Someone stop me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I definitely do not have a herd like some of our other esteemed members, BUT I wanted ONE Sulcata... then the breeder offered me a great deal on TWO, so naturally I bit on the offer... then about a month later, along comes TOM with an offer that COULD NOT BE REFUSED... needless to say I'm up to THREE & I've gone from a $10 30"x11"x4" enclosure to a $60 80"x24"x4" enclosure... and now I'm knocking out a wall and installing a 16'x6'x2.5' torto-mansion with an estimated cost of $1,700-$2,200!!!... and I'm NOT ruling out the notion of adding another tortoise to the family! They're like Doritos... once you start you can't stop! :);):D:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
stephiiberrybean said:
So stop me now people before I post in the wanted section and buy myself some hatchling babies!

Okay here goes... Stop! I know you are excited about these fascinating critters, but stop. Give yourself some time to get to really know them. Let yourself have just Squirt for a few months. See what is like in a couple of seasons of living with a tortoise.

You have a lot currently on your plate and you need to be sure your falling for the shells for themselves, not to remove your mind and parts of your heart from the sad problems your currently facing with your horse.

I am not saying to make a permanent stop, more a slowing down. Too many people fall under the charm of tortoises and go rushing off on these huge and awesome sounding plans, only to have in a few weeks, months or even years the return of reason, but also finding themselves too buried to really see a good way out of the situation they find themselves in. Noit saying or even thinking this will be you, but let's not take the chance okay. Just give yourself some time. Dream your dreams, make your plans. If those dreams are solid, a few months will not be a negative factor in creating them.

Believe me, if you pass on those hatchlings now, fate may just make you a better offer down the road a ways. Now is the time to settle back, enjoy, keep learning and just let yourself ride for a bit, with just this one awesome tortoise.

:tort:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Actually, that is good advice for all of us. It is a huge time commitment in terms of their life spans compared to ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.