What else tickles your pickle??

TheTattooedTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Wales, UK
Hey All, thought I'd start this thread as I'm curious to see what other members of the forum around the world like to do in their spare time?!
So as pre the title....
What tickles your pickle????

I'm part of an electric skateboard crew, The Northern Monkeys.
We shred all over the country, on/off road, track events etc.
I grew up skating and could only ever dream of a day where electric skateboards were a 'thing', now everywhere is a "hill bomb" at the pull of a trigger ??

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what other people get up to in their free time??

Attachments

• 20201106_184103.jpg
    20201106_184103.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 1599074608995_adobe.jpg
    1599074608995_adobe.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides turtles and tortoises I have an extensive collection of cacti and succulents.

Cactus Garden 5-12-12 c.jpgcactus garden c.jpgcactus garden d.jpgcactus garden e.jpgcactus-1.jpgcactus-2.jpg

The third picture is my saguaro cactus. My husband brought me either seeds or a tiny 1" potted saguaro cactus (old age memory) from one of his motorcycle trips that took him through the desert, about 30 or 40 years ago. This picture was a couple years ago. The plant is now taller than I, but still has no arms.

Last edited:

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Besides turtles and tortoises I have an extensive collection of cacti and succulents.
Nice, I'd love to see a few photos when you have time! I rescued a tiny cactus a year or two ago from my son's school 'fundraiser event'..
It looked very sorry for itself but I've potted it up several times and been feeding it and it's amazing how much it's come on!

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
That's cool!

I rode a bike until last summer. I've sold it for a several reasons, but I'll definitely ride it again in a few years!

View attachment 323966View attachment 323967
Oh yes! That's a mean looking bit of kit! My old man's a big bike guy, these days he keeps it chill though. Harley 1200 sportster and an Indian Scout. He says He's too old for speed... now it's just about looking cool ??

Reactions: ISU

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I grew up skating too. Back in the late 70s and 80s when it was a "thing" here in southern CA. The old Dog Town days... Still love it. I tried real hard and did all sorts of crazy stunts that should have ended my life, but in all honesty, I was never very good at it. I sure tried though, and had immeasurable fun. I've dabbled in some of the new electric skate stuff, including the "one wheel", but never taken the plunge. The cost of a crash at my age and in my station in life is more than I can bear, I think. Same reason I stopped racing motocross and riding street bikes. I had a CBR600 for 22 years, and still have my YZF250.

My hobbies and pastimes now are lower impact activities. SCUBA with my daughter, defensive shooting classes and range practice, tortoise farming on an ever increasing scale, and falconry possesses my heart and mind for 6 months of every year. I also enjoy flying and driving R/C vehicles. Drones, planes, and off road racers. I still do bite work with my dogs too, but that has taken a back seat in recent years.

Here is a thread on the falconry that I started to share my journey with my TFO family here:

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Wow @Tom, that is awesome! I can only imagine how amazing it was growing up surrounded by the early skate culture in SoCal... your very lucky, although to you I'm sure it was just 'the norm'.
Your definitely right In what your saying about the electric skate scene,
Its fantastic, but inevitably your going to eat dirt at some point... and I certainly don't 'bounce' like I used too! ? when you have a life as busy as yours I sure do understand the knock on effect that hurting yourself could have so I see why you've 'calmed down' a bit! Hehe
Scuba diving is amazing, it's like another world down there... I've been a few times while out in Cyprus, I can imagine it being pretty immense state side!
The water here in UK is cold and dark so it's not something I've ever bothered looking into on home turf.

Thanks for posting your Falconry thread, very interesting stuff, a friend of mine has Harris Hawks and has always said he would love a Falcon.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Tom... was a great read! ???

Reactions: Tom

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I collect and repair older Japanese motorcycles.
Mostly Kawasakis.
However, riding them has to wait for my back to get better. If indeed it ever does.
Eye and back issues took me off the road about a year ago.
Right now I'm still collecting vintage parts when I can find them for Kawasaki A, H and Z series from the 60s and early 70s.

Attachments

• 20181211_104928.jpg
    20181211_104928.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 5

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Nice! @ZEROPILOT, I'm sorry to hear your health has temporarily held you back. I wish you the speediest of recoveries in getting back in the saddle!

I suffer terribly with my back after spending years hunched over in awkward positions while tattooing so I feel your pain.... literally.

Those bikes look mint! ????

Before he passed on, the wife's Granpa used to have an old 1970-ish Honda CB 550 I think it was... never wanted for a thing in its life! But he was always a jap enthusiast.

He also rode a bike with a sidecar for nearly a decade ? proper old timer he was!

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
I had a 71 Honda cb450 when I was a kid, but I am not a bike guy. UTVs and ATVs these days. Not the fun kind either, I have the kind that carry tools :(

@ZEROPILOT do you machine any of the parts? If you do what brand of Lathe do you use? I am in the market for a small metal lathe.

I like to make things, that's my main money pit. My wife says, "you may like woodworking, but I know you use it to justify your tool addiction." To which I say, that's simply not true. Can I buy the CNC router or not?" :p I am waiting on approval from her to buy an X carve, it's already in the cart! Also shopping for a small cnc plasma cutter.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
1989 Camaro IROC-Z...
100_4845.JPG
Started with a 327...then to a 350 and now an LT1 with a buncha speed equipment.
100_4844.JPG
I am into illegal street racing and drifting. I road race against myself in the Oregon Cascades...I am very hot rod motivated

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a 71 Honda cb450 when I was a kid, but I am not a bike guy. UTVs and ATVs these days. Not the fun kind either, I have the kind that carry tools :(

@ZEROPILOT do you machine any of the parts? If you do what brand of Lathe do you use? I am in the market for a small metal lathe.

I like to make things, that's my main money pit. My wife says, "you may like woodworking, but I know you use it to justify your tool addiction." To which I say, that's simply not true. Can I buy the CNC router or not?" :p I am waiting on approval from her to buy an X carve, it's already in the cart! Also shopping for a small cnc plasma cutter.
No.
But I do have a simple cylinder boring machine somewhere out in the garage
I also have a Harbor Freight Platinum inverter welder and a Vulcan plasma cutter.
They'll all be at my wifes yard sale after I croak.