So, what's your profession or dream job

margykid

Hi.I wondered what jobs everyone had.I am afraid I can't start of with an answer as I am only 11 and don't have a job.But I have lots of ambitions from being a vet,author,scientist,ape expert,tortoise breeder or a doctor.If you don't have a job what are your ambitions?;):)
Please describe your favourite part of your job and the worst part.:);)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
This is a cool thread. I'm Shannon, 35, I'm an occupational therapist practitioner. I work with cognitively impiared children and adults. My job is VERY rewarding and challenging!!! I do come home many night with bruises, hair pulled, getting hit, I thought I lost all my teeth once, fingers bend back a lot, nails digging in hand a lot, etc. I work with some very aggressive clients!! However...a zoologist would have been right up my alley!! I really wish I could have gone that route, but couldn't afford that schooling!!! Another direction I'm slowly taking with my career is animal assisted therapy. I want to incorporate animals into others lives (that are willing) but this is a process!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
This is a cool thread. I'm Shannon, 35, I'm an occupational therapist practitioner. I work with cognitively impiared children and adults. My job is VERY rewarding and challenging!!! I do come home many night with bruises, hair pulled, getting hit, I thought I lost all my teeth once, fingers bend back a lot, nails digging in hand a lot, etc. I work with some very aggressive clients!! However...a zoologist would have been right up my alley!! I really wish I could have gone that route, but couldn't afford that schooling!!! Another direction I'm slowly taking with my career is animal assisted therapy. I want to incorporate animals into others lives (that are willing) but this is a process!!!
Wow! Do you like your job? Sounds really tough.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Wow! Do you like your job? Sounds really tough.
Yes...I do like my job. It's just exhausting as any job! I have great days too at work :)! I really do love my clients! Some days they have very intense meltdowns and their central nervous systems do not process like yours and mine, which creates very intense physical and aggressive behaviors. I would love to be with animals all day long though! I would love to study behaviors of animals such as reptiles/tarantuas in their natural habitats in the wild!! That would be great!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hi I'm Noel and I'm 41. I live in Phoenix AZ
Right now, I work for one of the major shipping companies, which brought me back to Phoenix, AZ
I've done many of the dream jobs I've wanted including:
Owning a business
Flight Attendant
Vet Tech
Tug Boat Engineer in the Navy

All these jobs were very fun in their own way, but I would love to work at a sea turtle rehabilitation hospital. I just love sea turtles and have always wanted to work with them.
I love sea turtles too!! I have always wanted to do the same-rehabilitate them!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I would probably take leave of absence or vacation and work with them for a summer in Florida or somewhere warm first :)
I almost went to Honduras many years ago for the Archie Carr-Caribbean Conservation corporation to help out with studying and such for a week, way too much money & the husband wasn't liking that idea! But I really want to go visit the turtle hospital in Marathon, Fl. I guess it's the closest to me!!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I almost went to Honduras many years ago for the Archie Carr-Caribbean Conservation corporation to help out with studying and such for a week, way too much money & the husband wasn't liking that idea! But I really want to go visit the turtle hospital in Marathon, Fl. I guess it's the closest to me!!
I love that hospital! We have a condo down there. We visit those guys a lot :)

TCZaro

New England
Right now I'm a freshman in college, studying to become a Chemical Engineer. I really don't know if I will end up as a Chemical Engineer, but my dream job would be working in some type of science field. Any tips for a college kid?

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Well I’m an old man now, but I started out as a carpenter when I was 17. My Grandfather immigrated to the US from Edinburgh with his whole family. He immediately set up a carpenter shop for all his children and I guess it was always expected of me to do the same. I have to admit that I did love it especially building houses. I don’t know why but it was just so gratifying to walk up to an empty foundation and seeing a structure by the end of the day built with my own hands.

I went to college in my early 20’s and did a lot other things since, but for a dream job I’d have to say a professional dancer. I was always discouraged by my friends and family who thought I was crazy and advised me to stay with jobs that were secure in making a living so that’s what I did. I’m getting ready to retire now so a dream job is out of the question.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Johnny - when you retire you can dance to your heart's content! Do whatever you want. Nobody says you have to stay home and sit in your recliner reading the paper. Get out there and dance.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Hey, Johnny - when you retire you can dance to your heart's content! Do whatever you want. Nobody says you have to stay home and sit in your recliner reading the paper. Get out there and dance.
Thanks Yvonne, but I don’t see this broken down body doing any fancy dance moves these days LOL. Well not making any money at it anyway unless it was in a comedy show.:D

JAYGEE

I work for the City of Houston's animal shelter, and have been here 5 years. I dream job, thats tough because I love what I do and im damn good too, but I hate the politicle crap that goes on here. My favorite part is talking to people and see what their lifestyle is and matching them with an animal that will fit into their home perfectly. I can say that after talking to people and getting a feel for them I can usually take them to a certain amimal, and it is the perfect match!

I also worked as a assistant kennel manager at the Humane Society of El Paso when I lived there for a few years.

I have also worked at the El Paso Zoo only for a short time as my wife and I were ready to come back to Houston.

I have worked in a machine shop, good money but just wasnt for me. I figured if every time I pull up, and I before getting out of my car I would say how much I hated it, so I decided to put my resume online and got a call the next day for my current job and have been here ever since!

Magilla504

I have been a professional fire fighter for about ten years. I work in northern Virginia on a heavy rescue company. This is a really awesome job with every shift being full of surprises because we never see the same thing! Unfortunately, you sometimes see some awful things. My heavy rescue company is a unit that is specialized to run fires, vehicle extrication, confines space, rope rescues, trench rescues and building collapses. Sometimes it makes for a busy day!
My dream job other than fire fighting would be fishing on my boat all day :)

Peytons torts

I really want to be a vet tech and aside tort breeder I plan on going to vet tech school after I graduate then move out to a flat horse ranch to kept and breed dulcet as and aldabras and all types of smaller species :) :)