Happy Thanksgiving--a little early!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
I just wanted to wish ALL a "Happy Thanksgiving". I wanted to offer my Thanks to the "Forum". My son is a Marine[now in Afghanistan] and this is his most favorite holiday. It will be the first he has missed in 24 years. He has been gone 1 month[only 6 1/2 to go]. During the "sadder" times for me---I have been able to loose myself in reading "threads" and enjoying all the pic's and conversations. Soooo--I Thank You, TFO, for helping to make the time "FLY" for me. Prayers For ALL-----Annie[/b][/size][/font]

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
A GIANT Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Son (And all his comrades as well!)!!! It is my favorite holiday too.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I've already got my turkey injected and waiting to be fried.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
1592500w2r21y7h0b.gif

I hope everyone has a safe holiday! Please be careful if you're using a deep fryer.

And, Annie, please tell your son THANK YOU very much for his service to our country!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ditto!!!
THis will be my first as an Orphan.. No mom or dad... BUT I still have my sisters and thats where I will be..
We are going to make it fun, and surround ourselves with friends.. who ARE family!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
The most happiest of Turkey days to all!

Annieski ~ you and your son, indeed, all his soldier family are in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

teri

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
We (my wife, youngest son, daughter, and self) will continue our T-day tradition down at the Food Bank, serving a (more or less) traditional T-day feast...instead of turkey, this year our food bank will be serving emu (and a lot of 'em, too) and wild pork, as this part of Texas has a lot of feral 'mus/hawgs...both're really tasty and there's a lot of meat per bird/hawg, so everyone who attends will be offered left-overs to take home! :)

Most of the rest of the year we mix the meats together into "ground meat"...even in this economy, the less fortunate folks still gotta eat, and the farmers/ranchers don't have as much of the destruction these beasties cause, so a few of us hunters harvest both throughout the year and bring the carcasses to the VP of our food bank, who is a butcher...Win/win/win. :cool:

Then we're back home for another Hall T-day tradition...Golden Corral! :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Terry A Hall.. What an awsome thing to do! I just might look into something like that myself..
I always take a gift tag off the local gift tree to give to a kid or senior for xmas..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Laura said:
Terry A Hall.. What an awsome thing to do! I just might look into something like that myself..

Started out this tradition when my daughter was 8, do to wanting her to have some perspective in her life...later, when my wife and I married, she decided to get in on the fun, and when we adopted the two boys, they wanted in, too. The older son now is married and his wife insists that he go with her to her family's gatherings...

Most folks want to help out on the holidays, so ours has more help on T'giving and Christmas than they really need and are shorthanded the rest of the year...your local food bank may well be the same, so inquire when you can be of the best use to them.

This year, a few local businessmen got creative in how we'll be cooking...one guy on the Food Bank board, a welder by trade, made a huge vat that we can deep-fry 4-5 emus at a time (the local Pizza Hut previously allowed us to use their pizza ovens, but the best we could do was 1-2 'mus (or 3-4 turkeys), so the vat is going to make it a lot easier! And now we can utilize the pizza ovens for the dressing, casseroles, etc.

The hawgs will be cooked at the bar-b-q restaurant, as always.

For a while, we were scratching our heads as to how to best utilize the vat, specifically how to lower the 'mus into the cooking oil...my son, in a stroke of brilliance, solved that problem...a couple of auto repair shops loaned us engine hoists!

Long live red-neck ingenuity! :D

I always take a gift tag off the local gift tree to give to a kid or senior for xmas..

Excellent...it's always a wonderfu thing to let kids and elders know that you care! :)

'Tis the season! :cool:

M

Maggie Cummings

My family and I just finished our Thanksgiving pizza when I saw this thread...please tell your son thank you from me...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here on TFO. This forum is one of the many things I have to be grateful for.
God bless your son, Anniski. And God bless you and your family for all the sacrifices you are making for us. I know what you are going through. Sometimes I miss my son so much I can't take a breath without it hurting. When I lost him there wasn't much I cared about any more. Then my other son suggested I get a tortoise, and that's when I came across TFO. When I first joined I only lurked here, and tried to learn all I could. Gradually I started to live again, and was encouraged to join in.
I hope everyone here had a wonderful day, and thank you for all the kind words, and for teaching me so much.....just be safe and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.