Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
coreyc said:
Good call Erin ;) Unless that is your boyfriend that's is very unprofessional
Ditto.

I really don't understand how it is unprofessional?
either way he would've had to lean against me, at least this way he didn't have his entire arm resting against my chest.
I guess I shouldn't have posted that picture...
I had a great experience and never felt uncomfortable, my tattoo artist was extremely professional. He is a married man with children, and his wife was in the room half the time chatting with my friends. Thanks fmadrigal :) I think you get how it actually works!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Skyler sorry if I offended you.I get it to having friends that own shops I having spent countless hours in them I just posted my opinion what I have seen;) I am glad you had a great experience that is all that matters. You posted a pic I made a comment . Again sorry it is just an opinion no big deal what matters is that you had a good time :)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Skyler Nell said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
coreyc said:
Ditto.

either way he would've had to lean against me, at least this way he didn't have his entire arm resting against my chest.
I had a great experience and never felt uncomfortable, my tattoo artist was extremely professional. He is a married man with children, and his wife was in the room half the time chatting with my friends. Thanks fmadrigal :) I think you get how it actually works!

The point is pretty simple. I've had over 70 hours of tattoo work done on me and I worked in tattoo shops for years. I'm pretty sure I get how it actually works. Here is how it actually works: generally speaking if a person is young and attractive, then the artist is much more inclined to get physically closer and have more contact with his/her client. That doesn't necessarily mean the artist is a psycho sexual predator, but it also doesn't mean that it's the 'most professional' choice. It is just the reality of how it works. If it makes someone uncomfortable, then thats a problem. If it doesn't, then there is absolutely no problem. The problem is that most people are somewhat uncomfortable and nervous getting tattooed, especially if they are young and it is their first time. Due to being nervous and "not getting how it actually works" most people are unlikely to say something if they feel uncomfortable about a position (physically or emotionally). There are lots of things that a tattoo artist can lean on when tattooing. Many actually feel it is better not to lean their body weight onto their client, because the client can move at any given time. The artist has no control over whether or not the client will move. Because of this, many artists will choose to use a stationary object like a portable armrest made and sold for this specific reason. By doing this, the artist ensures that his/her base is stable despite what the customer does. If the client moves, the artist just lifts his/her wrist and waits for the client to settle.

The flip side to this is that some artists feel that they must "secure" the client by holding them down. I disagree with that approach. I've working in a shop where that was the mindset and I think the cons outweighed the pros, both in the outcome of the work and the overall customer experience. Other artists think, "I have to be here doing this every day. You are only going to be here a few hours. I'm getting comfortable and I don't care how you feel." Again, not an approach I support. Some artists just don't have the experience or skill level to tattoo at off angles. (Skyler: I am not implying this is how your particular artist felt, Im just mentioning general situations that I have encountered.)

Skyler Nell: At the end of the day, you had a great experience and you never felt uncomfortable at all. That is all that matters! It sounds like you felt your artist was very professional, and so it sounds like he probably would have repositioned himself if you had been uncomfortable. You weren't and so he didn't have to, no big deal. Tattoos and tattooing are both very personal and what makes one person uncomfortable might not make another person uncomfortable at all. All that matters is that you had a good experience and that you are happy with the result!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
CtTortoise said:
Skyler Nell said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
coreyc said:
Ditto.

The point is pretty simple. I've had over 70 hours of tattoo work done on me and I worked in tattoo shops for years. I'm pretty sure I get how it actually works. Here is how it actually works: generally speaking if a person is young and attractive, then the artist is much more inclined to get physically closer and have more contact with his/her client. That doesn't necessarily mean the artist is a psycho sexual predator, but it also doesn't mean that it's the 'most professional' choice. It is just the reality of how it works. If it makes someone uncomfortable, then thats a problem. If it doesn't, then there is absolutely no problem. The problem is that most people are somewhat uncomfortable and nervous getting tattooed, especially if they are young and it is their first time. Due to being nervous and "not getting how it actually works" most people are unlikely to say something if they feel uncomfortable about a position (physically or emotionally). There are lots of things that a tattoo artist can lean on when tattooing. Many actually feel it is better not to lean their body weight onto their client, because the client can move at any given time. The artist has no control over whether or not the client will move. Because of this, many artists will choose to use a stationary object like a portable armrest made and sold for this specific reason. By doing this, the artist ensures that his/her base is stable despite what the customer does. If the client moves, the artist just lifts his/her wrist and waits for the client to settle.

