No Sun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I just moved into a new apartment in Miami and realized that my north facing balcony gets no direct sun (at least this time of year). My small Russian was living happily in an outdoor enclosure on my sunny balcony in San Diego and I had hoped to have the same set up here in Miami. I assume there's enough UV but I don't think I can achieve a high enough temp naturally so I'm interested in alternatives. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Patrick

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I just moved into a new apartment in Miami and realized that my north facing balcony gets no direct sun (at least this time of year). My small Russian was living happily in an outdoor enclosure on my sunny balcony in San Diego and I had hoped to have the same set up here in Miami. I assume there's enough UV but I don't think I can achieve a high enough temp naturally so I'm interested in alternatives. Does anyone have suggestions?

Here is the enclosure I'm working with.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-49165.html#axzz2CQgAwlju

Thanks!

Patrick

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Oops! Didn't realize it was outdoors. You might consider a CHE in an enclosed enclosure. (It also helps keep humidity up.) Not sure if they're OK for outside though, but i assume they would be as long as it doesn't rain or freeze.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Darn, that is a difficult situation. So your balcony doesn't even get a couple of hours of sun?
You can't use lighting outside, the fixtures generally are not waterproof. It is possible that he will have to become an indoor tort with an MVB for UV.

Torts can get UV in shade, but since the balcony never gets sun...
Maybe post pictures of your balcony for more ideas?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. What about a surface heat source? I've seen some reptile heating pads. There is no direct sun at all. Is there enough uv in the shade without direct rays?

arotester

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Darn, that is a difficult situation. So your balcony doesn't even get a couple of hours of sun?
You can't use lighting outside, the fixtures generally are not waterproof. It is possible that he will have to become an indoor tort with an MVB for UV.

Torts can get UV in shade, but since the balcony never gets sun...
Maybe post pictures of your balcony for more ideas?

ditto...you need to worry about the heating ,UV will be present there in the balcony if the sun is out.Hope somebody helps you out soon.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
pdelpizzo said:
I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. What about a surface heat source? I've seen some reptile heating pads. There is no direct sun at all. Is there enough uv in the shade without direct rays?

Russians really like to bask and warm up in the sun (or under a light if inside) in the morning to warm up. Not sure yours would be able to do that with shade. However, if it is warm enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would move. Seriously. If my living situation couldn't accommodate my pets, I'd change it. Can you get an apt. on the other side of the building?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
We'll be here for a year and then probably move somewhere more permanent. Hopefully a house. I didn't have the luxury of being too choosy this time around. I could let her bask indoors in the morning and then put her outside if I can find a suitable heat source. Otherwise, I suppose she'll have to just be indoors for the year.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
She is going to live a long time. That will work.
My guess is that you will have a very tort friendly home the next time you move.

Status
Not open for further replies.