and piled them where he has to climb.up them so he can sit and.bask on top. The thing.is instead of walking back down the one side he looks over and thing hmm I can jump from here lol so I see his head leaning over the ledge and I think to myself don't u dare rofl :D and he does it.
Is there any way to stop it or should I worry? I don't want him to get hurt. Its like watching ur baby and always wanting to help lol...
Or should I just keep an eye since they are new to him he might get used to where to go down? He does love that they are added as he loves to climb

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
(I think SportyChick may be referring to a young Russian tortoise)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I just wouldn't put anything in there were he can fall and harm his shell. Mine always free falls of his log and will climb ANYTHING and everything. They are such daredevils!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He'll probably fall off... several times. He'll probably tip over... several times.

Makes sure there's stuff scattered around that he can use to tip himself back the right ay and let him learn that it's not a great idea.

Make sure the water bowl isn't available as a diving pool, you don't want him to drown as a result.

Make sure you flatten it down a bit when you're out for more than hour, so he can't get into trouble so easily when you're not there to tip him back the right way. :D

sportychick

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
I just wouldn't put anything in there were he can fall and harm his shell. Mine always free falls of his log and will climb ANYTHING and everything. They are such daredevils!

So I should take them out?
And yes emysemy my tort I about 1-2 years old :D
I have been told and read that I should have some stones for him to climb across and on so he isn't bored and it is good exercise also..

JoesMum said:
He'll probably fall off... several times. He'll probably tip over... several times.

Makes sure there's stuff scattered around that he can use to tip himself back the right ay and let him learn that it's not a great idea.

Make sure the water bowl isn't available as a diving pool, you don't want him to drown as a result.

Make sure you flatten it down a bit when you're out for more than hour, so he can't get into trouble so easily when you're not there to tip him back the right way. :D

Thanks hun :) no the water dish is on other side.
First time he went face first into the substrate :) next he went off rolled onto back right over to belly again lol.
He also tries to climb edge instead.of path up..
Hope he will learn fast :D
Can he hurt himself if he falls on shell?? That's what worries me most... its not high and he falls onto substate

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My Russian always goes face first! It doesn't phase him at all.
I do not see a need to remove the rocks. I only removed mine because my Russian currently has she'll rot :( and he has chipped away a few pieces around the infected area.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol....I have an adult CDT who I have dubbed the face plant king.....it makes me crazy and I believe he finds me amusing when he would see me coming he would walk to the edge/hide entrance ledge (which is about 2the feet above grade and would simply go as close to the ledge edge and kinda move his leg and so when I begin to rush he would wait til I got to his gate and I am telling him don't you dare and would fumble to unlock the lock and lift the gate handle and that bugger would step off...gravity would yank him down and he would face plant and slide down the hill....so I learned there was no way to beat him so stopped trying...after I stopped trying he seemed to not do it so much....lol...poor thing, I believe I deflated his amusement by not fumbling and freaking out....lol

I would say that you can make his raised basking spot more of a mound instead of a one way in/out type journey...they rarely do reverse...they see ahead and show little regard to obstacles...so perhaps build it so all around is down???:p

sportychick

5 Year Member
What about if he gets a little scratch on his belly? Like when u scratch ur arm and there's little mark. Will that be OK? Since I have moved his water to add stones he seems tempted to try his water I always catch him with front feet in then he backs out. Also he now realized that from standing on the lowest stone he can climb over his hide so its a huge game today... its also fun to watch all these face plants. So far so good no roll overs :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe's shell is has become well-sanded over the years. It's impossible to keep it hatchling-perfect... there will be scratches and possibly the odd small chip, but they do no harm and, to my mind, show a tortoise that's been allowed to live a natural life.

sportychick

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Joe's shell is has become well-sanded over the years. It's impossible to keep it hatchling-perfect... there will be scratches and possibly the odd small chip, but they do no harm and, to my mind, show a tortoise that's been allowed to live a natural life.

Good to know :) thanks was just worrying he was going to get hurt badly... .he loves to climb and loves to bask on the top stone under his light... :D I noticed much more active with stones to climb and bask on.
He sleeps but only 30 minutes to an hour then.back at it again.
Yay I seen him fully in the water for a minute lol do not know if it was intended or not tho :p

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Most tortoises seem to love climbing. Unfortunately, they only engage reverse or turn a corner if they really have to... and that can be after an hour of trying to force the issue by going forwards through a gap that is patently too small. As a result their descent from high places can be more of a suicide leap!

These Pancake Tortoises on YouTube are fun to watch (and have learned to flip back):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Wk0jwnkT8&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSCJbiycQvE&feature=channel&list=UL

sportychick

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Most tortoises seem to love climbing. Unfortunately, they only engage reverse or turn a corner if they really have to... and that can be after an hour of trying to force the issue by going forwards through a gap that is patently too small. As a result their descent from high places can be more of a suicide leap!

These Pancake Tortoises on YouTube are fun to watch (and have learned to flip back):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Wk0jwnkT8&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSCJbiycQvE&feature=channel&list=UL

:D awe now that's a great video! :D
So far its good he doesn't get stuck or try something for to long.
Let's hope he's figured it out for the most part. I have added a stone on other side to go down that's where he can get climbing onto the hide lol.. now he's napping with his head in his cuddlebone

Status
Not open for further replies.