The Holiday Thread

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I remember being a small child (so like 50 years ago) and going to my Grandmother's house for Christmas. I can still see the huge real tree they had set up in the front room and gifts under it, but I really don't remember opening them. All my mother's siblings and their families and my great aunts would come for the meal. There was a huge dining room table, but so many of us that the kids all ate in the kitchen. I remember sleeping under the table with their dog. lol I do remember one gift. It was a metal semi pulling a trailer loaded with plastic farm animals. I loved that set. I believe it's still boxed up somewhere around here.

I don't know if any memory can be so great, as being a child at Christmas and having the good fortune to come from a good family. The decorations, food, gatherings, presents, family, thoughts of Santa coming, watching Christmas movies, etc. As adults I would recapture this if I could!
I guess the good part is that we were able to experience Christma's like the one you mentioned, Jacqui. We are extremely lucky for these good memories.

Prairie Mom

Hello Sarah and everybody:) I'm eager to take some time and read through this whole thread. I am waist deep in Christmas as we speak. We've already celebrated the European holiday St. Nikolaus day and had a great time. Now, we are getting ready to celebrate full-blown Christmas EARLY-this Friday! We have to travel with the kids to our out of state children's hospital right around Christmas time, so we are doing our big celebration way early to allow the kids to enjoy their presents and relax a bit before we sweep them off for some minor torture;) I'm nearly there! I'm heading out to get goodies for Christmas stockings and supplies to send to school Christmas parties. Now, I have a few late nights of wrapping, preparation, and packing, but the kids are nearly ready to have a great and relaxing (early)Christmas. I am feeling very blessed this year! Our medical bills are half of what they were last year, our health is such a relief, and I love my faith and family so dearly.

Merry Early Christmas!!!
small Christmas.jpg

The kids on the morning of St. Nikolaus getting goodies out of their shoes...

small st nik ben and girls.jpg

small st nik coal.jpg

small st nik joseph.jpg

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Beautiful family, and what a great relief when bills are slowly getting smaller. :) Can't wait to start my own family and feel the joy you feel.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Just wanted to share this :) since I obviously love tortoises & turtles. This was a gift I bought for myself, it's my favorite animal & color & I work with primarily autistic individuals, that's what the puzzle pieces represent. Plus 10% of sales goes to Autism Speaks.
View attachment 109881

Pandora?! Gosh I love my Pandora. I looooovee the idea of your charm, too. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Look at all those homemade ornaments above a couple of posts! Love them. Did you make them?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hello Sarah and everybody:) I'm eager to take some time and read through this whole thread. I am waist deep in Christmas as we speak. We've already celebrated the European holiday St. Nikolaus day and had a great time. Now, we are getting ready to celebrate full-blown Christmas EARLY-this Friday! We have to travel with the kids to our out of state children's hospital right around Christmas time, so we are doing our big celebration way early to allow the kids to enjoy their presents and relax a bit before we sweep them off for some minor torture;) I'm nearly there! I'm heading out to get goodies for Christmas stockings and supplies to send to school Christmas parties. Now, I have a few late nights of wrapping, preparation, and packing, but the kids are nearly ready to have a great and relaxing (early)Christmas. I am feeling very blessed this year! Our medical bills are half of what they were last year, our health is such a relief, and I love my faith and family so dearly.

Merry Early Christmas!!!
View attachment 110413

The kids on the morning of St. Nikolaus getting goodies out of their shoes...

View attachment 110415

View attachment 110416

View attachment 110418
Hehe! My mom does that. ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay, folks! Today we started to make cookies.
Two if the doughs (butter/roll out and pinwheel cookies) are refrigerating, and one has been baked (press cookies) :D
I will be providing finished pics of the cookies themselves, and the recipes.
I have to go get pics of the press trees, but I just wanted to let you know :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay, folks! Today we started to make cookies.
Two if the doughs (butter/roll out and pinwheel cookies) are refrigerating, and one has been baked (press cookies) :D
I will be providing finished pics of the cookies themselves, and the recipes.
I have to go get pics of the press trees, but I just wanted to let you know :D
I should say that I ave this really weird phobia of dry things (like flour, dry rocks) and just thinking of (gosh!) of touching something dry and powdery, textureless is really terrible, so I do not actually mix any dough, I usually just bake and 'decorate' :)
Alrighty! Press cookie trees and recipe-
Product-

sss.jpg
(munch munch munch...)
And recipe (sorry, bit blurry!)-

h.jpg
Vanilla, not almond extract, it's better that way...
-I must mention that to make these you've got to have something like this-
images

-(although ours is ANCIENT [seriously, goes back a few mothers] and its screw down, not just a handle)
Pinwheel and roll out cookies refrigerating! :D

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I should say that I ave this really weird phobia of dry things (like flour, dry rocks) and just thinking of (gosh!) of touching something dry and powdery, textureless is really terrible, so I do not actually mix any dough, I usually just bake and 'decorate' :)
Alrighty! Press cookie trees and recipe-
Product-

View attachment 110458
(munch munch munch...)
And recipe (sorry, bit blurry!)-

View attachment 110459
Vanilla, not almond extract, it's better that way...
-I must mention that to make these you've got to have something like this-
images

-(although ours is ANCIENT [seriously, goes back a few mothers] and its screw down, not just a handle)
Pinwheel and roll out cookies refrigerating! :D
You have a tactile issue LOL!! I hate to touch chalk!! I haven't make or baked anything in forever...like deserts. I use to do cupcakes ALL the time & then I just stopped. Maybe I should surprise everyone & do it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You have a tactile issue LOL!! I hate to touch chalk!! I haven't make or baked anything in forever...like deserts. I use to do cupcakes ALL the time & then I just stopped. Maybe I should surprise everyone & do it.
Weird. o_O I never thought to look it up :D Try cookies! :D Press cookies are so easy... expect for the 9 cups of flour... (ghastly!:eek: )
And then you could enjoy the 'fruits of your hardwork', as they say :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Pinwheel cookies! :D
Product-
vv.jpg
-so hallucinogenic ;)
Recipe-
mnnm.jpg
gg.jpg