The End Of Pyramiding II-The Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Tom said:
WHAT!!!? A vet told you that? I'm shocked, thrilled and elated all at the same time!!! That was the best news I've heard all day. In fact that's the best news I've heard in a long time. Is your vet a TFO member? I want to know where he heard that? Finally its getting around.

Do this guy a favor and post his name, Business Name and contact info, so our other AZ members will know where to take their torts. This guy is golden. If it wasn't 8 hours away, I'd go there. Seriously though, we do have a lot of members in AZ and goot tort vets are VERY hard to come by.

BTW, I'm also very glad that yours checked out and are all good. I was just so flabbergasted that I forgot to say it earlier in my reply.

My vet is listed in the TFO vet list, he also agrees with that humidity is the key to eliminate pyramiding. This stuff is getting out there!

Badgemash

5 Year Member
We went to Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital in Mesa and saw Dr. Johnson http://www.azeah.com/Home.asp They're on the vet list already, is there somewhere else I should post it? It seems like a nice facility and he took the time to answer all of our questions thoroughly even though it meant we went over our allotted appointment time.

He referenced some studies in Europe using Sulcatas and that's also how he raises his own torts.

-Devon

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Badgemash said:
We went to Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital in Mesa and saw Dr. Johnson http://www.azeah.com/Home.asp They're on the vet list already, is there somewhere else I should post it? It seems like a nice facility and he took the time to answer all of our questions thoroughly even though it meant we went over our allotted appointment time.

He referenced some studies in Europe using Sulcatas and that's also how he raises his own torts.

-Devon

Here is a link about the study that your vet mentioned. Interesting reading. The Arizona Exotic hospital is very good, my wife volunteered there a few times. Dr. Driggers of the Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic of Arizona is another good alternative. He's located in Gilbert.

http://africantortoise.com/_sulcatadiet2.pdf

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Devon. I hope everyone in AZ starts using this vet. Sounds like it was a great experience.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Thank you for the link to that study. I assume this is the "flawed" Austrian study the the guy from the Tortoise Trust had issues with in the Sulcata thread? After reading it I can't see any major flaws other than possibly repeating with a larger group for statistical accuracy. I definitely don't see any problems with how they've interpreted the data, the results seem pretty straightforward.

I am curious though about the references to G. elegans being an exception. In what way are they thought to be different? I've seen photos of badly pyramided star tortoises so I'm not sure what they meant by that.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Badgemash said:

-Devon

Yeah! I just checked out his website...very impressive...a few quirks but excellent overall! Check out his care sheet...intersting!

http://www.azeah.com/Care-Sheets.asp?id=105

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some random pics of a bunch of the Gpp babies. Weights were 36-41 when I got them and are up to 53-60 now except for one monster who is up to 80. Can't explain that one. All pics were taken today.

egbjpf.jpg

r85p3a.jpg

ka47eg.jpg

2drcew8.jpg

15wkym8.jpg

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
WOW!!! The little youngin's are looking great Tom!! I love the pic of the little guy looking over his shoulder (4th pic down). Can't wait to finally get ours!! 80 grams, that's crazy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, they all hatched around the same time, but that one is like a bad weed. She doesn't eat any more than the others or do anything different. She's just huge and getting huge-er.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
Badgemash said:

-Devon

Yeah! I just checked out his website...very impressive...a few quirks but excellent overall! Check out his care sheet...intersting!

http://www.azeah.com/Care-Sheets.asp?id=105

Better than most. Things are getting closer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update: They all continue to do well. No problems to report. No shell rot. No respiratory problems of any kind. Nice, steady, smooth growth. My tiniest little one is up to 88 grams and most of them are between 110-150 grams. Remember they are from several different clutches with different hatch dates. I've built them a big outdoor pen, but I'll post those pics on the SA Leopard thread.

2v0imvs.jpg

rbcfg7.jpg

mlh5bs.jpg

2mmcohy.jpg

16bylc7.jpg

ejhid1.jpg

20j5wrs.jpg

2hhiyj9.jpg

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
They look awesome, do you spray them for pics or are they literally kept that wet constantly?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jeffbens0n said:
They look awesome, do you spray them for pics or are they literally kept that wet constantly?

I spray them several times a day. I think pics look better when they are wet.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tom said:
Update: They all continue to do well. No problems to report. No shell rot. No respiratory problems of any kind. Nice, steady, smooth growth. My tiniest little one is up to 88 grams and most of them are between 110-150 grams. Remember they are from several different clutches with different hatch dates. I've built them a big outdoor pen, but I'll post those pics on the SA Leopard thread.

2v0imvs.jpg

rbcfg7.jpg

mlh5bs.jpg

2mmcohy.jpg

16bylc7.jpg

ejhid1.jpg

20j5wrs.jpg

2hhiyj9.jpg

[/quote

They look great but you have one problem you have to many for that enclosure you need to get rid of one or two or :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Corey, you are suffering for a terrible case of tortoise envy. I know this because I frequently suffer from this affliction as well. There is no cure, but acquiring more torts does seem to help a bit.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tom said:
Corey, you are suffering for a terrible case of tortoise envy. I know this because I frequently suffer from this affliction as well. There is no cure, but acquiring more torts does seem to help a bit.

So what are you saying I should be waiting for a Fedex truck with a little box for me that says from Tom:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
coreyc said:
Tom said:

So what are you saying I should be waiting for a Fedex truck with a little box for me that says from Tom:p

Hey there's a price for everything. How bad do you want one?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tom said:
coreyc said:
Tom said:

Hey there's a price for everything. How bad do you want one? I just seen a popup ad on the home page for tires buy three get one free does that apply to torts also?
you had to say that you got me thinking :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.