Is this enough sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada caro

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
My russian receives sun since 9 am until 4 pm is this enough sun for him. I don't have a basking light since the temp. here varies from 78 to 95 almost all the year. Do I need a uv light, he hides from the sunlight sometimes. I have him in a cement mixing tub in terrace but am building him an outside enclosure 6ft.x 6ft where he will get sun from 11 am to 4 pm, is this enough sun or should I take him to my terrace to receive the morning sun.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It should be enough sun. I am sure your going to find he will bask for a bit, go into the shade and then come back out into the sun off and on. He will know how much sun he needs and when he may get too warm and be needing shade to also cool off in. We humans know they need the sun, but as of yet, we are only making guesses as to how much and how often it is really needed for each species and at each stage in their development and life.

EKLC

5 Year Member
That is a great amount of sun. Your tort is very lucky

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like a good amount of sun exposure to me. No need for a UV light if he can get that much sun daily.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup...that is great sun time....either the 9 or 11 am start to 4 pm...some tortoise like the am sun as well because it is a gradual warm up which allows them the opportunity to absorb uv for longer periods of time at a lower rate before they have to high tail it into the shade to cool down.... :D

ada caro

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
How much sun are they suppose to get daily.

ascott said:
Yup...that is great sun time....either the 9 or 11 am start to 4 pm...some tortoise like the am sun as well because it is a gradual warm up which allows them the opportunity to absorb uv for longer periods of time at a lower rate before they have to high tail it into the shade to cool down.... :D
How much sun are they suppose to get daily.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Outside, even on a cloudy day, your tort is exposed to UV from the sun. My worst ever sunburn was on a humid overcast day in high summer :(

So, if your tort is living outdoors for the majority of daylight hours there is no need for additional artificial UV and you do not need to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.