Dirty Water Dish

Seth Tyler

Hey guys,

looking for possible solutions as to how to keep my sully's water dish clean. I use coco coir bedding and it sticks to him as he crawls into his water dish to soak/drink from. I come home from work everyday to see all the water in his dish is gone. Instead it's full of mucky coco coir that I need to clean out and refill. It's getting old fast. he never used to do this, now as he has grown it becomes a once or twice a day type of thing. The dish is very low and it's getting smaller for him these days as is. I am looking for any suggestions as to tips to keep the bedding out, or a new dish in general that will help him from tracking bedding in moving forward. Let me know with links if possible! Thanks!

-Seth

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My adult male leopards do the same thing. Doesn't bother me. However, if it bothers you, try patting the coir down firmly and place some flat rocks around the dish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why I don't use coir for sulcatas. FIne grade orchid bark works much better. Some will still be tracked in there, but I usually dump the whole thing into the substrate to maintain dampness.

I also upgrade my saucers to continuously larger sizes as they grow.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Don't you just hate that?! For the indoor enclosures moss has worked best for me. All the other stuff just gets tracked into the dish. I want to be able to change the water just once a day and not worry that there is a "dirty soup" in there an hour after I do it:)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486052513.312208.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486052559.887299.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486052702.404943.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486052813.436664.jpg. Because no matter what you do, your Dirty Monster will mess the pristine water dish anyway by bathing in it or using it as the toilet. Lucky for me, my babies seem to always pee buckets and poo up a storm in their daily bath:) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486052559.887299.jpg this is my Shellie (monster! Hahaha!)

yillt

Don't you just hate that?! For the indoor enclosures moss has worked best for me. All the other stuff just gets tracked into the dish. I want to be able to change the water just once a day and not worry that there is a "dirty soup" in there an hour after I do it:)View attachment 198822View attachment 198823View attachment 198824View attachment 198825. Because no matter what you do, your Dirty Monster will mess the pristine water dish anyway by bathing in it or using it as the toilet. Lucky for me, my babies seem to always pee buckets and poo up a storm in their daily bath:) View attachment 198823 this is my Shellie (monster! Hahaha!)
Wow. You have a lovely enclosure. I just use rocks around the dish or orchid bark. It does get frustrating but usually I don't clean the water every day anyway as I have three water dishes in Billy's enclosure and he drinks rarely anyway. He doesn't seem to mind a bit of dirt in there but If I feel like it's to dirty then I would definitely clean it out.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't you just hate that?! For the indoor enclosures moss has worked best for me. All the other stuff just gets tracked into the dish. I want to be able to change the water just once a day and not worry that there is a "dirty soup" in there an hour after I do it:)View attachment 198822View attachment 198823View attachment 198824View attachment 198825. Because no matter what you do, your Dirty Monster will mess the pristine water dish anyway by bathing in it or using it as the toilet. Lucky for me, my babies seem to always pee buckets and poo up a storm in their daily bath:) View attachment 198823 this is my Shellie (monster! Hahaha!)
Lovely! GOD bless.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Wow. You have a lovely enclosure. I just use rocks around the dish or orchid bark. It does get frustrating but usually I don't clean the water every day anyway as I have three water dishes in Billy's enclosure and he drinks rarely anyway. He doesn't seem to mind a bit of dirt in there but If I feel like it's to dirty then I would definitely clean it out.
Lovely! GOD bless.
@Pearly

Wow, what beautiful torts in a natural , wonderful enclosure !
Thank you for the lovely compliments

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
make sure its wet throughout. usually if it sticks to canolis feet only the top is moist. mix up substrate, wet and pack down and another mist will help.