Tortoise Sanctuary in Florida?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
I don't have an HOA. But still got warned about keeping up my hurricane shutters on too long by local code enforcement after someone dropped a dime on me.
Most of the homes in my area had shutters on. A storm had just passed and it was the middle of hurricane season.
I got the accordian shutters. It takes Rose less than 10 minutes to button up the house. I would have went with the steel panel type but didn't want to depend on paying someone to put up and take down.

poolej1

Florida
Personally, I have not found an honest to goodness tortoise sanctuary. And I've looked! Once to try to find an un loved Redfoot tortoise. And again to search for an option for my wife to use in the event of my death for my own tortoises.
I found a few such "sanctuaries". One was even a member of this forum. What I found was a few hoarders or worse! People selling these animals and even breeding them just for profit in horrible living conditions.
Use due caution.
Relax and find the right person that has the best intentions. Someone that will keep and love your tortoise like you do now.
Sanctuaries....
At least here in south Florida.....are a sham.
I would love, LOVE to be proven wrong!
That is the same vibe I was getting as well just searching and browsing

poolej1

Florida
Have you done your due diligence to ensure your HOA board isn't just blowing smoke to come to this decision? I only ask because I'm a licensed Community Association Manager and have done this (stupid) line of work for over 15 years and (VERY) typically a board will proceed with threatening actions without ensuring it's something they can legally do.

Additionally, I have heard good things about Turtle Rescue, USA in Tampa.
2x good advice. Thank you!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
2x good advice. Thank you!
I hope you get to keep your tortoise right where you live. They are such an enrichment to people's lives. The children in the neighborhood can see first hand and that makes a difference in the way they think about wildlife. I'm sending up ?

JackieBlue

Valrico
I got the accordian shutters. It takes Rose less than 10 minutes to button up the house. I would have went with the steel panel type but didn't want to depend on paying someone to put up and take down.
Did you get the vertical or horizontal ones? I have people ask me all the time about shutters - and I know nothing about them, I’ve only been here 5 years and I’m far enough inland not to need them (as Irma demonstrated to me ?)

Obbie

Minnesota
Hello fellow tortoise owners. I wanted to see if there were any trustworthy Florida sanctuaries for a sulcata, or any trustworthy sulcata owners looking for a new friend.

3 years ago I found Squirt, a hatchling sulcata walking across the road. I thought she was a large beetle she was so small! There were 2 "wild" sulcata roaming around our neighborhood for 2-3 years that must have been released pets years ago, and must have mated. The FWC came and removed the 2 adult tortoises, and I found Squirt running across the road a day later. The neighbors tried to say they were an invasive species...

We have raised her since then, becoming obsessive tortoise parents with a diet probably healthier than my own, perfect amount of light, soaking, etc. She is now 10" at only 3 years old and full of energy. My terrible neighbors however have filed a complaint with the homeowners, because Squirt spends most of her time on our patio, and they have given us 90 days to either move, or no longer have squirt. Apparently there is a rule against "exotic animals living on your patio or backyard".

We are crushed, so not just looking to "send her off" to anyone, but really looking for the best place for her, and willing to drive any distance for her!

I found some options on google but wanted to pros opinions. Thank you
You fight that !! I’ve never heard of such a thing !!!!

LaRue13

Chesapeake Va
There is a guy on Instagram. He goes by @readyreptiles. Javier is his name I think. He may take your sully and give a great home I think. I found one here in Virginia and took her to him. He is a great caretaker. Give him a try. Best of luck!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Did you get the vertical or horizontal ones? I have people ask me all the time about shutters - and I know nothing about them, I’ve only been here 5 years and I’m far enough inland not to need them (as Irma demonstrated to me ?)
We got the vertical ones. The pull down where more expensive. We have the roll down one for the french doors to the patio. There is a crank mechanism inside so we can lower and raise from the inside. 20210505_195326.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL

I feel totally qualified to reply to this thread !!! LOL !

