from a pair to a herd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durago

5 Year Member
Well I now have a herd instead of a pair pretty excited :p but with that also comes new challenges and opportunities. My first question I already think I know the answer to but just want someone to verify. I brought my new Tort home and soaked her for about 25-30 minutes and as they always do she used the bathroom in the water but what I noticed with my new Tort is there seemed to be alot of hay looking material in the water. With her being a redfoot, I was surprised because mine have never had anything that looked like that I feed mine greens fruit and Mazuri so I was thinking this Tort had been outside and maybe grazing more then having greens and such fed to her. Is that possible? Do Redfoot's graze? I mean I know they graze some but this much seemed like ALOT but maybe not as I am still new to the Redfoot's world also I noticed that when I put the food bowl down my other Torts as usual went right for it. But I had to put my new girl, who is just a little bigger than the other two, in the bowl to get her to eat. I am thinking that this is just an acclimation issue. My final thought or question is about feeding since i have never had a herd before I was wondering if I need to set up 2 feeding sites instead of just one? My herd is only a grand total of 3 so I was not sure if this was needed - thanks in advance for your response:tort:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
If I am feeding prepared foods I always offer either more than one dish or make the meal into a long line vs. a big pile. That way they all have "front row" feeding at the line.

You said your tort is new, so maybe it ate alot of grasses before you got it. Regardless, I would not worry about a poop full of grass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what grass looks like when it comes out the other end. Also, the stems from broad-leaf weeds and plants look like hay when they come out. It just means that your new tortoise hasn't been fed a lot of grocery store foods.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Reds do often graze, contrary to popular belief. Are you mixing them? I would definitely offer a quarantine period

Status
Not open for further replies.