house breaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
o.k. Once a very long time ago i had herd you can actually house break a tortoise to go to the bathroom on a brown paper bag or news paper.
Has anyone ever herd of this? And if so, how can it possibly be done?
My Bert Is kinda funny about pooping in his box and hasnt gone in it once since i have had him for the last 6 months,an aocasionally pee but never poops until i take him out side. ( and he better start cause Its gonna start snowing soon so he wont have a choice!)
anyone ever hear such a thing? I plan on letting him roam around the house sometimes so he can get some exorcise while snow bound all winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really doubt it can be done, but if someone who has a lot of time on his hands wants to try it...

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
emysemys said:
I really doubt it can be done, but if someone who has a lot of time on his hands wants to try it...
Ha! We are gonna have ALOT of time on our hands! It should be an interresting expirement!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I saw "house breaking" and immediately thought of sulcatas crashing through interior walls and undermining home foundations with tunnels... To be honest, I was hoping for a picture of a rascally sulcata poking halfway though a wall, covered in drywall dust and giving a huge grin. Oh well.

Generally speaking I don't think that reptiles can be housebroken. I did know someone who claimed to have a housebroken adult iguana, but there were frequent "accidents." I'd say your best bet to train your tort would be to adopt a regular feeding/warm soak schedule. If you give the soak a couple hours after the meal, I bet they'd void consistently; however, I'd also be willing to bet that you're going to be cleaning up at least an "accident" a week.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
The only way that I've heard of "housebreaking" a tort is actually just to get them on a very strict routine. A family friend has a tortoise that she will wake up, feed, then soak in warm water every morning. The tortoise is so used to it, that it poops in the water and doesn't go for the rest of the day. She then lets it roam around the house (I'm almost certain that there will be occasional accidents though).

I don't think it's going to really work to give them a box to go in like you would a cat. Cats have an urge to bury their stuff, torts don't. Torts just let it lay wherever seems nice.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
My tortoise usually goes all day and it is only until she is brought inside that she decides to go to the bathroom. I'm convinced she does it on purpose.
Not really 'training' but I've heard people find success in encouraging a poop routine, if you will, aided by soaking.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
chairman said:
I saw "house breaking" and immediately thought of sulcatas crashing through interior walls and undermining home foundations with tunnels... To be honest, I was hoping for a picture of a rascally sulcata poking halfway though a wall, covered in drywall dust and giving a huge grin. Oh well.

Generally speaking I don't think that reptiles can be housebroken. I did know someone who claimed to have a housebroken adult iguana, but there were frequent "accidents." I'd say your best bet to train your tort would be to adopt a regular feeding/warm soak schedule. If you give the soak a couple hours after the meal, I bet they'd void consistently; however, I'd also be willing to bet that you're going to be cleaning up at least an "accident" a week.
I will try the soaking after he eats. I have been soaking him in the morning before he eats, after that he seems ravenous. I know it helps the digestive, so it makes sense to wait a couple hours then soak. He has never done his buisness while soaking, so maybe this will help.

still laughing about the visual of "house breakin" with dry wall dust all over. As a kid we had a desert tort. she knew how to open doors and would let herself inside. So i guess it could happen:) . thanks for the tip!

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
PeanutbuttER said:
The only way that I've heard of "housebreaking" a tort is actually just to get them on a very strict routine. A family friend has a tortoise that she will wake up, feed, then soak in warm water every morning. The tortoise is so used to it, that it poops in the water and doesn't go for the rest of the day. She then lets it roam around the house (I'm almost certain that there will be occasional accidents though).

I don't think it's going to really work to give them a box to go in like you would a cat. Cats have an urge to bury their stuff, torts don't. Torts just let it lay wherever seems nice.
I soak Bert only a couple times a week sometimes 3 if he looks like he wants it. How often is it safe to soak them? I am concerned about shell rot. I keep his substrate misted to keep up the humidity and he has a dry spot under his lamp and where he likes to go sleep at night. how often do you soak yours? I noticed you also have R.F. I am still pretty new to all this. Give me a horse and i can tell you exactly what he is thinking! but I am still wandering around with this guy! :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I know what you mean. I'm also pretty new to the world of tortoises as well.

I'd be watchful if you're going to let your redfoot have the run of the house. There are a lot of little things on the floor that they can eat or bite that would be bad. If there's something bad for them hidden on the floor or behind a chair, they'll find it in time. Redfoots have an ever inquisitive nature. When I first got my torts I wanted to housebreak them, but after a while I decided that I was too worried about accidently stepping on them at some point. It just freaks me out.

There's no set fast rule on soaking that I'm aware of. As far as shell rot goes, you shouldn't have a problem if you let him dry out after soaking him (you could either towel dry him or just let him walk around until he's dry, whichever you prefer). I'm not an expert, but it seems that shell rot comes more from having a shell that is constantly wet than one that gets wet daily and also can dry out in between. I'd assume accordingly that shell rot isn't caused by soaking.

I don't soak very often. Maybe a couple times a month. I soak my hatchling Maui more often than my "big" 6" Kiwi. Plus, if you are offering water at all times, then they can choose when they want to soak themselves.

It takes a while, but at some point everything will click and you'll just KNOW what they're thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.