I lived with a HOA about 25 yrs ago.
I had rabbits in cages living on my patio. A letter came saying that I couldn't keep animals on the
patio/property. Looking into the HOA books & there was 2 of them - said that I could not have "livestock"
I made the appointment with the head of the HOA & explained to him that they were not "livestock"
they were pets, with names, that were loved. Not cattle, goats, or pigs for use as livestock.
And of course I presented him with the book, with the rule mentioned highlighted, so there would be
no variation of wording from him. He backed down & said he agreed. I never got another letter & that
was the end of that.
If your tortoise was found by you, & is a type of animal that is still sold in local pet stores, how can it be
something you shouldn't have. It is not an animal you need a permit for. Read the rules of the HOA.
Hope you can call BS on this. The neighbors & those subtle people who pretend they are just out for a stroll
walking their dogs are jerks. Do your homework & Tell them in a polite & official way they can stuff it !

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello fellow tortoise owners. I wanted to see if there were any trustworthy Florida sanctuaries for a sulcata, or any trustworthy sulcata owners looking for a new friend.

3 years ago I found Squirt, a hatchling sulcata walking across the road. I thought she was a large beetle she was so small! There were 2 "wild" sulcata roaming around our neighborhood for 2-3 years that must have been released pets years ago, and must have mated. The FWC came and removed the 2 adult tortoises, and I found Squirt running across the road a day later. The neighbors tried to say they were an invasive species...

We have raised her since then, becoming obsessive tortoise parents with a diet probably healthier than my own, perfect amount of light, soaking, etc. She is now 10" at only 3 years old and full of energy. My terrible neighbors however have filed a complaint with the homeowners, because Squirt spends most of her time on our patio, and they have given us 90 days to either move, or no longer have squirt. Apparently there is a rule against "exotic animals living on your patio or backyard".

We are crushed, so not just looking to "send her off" to anyone, but really looking for the best place for her, and willing to drive any distance for her!

Sorry we took over your thread talking about other topics. Usually we are better at not doing that.
My offer still stands. I know in reality if I temporarily homed Squirt. She would never leave unless you wanted her back. Opo would just have to give up some of his property. ?

poolej1

Florida
Sorry we took over your thread talking about other topics. Usually we are better at not doing that.
My offer still stands. I know in reality if I temporarily homed Squirt. She would never leave unless you wanted her back. Opo would just have to give up some of his property. ?
No worries! I love how active the community here is :)

MaXxX

PuntaGorda FL

I feel your pain...I live outside my city limits of PuntaGorda FL. The county left us alone for a very long time but now we have snow-vultures and tourist-terrorists evading our tiny town in droves. My property is Wildlife Habitat Sanctioned. But the nasty neighbors turned me in for my all natural wildlife habitat. ( We live in a crackhead hood but the arrogant moneywhores are more concerned about their prefab tin homes marketvalue)
The county has put a $4K lien on my property cuz they don't like it. I have a 4ft long honeybee hive on my home. Also have squirrels birds snakes frogs lizards fish and a mexican redkneed tarantula named Malesifant
Also just got 4 hatching Ieopard torts today so cute. I refuse to bow down to moneywhore county new off the cuff rules and moneywhore policies.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I feel your pain...I live outside my city limits of PuntaGorda FL. The county left us alone for a very long time but now we have snow-vultures and tourist-terrorists evading our tiny town in droves. My property is Wildlife Habitat Sanctioned. But the nasty neighbors turned me in for my all natural wildlife habitat. ( We live in a crackhead hood but the arrogant moneywhores are more concerned about their prefab tin homes marketvalue)
The county has put a $4K lien on my property cuz they don't like it. I have a 4ft long honeybee hive on my home. Also have squirrels birds snakes frogs lizards fish and a mexican redkneed tarantula named Malesifant
Also just got 4 hatching Ieopard torts today so cute. I refuse to bow down to moneywhore county new off the cuff rules and moneywhore policies.
Great you are standing up for your rights.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's my current situation

Cocorene'

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buckeye, Arizona
I entered with an open mind and finished completel

If you do end up rehoming -- and I truly hope you don't -- Camp Kenan is in Florida. May be a possibility.

jwr0201

Sarasota, FL
Try this - take Squirt to your vet and get the vet to write a note that Squirt is an 'Emotional Support Animal'. Worth a try. If your vet won't do it, call another. That WILL hold up in Florida.
Certainly worth a try. Also, look into whether you are grandfathered in since you've had Squirt for more than 5 years without any complaints. That's how we have two (small) dogs when our operating docs say only one dog. Talk to an attorney. HOA's hate the thought of spending $$$ if they might not prevail!