The Holiday Thread

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Awwww...thanks Jacqui, so sweet! Christmas is hard for me since I lost my mom to cancer! She was the Christmas queen & my best friend!!! She decorated everything & even the bathroom would be decorated & there would even be Santa looking at you LOL!! Plus it doesn't feel like that time of year I guess, no snow! But I'm sure I will get a little bit more in the spirit as it gets closer :) I do have my staff Christmas party tonight...maybe that will help :p
:( I'm sorry. My mom is really the one who loves to do Christmas here too. :(
I'll send over our scariest santa head to stalk you? Have lots of cookies at the party, and have FUN. Fun will always get you in the spirit! :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
When my kids were still, well, kids...we usually went to Gramma's house on Christmas Eve and had our own Christmas at our house. Its funny that when my kids got married and had kids of their own, they never once came back home for a holiday, each determined to start their own holiday traditions. So I've gotten used to it. I occasionally accept a holiday dinner invitation, but usually I have my own holidays. (or not)
That actually sounds pretty nice. I would be nice to take a holiday off! :D

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
:( I'm sorry. My mom is really the one who loves to do Christmas here too. :(
I'll send over our scariest santa head to stalk you? Have lots of cookies at the party, and have FUN. Fun will always get you in the spirit! :)
YES you are so right about that!! You made me laugh about the creepy Santa heads as there are so many of those lol!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Awwww...thanks Jacqui, so sweet! Christmas is hard for me since I lost my mom to cancer! She was the Christmas queen & my best friend!!! She decorated everything & even the bathroom would be decorated & there would even be Santa looking at you LOL!! Plus it doesn't feel like that time of year I guess, no snow! But I'm sure I will get a little bit more in the spirit as it gets closer :) I do have my staff Christmas party tonight...maybe that will help :p

I know exactly how you feel. My Mom (and best friend) died over 15 years ago, but I have yet to really feel or get into a real Christmas spirit since. She never went all out with decorating, but did small things. She also gave me holiday items like towels and rugs. She even gave me some beautiful tortoise decorations. She also did every year the Hallmark ones for me and my children. Each child also had some ornament series that was just theirs. Like the Star Wars one for my oldest son, my oldest girl had the horse series. In later years, I hosted Christmas dinners and made sure I had all my holiday stuff out and about. Each Christmas since her death I try to get back that holiday spirit, but even for my children, I just never could really get there. :( Now the holidays are at my children's homes and I feel even less in the spirit.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am having a hard time getting into the spirit this year. My boys no longer live at home. I have 2 step children that will spend Christmas with their mother this year. My youngest son lives with his girlfriend. She is pregnant with my first biological grandchild, and has a 3 year old son. Despite my struggles and dedication to creating traditions for my children, this son is caving to the nontraditional girlfriend and going to Seattle for Christmas. This part of her family is distant enough, they have never even met her son.
I know I have to respect his decisions. He is grown, but it breaks my heart.

Tell me about it. :( I am going to have the pleasure of being home alone for Christmas. Even though I am not really feeling Ho Ho Ho jolly, the thought of being all alone on Christmas breaks my heart. The kids are wanting to spend the day with their g/f or b/f's families and have us do a later Christmas. I feel like I am not really important or atleast those other families are more important. Hard to really describe what I feel beyond the hurt and disappointment. I guess I had four children just for other folks. :(

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Tell me about it. :( I am going to have the pleasure of being home alone for Christmas. Even though I am not really feeling Ho Ho Ho jolly, the thought of being all alone on Christmas breaks my heart. The kids are wanting to spend the day with their g/f or b/f's families and have us do a later Christmas. I feel like I am not really important or atleast those other families are more important. Hard to really describe what I feel beyond the hurt and disappointment. I guess I had four children just for other folks. :(
Oh geeze....I'm so sorry to hear that Jacqui.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I know exactly how you feel. My Mom (and best friend) died over 15 years ago, but I have yet to really feel or get into a real Christmas spirit since. She never went all out with decorating, but did small things. She also gave me holiday items like towels and rugs. She even gave me some beautiful tortoise decorations. She also did every year the Hallmark ones for me and my children. Each child also had some ornament series that was just theirs. Like the Star Wars one for my oldest son, my oldest girl had the horse series. In later years, I hosted Christmas dinners and made sure I had all my holiday stuff out and about. Each Christmas since her death I try to get back that holiday spirit, but even for my children, I just never could really get there. :( Now the holidays are at my children's homes and I feel even less in the spirit.
My mom bought me many tortoise gifts that I will cherish, she had good taste! And when she passed away I couldn't believe the amount of Christmas stuff she truly had...the shed had 24 large totes, her upstairs had stuff everywhere, stuff in the attic, and just odds & ends hanging around the house! Holidays can be hard but I do try my best :) I'm going to put some more decorations up other than the tree tomorrow!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Baloney! All you need to do is remember how many times you go to lunch with them or shopping with them. Your kids give you a lot more of their time than mine do, and my daughter just lives a quarter mile from me. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, and count your blessings. You have great kids.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Baloney! All you need to do is remember how many times you go to lunch with them or shopping with them. Your kids give you a lot more of their time than mine do, and my daughter just lives a quarter mile from me. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, and count your blessings. You have great kids.

I know I have great children and that they do spend time with me, but Christmas is special.

Reactions: pam

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know I have great children and that they do spend time with me, but Christmas is special.

How about if you invite them on the day before or after? Let them spend the actual day with whoever they want to, then have a family holiday on a different day at your house?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about if you invite them on the day before or after? Let them spend the actual day with whoever they want to, then have a family holiday on a different day at your house?

They are doing one on the Sunday after. I am just being upset about it because it means I will be alone for Christmas and that is just not something I really want to do. I know it works for you, but I grew up thinking Christmas was a day to spend with your family. It's a big deal to me and I know you don't understand and I don't know how to explain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I understand completely. It was very hard for me at first after my husband died and the kids moved away. But that was years and years ago. I'm used to it now.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They are doing one on the Sunday after. I am just being upset about it because it means I will be alone for Christmas and that is just not something I really want to do. I know it works for you, but I grew up thinking Christmas was a day to spend with your family. It's a big deal to me and I know you don't understand and I don't know how to explain.
I understand completely. It is sad. I remember feeling torn with boyfriends/husband's family, and my parents were separated, so mom's or dad's? I created traditions though and stuck to them for my children. I am so sorry you're having a tough time? How old are your children?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Look what I got at my Christmas staff party tonight :)image.jpg
But.....I already have these :rolleyes:. So I probably have like 5 sets of salt & pepper shakers (different turtle ones too), that have never been used. I have so much turtle stuff it's ridiculous!! My point being is my mom collected her whole life of Christmas stuff & I have turtle & tortoise stuff :eek:. At least my stuff can be put out all year round ;)!

puffy137

Never mind Jacqui we will all still be around with you:D:D:D:<3::<3::<3: & hugs