Water dish

YellowSully

I have a Sully hatchling I got Friday. He seems to be camping out on his water dish, not using his hide much. Is this ok, normal?

Killerrookie

I have a Sully hatchling I got Friday. He seems to be camping out on his water dish, not using his hide much. Is this ok, normal?
May I see what kind of water bowl you have? My Sully most of the time sleeps in the corner. He never really goes in his hide much. Is he sleeping in the water bowl?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Not really. Can you provide more info on how you are keeping him. Pictures of the enclosure are helpful. What are your temps, basking area, warm side, cool side and night low? What is the humidity? What light and equipment are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not normal. Jodie asked all the right questions.

Also, where did you get the tortoise and what methods were used to start it?

YellowSully

Not really. Can you provide more info on how you are keeping him. Pictures of the enclosure are helpful. What are your temps, basking area, warm side, cool side and night low? What is the humidity? What light and equipment are you using?
The "water bowl" right now is a lid to a Chinese food container it takes up the width of the cage he is in a 10gal glass aquarium (pet sore told me would be best for his size)the substrate is paper towels and the temp is 80f he has a 65w red heat bulb.

YellowSully

He seems healthy I had him out in the yard today grazing and getting vit D

YellowSully

How do I add pics on a thread sorry, I have a yellow foot but sullies are new to me. My yellow foot is 8 I have had since a hatchling so big gap I have forgotten all this stuff lol

Killerrookie

The "water bowl" right now is a lid to a Chinese food container it takes up the width of the cage he is in a 10gal glass aquarium (pet sore told me would be best for his size)the substrate is paper towels and the temp is 80f he has a 65w red heat bulb.
Is there no UVB bulb in there? That 10 gallon tank has to go. There is no room for your Sully to escape the heat to cool off. I recommend getting a way bigger tank as a temporary setup and then build a bigger one by 4x4. This is the best thing to is for UVB which he needs. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433888332.802274.jpg
I would et rid of the paper towels and put coco coir or Eco Earth to keep humidity in and to keep from pyramiding.

Get rid of the red light. They can see it and can stress them out when trying to sleep.
There is more info in the Threads on how to care for one. I recommend checking out Toms care sheet for sullies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see the problem. You are yet another victim of terrible pet store advice. Please read these and make the necessary changes ASAP. Babies have a small margin of error and there is no time to waste.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

That tank is WAYYYYY too small, and colored bulbs are no good to use as a heat/light source. They probably sold you the wrong food, wrong substrate and wrong water bowl too.

Glad you found us early!

YellowSully

What do you feed your Sully and do you soak him everyday? What's the humidity at?
I feed him Mazuri chow or try to he won't touch it (I soak it) he has been living grass and clover and yes, he has a uvb. How big of a tank do you recommend

Killerrookie

I feed him Mazuri chow or try to he won't touch it (I soak it) he has been living grass and clover and yes, he has a uvb. How big of a tank do you recommend
The biggest thing they sell really. The first year I kept mine in a 60 gallon and now he lives in a large kiddie pool with a greenhouse cover on top to keep humidity in. What kind of UVB bulb is it? Is it a coil bulb like this? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433890582.690570.jpg
I'm currently building a 6x4 tortoise enclosure for him and I would recommend if you build a tortoise table also maybe a 4x4? The more room the tortoise has the better.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Terra cotta plant pot saucers are the suggested water bowls here. They need to be bigger than the tort so they can get in and soak and sunken into the dirt so they can get in and out easily to avoid flipping. as big a tank as you can afford.