sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
So, it has been nice and sunny the past few days. I have been putting my RT out in it for 40 minutes or so. Every time I do he wants to go hide under something. As mentioned in my intro I believe he is around 4 years of age. I feel like possibly he was never placed outside much if at all. What might be the reason for his finding cover every time. It's not humid, and the temp is only 60. In the sun it feels great! I am currently in sandals, short sleeve shirt and shorts.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Instinct to not be eaten by unseen predators, mainly.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
So, he is still receivingthe rays needed then?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yes, even torts hiding in the shade are getting the benefit of sunshine. Like all reptiles, they move into or out of direct sunlight, depending on the temperature they need to attain. But just being outside gets them some sunlight, even if they are not basking in it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My uncle once got third degree sunburn sitting under shade at lake mead...there are several studies that have measured the amount of uv rays at different distances in the shade...1 foot in 2 feet in etc......so yes your little one is getting the benefits of the natural sun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.