Tortoise Sanctuary in Florida?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
I hate HOA's, my dad lived in one here in Florida. I was changing the brakes on my truck. Somebody stopped and told me no major repairs on a vehicle. I was hot and sweaty and not in the best mood. I stood up and yelled at him. If you think this is a major repair. Wait till I change the transmission!?????
They hurried back to their car and a few days later my dad got a violation in the mail.
I would love to take your sully but in my condition I have learned 1 is enough. But I also have a temporary fenced in area that I used for Opo when he was small. If @ZEROPILOT cant help you. You can PM me your number.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hate HOA's, my dad lived in one here in Florida. I was changing the brakes on my truck. Somebody stopped and told me no major repairs on a vehicle. I was hot and sweaty and not in the best mood. I stood up and yelled at him. If you think this is a major repair. Wait till I change the transmission!?????
They hurried back to their car and a few days later my dad got a violation in the mail.
I would love to take your sully but in my condition I have learned 1 is enough. But I also have a temporary fenced in area that I used for Opo when he was small. If @ZEROPILOT cant help you. You can PM me your number.
That is total BS! I hope your dad fought it. Once the wheel is off you don't even need tools to do a brake pad change. Takes 5 minutes!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Those associations have control of everything that goes on outside your walls. Some are worse then others. Can't have fencing, must get house color approved, some even roof color. Plants and yard must be tip top. They are ridiculous. I know 3 people that live in different ones, 3 different states and they all are ridiculous in their own way. No thank you!
What a stressful existence!

I just hope a good home can be found for this sully to put his poor families mind at rest.

JackieBlue

Valrico
Hello fellow tortoise owners. I wanted to see if there were any trustworthy Florida sanctuaries for a sulcata, or any trustworthy sulcata owners looking for a new friend.

3 years ago I found Squirt, a hatchling sulcata walking across the road. I thought she was a large beetle she was so small! There were 2 "wild" sulcata roaming around our neighborhood for 2-3 years that must have been released pets years ago, and must have mated. The FWC came and removed the 2 adult tortoises, and I found Squirt running across the road a day later. The neighbors tried to say they were an invasive species...

We have raised her since then, becoming obsessive tortoise parents with a diet probably healthier than my own, perfect amount of light, soaking, etc. She is now 10" at only 3 years old and full of energy. My terrible neighbors however have filed a complaint with the homeowners, because Squirt spends most of her time on our patio, and they have given us 90 days to either move, or no longer have squirt. Apparently there is a rule against "exotic animals living on your patio or backyard".

We are crushed, so not just looking to "send her off" to anyone, but really looking for the best place for her, and willing to drive any distance for her!

I found some options on google but wanted to pros opinions. Thank you
Have you done your due diligence to ensure your HOA board isn't just blowing smoke to come to this decision? I only ask because I'm a licensed Community Association Manager and have done this (stupid) line of work for over 15 years and (VERY) typically a board will proceed with threatening actions without ensuring it's something they can legally do.

Additionally, I have heard good things about Turtle Rescue, USA in Tampa.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Personally, I have not found an honest to goodness tortoise sanctuary. And I've looked! Once to try to find an un loved Redfoot tortoise. And again to search for an option for my wife to use in the event of my death for my own tortoises.
I found a few such "sanctuaries". One was even a member of this forum. What I found was a few hoarders or worse! People selling these animals and even breeding them just for profit in horrible living conditions.
Use due caution.
Relax and find the right person that has the best intentions. Someone that will keep and love your tortoise like you do now.
Sanctuaries....
At least here in south Florida.....are a sham.
I would love, LOVE to be proven wrong!
You won't be. Gophers are a perfect example of what happens to torts in Florida. If they have a URI.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't have an HOA. But still got warned about keeping up my hurricane shutters on too long by local code enforcement after someone dropped a dime on me.
Most of the homes in my area had shutters on. A storm had just passed and it was the middle of hurricane season.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Honestly I would probably move. No HOA here - was one of the very few things that was non-negotiable when we bought the house. I'm not sure I will ever choose to live inside city/municipality limits either, given the way things are going now.

That being said, as stated above, make sure they rules actually say what they claim. My parents live in a HOA and I recall a couple instances where they would bother people over something where they likely had no legal leg to stand on. For example, thinking they could force changes by passing a rule and not accepting or understanding that situations pre-existing the rule are "grandfathered in".

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Personally, I have not found an honest to goodness tortoise sanctuary. And I've looked! Once to try to find an un loved Redfoot tortoise. And again to search for an option for my wife to use in the event of my death for my own tortoises.
I found a few such "sanctuaries". One was even a member of this forum. What I found was a few hoarders or worse! People selling these animals and even breeding them just for profit in horrible living conditions.
Use due caution.
Relax and find the right person that has the best intentions. Someone that will keep and love your tortoise like you do now.
Sanctuaries....
At least here in south Florida.....are a sham.
I would love, LOVE to be proven wrong!

