Water temp Q's....?

graciemay98

Location (City and/or State)
OH
Hey everyone! I'm super new to this forum & super new to the tortoise world as well.
I just got a baby Sulcata turtle a couple weeks ago (he's super cute, i'll attach a photo!) Anyway, I keep a low watt heat pad underneath his habitat, located right under his water dish to keep his water warm, but it evaporates SO fast, i have to fill it up sometimes close to 2 times a day!
So i was wondering if cooler/room temp water is okay for them?? (It just seemed so cold to the touch without the heat pad, hence why i started using one).

Other than that, everything is going perfect for the little guy! :):tort:

Thank you!!! ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 49

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hi there and welcome to the Forum! That's a very cute baby sulcata you have. They are an awesome species.

For my babies (I have Greeks and Russians), I keep a terra cota saucer in their enclosures for water. It's shallow and big enough they can climb into. I give them fresh water each morning and it just sits for the rest of that day. So you don't need to worry too much about the temperature of it.

I do soak all my babies every morning in warm water for 30 minutes (which requires changing the water every 5-7 minutes to keep it warm). That actually stimulates them to go to the bathroom which is less mess in their enclosures.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You don't need that, unnecessary. Are you using a heat source? If your temperatures in your enclosure are good the temperature of the water in the dish should be about the same.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
If you have the proper enclosure temps(never falling below 80 degrees day or night in the coldest part of the enclosure with a 95-100 degree basking spot), the water temperature doesn’t matter.

Heat mats should not be used with tortoises. Since tortoises do not have heat receptors in their plastron, and they’ve evolved to absorb heat from above, they can easily be burnt.

What other methods of heating are you using?

Can we see a picture of your enclosure?
Be sure to give these a read, and come back with questions.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

graciemay98

OH
I soak my Tort in warm water almost daily & his temps from his heat source are perfect (hot spot 95-105 and cool spot 80-85). I keep his water bowl on the cooler side of the tank.. I went to go feel the water one day and it felt cool to me! I didn't wanna shock my baby with the temp (i wasn't sure that is a real issue) so i put a heat pad directly under the water & only under the water (i promise the heat pad can't
burn my little guy). I'm just super paranoid of his wellbeing and want the best for him!!

Thank you for all the replies so quickly!! :<3: I'm going to remove the heat pad if you guys feel like it's unnecessary! (and i'll post further updates and temps after i remove it)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I soak my Tort in warm water almost daily & his temps from his heat source are perfect (hot spot 95-105 and cool spot 80-85). I keep his water bowl on the cooler side of the tank.. I went to go feel the water one day and it felt cool to me! I didn't wanna shock my baby with the temp (i wasn't sure that is a real issue) so i put a heat pad directly under the water & only under the water (i promise the heat pad can't
burn my little guy). I'm just super paranoid of his wellbeing and want the best for him!!

Thank you for all the replies so quickly!! :<3: I'm going to remove the heat pad if you guys feel like it's unnecessary! (and i'll post further updates and temps after i remove it)

Just remember for Sulcatas, there really isnt a “cool spot”. Overall ambient of entire enclosure should be on the 80F side, with other hotter areas, basking area etc.

What kind of heat source are using to create ambient for day and night.

Just make sure that you are using an accurate (at tort level) temperature gauge. We have seen wildly fluctuating temps when the round pet shop procured gauges are used.

On soaking, you do want to soak daily for a good 20-30 mins in clean, warm water.

Good luck.

graciemay98

OH
Just remember for Sulcatas, there really isnt a “cool spot”. Overall ambient of entire enclosure should be on the 80F side, with other hotter areas, basking area etc.

What kind of heat source are using to create ambient for day and night.

Just make sure that you are using an accurate (at tort level) temperature gauge. We have seen wildly fluctuating temps when the round pet shop procured gauges are used.

On soaking, you do want to soak daily for a good 20-30 mins in clean, warm water.

Good luck.
I use a heat emitter and a uvb/uva strip light! I keep the heat emitter on 24/7 and then the uvb light off at nighttime. My enclosure is open.. so i'm trying to figure out a way to make a top for it so my heat will stay in better to keep the water naturally a little warmer & to have better humidity in my habitat. (also i use a heat gun & am buying a humidity gauge today along with moss to spray)

Thank you so much for all the replies I really appreciate it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

For baby sulcatas, you don't want a hot side/cool side. The overall temperature in the enclosure should be 80-85F degrees. In order to attain this, and keep the warm, humid air inside the enclosure and keep the cool house air out, you'll need to cover the enclosure.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey everyone! I'm super new to this forum & super new to the tortoise world as well.
I just got a baby Sulcata turtle a couple weeks ago (he's super cute, i'll attach a photo!) Anyway, I keep a low watt heat pad underneath his habitat, located right under his water dish to keep his water warm, but it evaporates SO fast, i have to fill it up sometimes close to 2 times a day!
So i was wondering if cooler/room temp water is okay for them?? (It just seemed so cold to the touch without the heat pad, hence why i started using one).

Thank you!!! ❤️
That baby has a smile on his face. So cute.

Changa

Ca
0C66D21F-EFE9-4BF8-8C58-3FA9CCF53D80.jpeg 21644B4B-ABCE-4127-8756-8FB4DC6D5359.jpeg

Thank you!!! ❤️
my Donna and here is Dorey
I too newly adopted my lit girls
This forum will help a lot

Changa

Ca

Thank you!!! ❤️

Changa

Ca
Graciemay500
I am still learning love the forum I have 1-warmer enclosure
2-soaking daily
Which I have pick up on this forum this why my Dorey and Donna are so much better. Thank u

drew54

Indiana

Put it on the hot side close to the lamp but not under it. That should keep it around 95. IMG_0948.jpg
Maybe that will help

graciemay98

OH
Hey guys! i took your advice on the water bowl situation. I changed the plastic rectangle to another one of those clay pot things & moved it more towards the Heat source to naturally keep the water a little less cold.

Now i bought a Opuntia cactus today from Home Depot for feeding- is this safe? Some say Home Depot uses chemicals... some say they don't anymore. Help! It was kind of expensive!
IMG_1946.JPG