She's a he? Possible prolapse

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
The vet said she's doing really well. He expects a full recovery. As long as I'm doing things the way I am, he thinks she well be fine. With no surgery! She's said that he likes the area that I made for her to keep her clean. She said that she swapped her organ and said that he couldn't find anything dirty on it at all.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Dex is doing much better. The dead tissue is coming off nicely and she's eating fine and is going to the bathroom.

I'm still doing soaks 2-3 times a day, adding the medicated ointment in the morning and at night. Two other times I put mineral oil on it.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
They also did a feces check to further investigate what may have caused it, the results came back negative. They thought it could have been caused by parasites, but that's not the case here....so nothing clogging her up and no parasites or any other bad things. Maybe she just needs cactus more than once a week to soften the stool to cleanse? Include 100%puree pumpkin like I've tried this week (she never liked fresh pumpkin beyond a few good bites).

She's getting out a healthy solid poop, but it's no where as big as they used to be. She's still eating daily. Maybe I could try longer warm baths to cause her to force the poop out? I will need to get a bigger kiddie pool because she's learned that is she keeps trying to climb up it, the pool will tip and dump the water. In the beginning, just over a week ago Thursday, she had no problem staying in her warm soaks, sugar water or not, for 30 minutes or more.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think your idea about a bigger pool could be a good one. I know that walking helps keep their innards moving, and she might walk more in the pool if she had a bit more space.:p

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Before I put her ointment on today, she started to make a sound like a person waking up and stretching, with some light groaning. I looked to see what she was doing, and she had her head tucked, bottom lifted and was pooping. Her thing came out about 3 inches and poop emerged and slid out. It's obvious to me that the prolapse was caused from straining to poop. I've been putting pumpkin puree on her food, and giving extra cactus as well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Before I put her ointment on today, she started to make a sound like a person waking up and stretching, with some light groaning. I looked to see what she was doing, and she had her head tucked, bottom lifted and was pooping. Her thing came out about 3 inches and poop emerged and slid out. It's obvious to me that the prolapse was caused from straining to poop. I've been putting pumpkin puree on her food, and giving extra cactus as well.
She seems to be recovering, bless
Sometimes they have extraordinary powers of recuperation
I am so glad that the little one is on the mend Very, very happy for you both.
And after all the time and effort you've put in and what she has had to endure, you both deserve a break.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Dex is completely healed! I saw it three days ago and it looks completely healed. Which still brings me to believe that Dex is a HE, especially since it shouldn't be coming out as a female. I saw it after the soak and Dex was trying to get out. I guess I'll find out in a year or so.

Attachments

• 1430247529616.jpg
    1430247529616.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1430247540838.jpg
    1430247540838.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 24