Unfortunately this has been my observation as well. There are some legit rescue operations out there but the "sanctuary" angle is a big red flag to me. A legit rescue should both take in and adopt out animals, and charge no more than a nominal adoption fee (if any).

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Be careful of groups such as tortoise rehoming. There are people saying they will rehome the tort only to sell them. There might be legit folks who want to rehome Squirt, just being cautious.
I agree, some people suck.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello fellow tortoise owners. I wanted to see if there were any trustworthy Florida sanctuaries for a sulcata, or any trustworthy sulcata owners looking for a new friend.

3 years ago I found Squirt, a hatchling sulcata walking across the road. I thought she was a large beetle she was so small! There were 2 "wild" sulcata roaming around our neighborhood for 2-3 years that must have been released pets years ago, and must have mated. The FWC came and removed the 2 adult tortoises, and I found Squirt running across the road a day later. The neighbors tried to say they were an invasive species...

We have raised her since then, becoming obsessive tortoise parents with a diet probably healthier than my own, perfect amount of light, soaking, etc. She is now 10" at only 3 years old and full of energy. My terrible neighbors however have filed a complaint with the homeowners, because Squirt spends most of her time on our patio, and they have given us 90 days to either move, or no longer have squirt. Apparently there is a rule against "exotic animals living on your patio or backyard".

We are crushed, so not just looking to "send her off" to anyone, but really looking for the best place for her, and willing to drive any distance for her!

WTH...they are relatively invasive in Florida, but somebody rolled over on you simply because you had a tort on your patio? Is it not fenced in? There are Sulcata keepers in FL, hang in you'll get help.

Maitri06

Palmetto

You may want to connect with a facebook group called Tortoise keepers of Florida. I live in FL and find this large group interesting.

zolasmum

5 Year Member

Your story is really upsetting - I live in the UK, so obviously can't help,(I wish I could) but also can't stop thinking about it. It won't be very many years before Squirt would be too big for your patio anyway, and you would have to move to find a place with enough space for her - so would it be possible to do it sooner rather than later, and find another area now, where you can give her a happy life with you, and lots of room ?
Angie

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
OMG, such a horrible, situation. Someone fussing over a Tort in a neighbors yard is JUST WRONG.
I live in a Rural part of Contra Costa County. Mostly older homes, so typicaly NO HOA's, but still have folks moving here from the "City" to Rural, and they want the new neighborhood to conform to their demands. Many folks have chickens, some....other farm animals. Even Roosters. Many folks move here to hear the rural aspect of the area, BUT some are just plain Jerks (I wanna Use MUCH stronger words), but you get the idea. BTW I have a small farm, been here for 30 years, All neighbors have moved here after me, so, hoping that they have become accustomed to my lil Farm. 9 Parrots ?(5 Toos), Chickens ?(1 Rooster) Ducks, Geese ?& 2 Torts :tort:(the quiet ones of the family).
BTW...after saying this,,,I knock on wood.
And, with a lil Farm?, a lil good will goes a long way. Fresh egg's ?to neighbors, Fresh organic veggies?, to neighbors, and a lot of kindness to spread around.

CarolineD

Flagstaff, AZ
If my neighbors reported me and did to me what they did to y’all ( I live in the country so no neighbors) I would make their life hell. I’m talking saws, loud music, barking dogs, gangster rap the whole 9 yards! I know it sounds petty but make them regret it! Do it for squirt. People suck!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
If my neighbors reported me and did to me what they did to y’all ( I live in the country so no neighbors) I would make their life hell. I’m talking saws, loud music, barking dogs, gangster rap the whole 9 yards! I know it sounds petty but make them regret it! Do it for squirt. People suck!
Caroline, Many a time, I'd rather associate with animals, rather than Humans. NO ulterior motives.

Tenman

Argyle

I would love to have her. I live in Texas, however. We back up to the 18th fairway. Golfers always stop by and ask about them.

Attachments

• Lee.jpg
    Lee.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23

LARRY5469

Georgia

We have a Male Sulcata here in Harlem Georgia that could use a friend. We have had him for several years and are in the process of building a larger, more Tortoise Friendly enclosure for him. It will look like an old fort and have a shower that he can control by stepping on a pad that turns it on and goes into a shallow pond that he can drink out of or just relax in. Would be happy to give your tortoise a long lasting home. He is about 60 pounds in this pic from a couple of years ago. Sorry I don't have any current ones. www.featheredfriendsforever.org to check us out.

Attachments

• Mr.T.jpg
    Mr.T.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 14