The flip side to this is that some artists feel that they must "secure" the client by holding them down. I disagree with that approach. I've working in a shop where that was the mindset and I think the cons outweighed the pros, both in the outcome of the work and the overall customer experience. Other artists think, "I have to be here doing this every day. You are only going to be here a few hours. I'm getting comfortable and I don't care how you feel." Again, not an approach I support. Some artists just don't have the experience or skill level to tattoo at off angles. (Skyler: I am not implying this is how your particular artist felt, Im just mentioning general situations that I have encountered.)

Skyler Nell: At the end of the day, you had a great experience and you never felt uncomfortable at all. That is all that matters! It sounds like you felt your artist was very professional, and so it sounds like he probably would have repositioned himself if you had been uncomfortable. You weren't and so he didn't have to, no big deal. Tattoos and tattooing are both very personal and what makes one person uncomfortable might not make another person uncomfortable at all. All that matters is that you had a good experience and that you are happy with the result!

Touche

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Skyler Nell said:
CtTortoise said:
Skyler Nell said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
coreyc said:
Ditto.

Touche

Touche ?

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
touché:
A word derived from French that is used most-commonly when someone makes a particularly good point in an arguement and leaves the opponent (the touché sayer) speechless or at a loss for words.
ie. A: Why can't you put the toilet seat down?
B: Why can't you get a job and stop flirting with other guys?
A: Touché.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
haha is that from urban dictionary? Their definitions always make me laugh :)

Anyways, I'm glad you had a great experience Skyler! And your tattoo turned out awesome! I wish this tattoo artist would email me back so I could get mine done! I had a dream last night that I got it and it turned out awesome ;)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
coreyc said:
Here is a pic of my latest one I have have several watch out they can become addicting :D
s1697517161_18155_7605978.jpg

The Lion and the Lamb :D

My pastor has that exact tattoo on his right arm. Not as big as yours of course lol

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
ChiKat said:
haha is that from urban dictionary? Their definitions always make me laugh :)

Anyways, I'm glad you had a great experience Skyler! And your tattoo turned out awesome! I wish this tattoo artist would email me back so I could get mine done! I had a dream last night that I got it and it turned out awesome ;)

hahaha yes it is :)
and thank you!!
what are your plans for your tattoo???
The anticipation is horrible isn't it? Do you have any yet?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
This will be my first tattoo. I want to get a shooting star with swirls as the trail. I plan on getting it on my ribcage.
These are two of the images I sent to the tattoo artist as inspiration for the design:
ribstattoosexywomenRenesTattoo.jpg

images.jpg

I want to incorporate blue into it...I originally thought dark blue but in my dream last night my tattoo was light blue and I liked it, haha!

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
That reminds of when I got my first tattoo. It was on my ankle and the tattoo artist just takes my foot and puts it in his lap. I didn't mind that little bit of intimacy but I thought he was a incredibly brave considering how nervous I was. Haha!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
ChiKat,
I really like the second one and I can totally picture it in light blue or royal blue. What was your Dads favorite color? You might want to find a way to incorperate his initals. Just a thought.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
His favorite color was blue :)
I have thought about incorporating his initials! If this tattoo artist ever responds I will ask about that too :p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm getting it on Thursday :D

Also, my tattoo artist recommends using Eucerin Aquaphor...good idea?

jsphr90

5 Year Member
i have 5 altogether my latest one still isnt finished yet tho :p i plan on getting a geochelone one very soon, i'll upload pics of the one i have tomorrow, its late ^___^

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
ChiKat said:
I'm getting it on Thursday :D

Also, my tattoo artist recommends using Eucerin Aquaphor...good idea?

Yay Katie :) exciting! I'm sure it will turn out great. That will work. I looked up a BUNCH of websites for aftercare and it is much disputed haha. I listened to what my best friend (who has over 3000 dollars worth of work) and she said wash 2 times a day with hot water and dial soap (or any other anti-bacterial soap with no added colors or scents) and then apply a thin layer of A&D ointment. This worked great for me! I used the A&D for about 5 days, until it was pretty much healed and switched over to plain old Eucerin lotion. Most important thing is to not let it get dry and scab because the scab can take the color off!...You must be getting excited!

finleafeater said:
Picture0143.jpg

best friend tattoo, inside joke.

Is it real Rachel?? it looks like it could be marker lol super tiny!

Status
Not open for further replies.